Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medical Alert Bracelets

I have read a couple of things that suggests bariatric surgery patients should get a medical alert Bracelet. What do you guys think? Should it only be for those that have had gastric bypass or should us banders get one too?

If you registered with the LapBand website (with your packet from your surgeon) then after surgery they will send you a card that states exactly which surgery and which band you have, also lists your surgeons info. I keep mine in my wallet and I gave a copy of it to my hubby and mom, in case of emergency they can give it to the EMS/doctor just to give them a heads up. It doesn't effect MRI's or anything, but if you were in a car accident and had abdominal injuries, I would think they would like to know. The Bracelet isn't a bad idea actually. There is issues with NG tubes being put down into our stomachs without the doctor knowing and it puncturing the stomach, so they would be more aware if you had a bracelet on. Good thought!

I have the card in my wallet but worry they wouldn't find it quickly enough since you'd be tubed pretty quickly if it was that serious and not conscious to tell them. I think an ID Bracelet would be a good idea and am thinking of getting one.

i ordered one and wear it daily and got a discount from eggface.com

i love pink so its a pink medic alert Bracelet

it says

lapband w.plication

no nsaids

no blind tubing

I have the card... But I wonder what purpose would it serve to have the Bracelet? I mean obviously it would alert medical personnel that you are banded but why? I really am curious... I mean I always put it on a medical form and have alerted any drs I have seen for whatever reason...including the dentist.. But I would love to know why you think it would be important info for someone to know in an emergency situation.

This topic has come up before...first hand experience is that the first responders to an accident site will not be looking in your wallet for anything but your driver license.

If you want the EMS and ER/Trauma Center to know about your band, you need to be wearing a medical alert Bracelet or necklace.

good question

i just dont have any answer to offer except that i wanted one and

if something happens, it may help. who knows

as long as i like it, i am fine with it.

I have the card... But I wonder what purpose would it serve to have the Bracelet? I mean obviously it would alert medical personnel that you are banded but why? I really am curious... I mean I always put it on a medical form and have alerted any drs I have seen for whatever reason...including the dentist.. But I would love to know why you think it would be important info for someone to know in an emergency situation.

I think it is because you should not get an NG tube put in blindly, it could puncture your stomach.

Thank you for the replies. I'm just unsure if it would benefit me or not.

good question

i just dont have any answer to offer except that i wanted one and

if something happens, it may help. who knows

as long as i like it, i am fine with it.

And that's a good answer... I was just curious as to why I would need one

I think it is because you should not get an NG tube put in blindly, it could puncture your stomach.

Thank you for the replies. I'm just unsure if it would benefit me or not.

Ok... But please excuse my laymans knowledge of medical terms,.... What's an NG tube?

And that's a good answer... I was just curious as to why I would need one

like sojo said

of something happens, i hope they see my Bracelet

i know alot of people wear one

and i felt it served me better than a card

Ok... But please excuse my laymans knowledge of medical terms' date='.... What's an NG tube?[/quote']

I believe it stands for Naso-Gastric tube but don't quote me on that. :)

I believe it stands for Naso-Gastric tube but don't quote me on that. :)

Interesting,..... I never thought about an emergency situation. I will have to think about this.

i ordered one and wear it daily and got a discount from eggface.com

i love pink so its a pink medic alert Bracelet

it says

lapband w.plication

no nsaids

no blind tubing

I found no Medic alert bands at the site you listed.