Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starving And Sad...

Before the band, I did not like sweets...at all... I would go a whole year without sweet food. I would usually take a bite or two of my birthday cake, or put some sweet potatoes on my thanksgiving plate. But, really, I wasn't into sweets. I wasn't a big soda drinker or juice... My weight packed on because I love savory food. I love spaghetti and meatballs, steak and potatoes, roasted chicken and rice, broccoli and cheese, stuffed pork chops...

I'm only a week in (I had my surgery sept.4,) and if I have another chocolate Protein Shake or strawberry Multivitamin, I think I'm going to explode. I know this phase isn't forever, but I'm not getting the calories I need because eating this stuff is such a chore... And I'm on liquids for another two weeks! Tomato Soup and beef broth only goes so far... Sigh...

Sorry for the rant, but any advice or words of encouragement???

It sucks, there's no two ways about it. I was on liquids for 4 weeks after surgery and I simply hated it. In retrospect, I'm not sure how I made it through those 4 weeks without cheating but somehow I did.

I found V8 makes some surprisingly good Soups without chunks so I could have them on the liquid diet. Tomato Garden, Butternut Squash, and Potato Leek were some of the ones I used to eat. I felt like they gave me substantially more flavor and substance than basic Tomato Soup or broth. Plus, they have a full serving of vegetables in them.

Because I don't like yogurt, my doctor let me have low fat cottage cheese even during the liquids phase. Runny oatmeal, too. I made the oatmeal with skim milk rather than Water to give it Protein and more substance.

Hang in there and know you're not alone. I know it's an awful phase but it will pass and you'll be so proud of yourself for getting through it.

Best wishes.

I also did not like super sweet drinks, so I used a lot of yogurt and creamy Soups when I was on full liquids, as well as Lipton cup-of-soup cream of chicken (YUM).

They do make Protein Drinks that taste more like juice (thinking Isopure and Nectar) and unflavored Protein (which does have a taste but does not have any sweet additives). Unjury also makes a chicken Soup Protein Drink (which I thought was disgusting but some love it).

Grits and cream of wheat too were on my list. My husband eats grits with salt and pepper so that might get you your savory fix. Hang in...it's almost over!!

Split pea Soup has a lot of Protein too! Keep at it! You'll be back to eating savory food soon!

Split pea soup has a lot of Protein too! Keep at it! You'll be back to eating savory food soon!

OMG I LOVE YOU. I am in the same boat as minkypop, and I forgot about split pea soup, and I love it! (well, I might not after the next week) But Thank you!

Oh I am right there with you!!!! Today was my last day of the liquid diet and I have had to choak down my Protein drinks today, I'm so sick of them!!!! I didn't eat yogurt during this phase so I have some in the refrig. waiting for me when I get home from the hospital. Along with some creamy low fat Soups I can strain any chunks out of. I would love to have some oatmeal, can't wait!!!

Only 8.5 hours and we leave for the hosptial.......so close!!!

minkypop hang in there! I feel the same way. I want to cry and gag at the same time I'm so sick of Protein Shakes. I have a week and a half left of this "diet" before I can move to mushies and I am looking VERY forward to having to chew something. Sending positive energy your way, you can do this!

Hls50 are you getting banded tomorrow??

I got banded the same day. I puréed some panera broccoli cheddar Soup and it was delicious! If you have a restaurant nearby go get some yummy soup and just purée it so it has the necessary consistancy. It was pretty filling too!

YES I DO GET BANDED TOMORROW....WOOOOOOO HOOOOOO . I leave for the hospital in 8.5 hours, my surgery is at 7am!!

I like everyone else am excited and nervous at the same time. I have spent the last 13 days on this liquid diet (my dr. only requires 10 ), but becuase he told me my liver was large two weeks ago I started the liquid diet early ( yes, I"m crazy ), the last thing I want tomorrow is for my liver not to have shrunk. I have lost 18 pounds in the last 13 days I am hoping that is a good sign.

If I am feeling up to it tomorrow I will try to post somthing. I can't thank you all enough for all the support and I look foward to chating with you all soon!!!

Congrats on your wght loss already! I also lost a few lbs on my pre op diet 22 total and that's just motivating all together!!!! Keep up the good work and keep posting your progress!!!!!!

trader joes Soups good too

YES I DO GET BANDED TOMORROW....WOOOOOOO HOOOOOO . I leave for the hospital in 8.5 hours, my surgery is at 7am!!

I like everyone else am excited and nervous at the same time. I have spent the last 13 days on this liquid diet (my dr. only requires 10 ), but becuase he told me my liver was large two weeks ago I started the liquid diet early ( yes, I"m crazy ), the last thing I want tomorrow is for my liver not to have shrunk. I have lost 18 pounds in the last 13 days I am hoping that is a good sign.

If I am feeling up to it tomorrow I will try to post somthing. I can't thank you all enough for all the support and I look foward to chating with you all soon!!!

Thinking of you! I imagine you are banded right about now! Hope things are going well. Congrats!