Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm only two weeks post op from being banded but I'm researching PS and I'm leaning towards a mermaid lift once I hit goal and maintain for 3 months. Has anyone had the mermaid lift?I will also be having a breast reduction and lift and possibly my arms done but not 100% as Ill prob just be able to keep them toned with weights! Any info or advice is greatly appreciated..

Banded August 28 2012<br />Starting weight 293<br />Day of surgery weight 273<br />Current weight 258<br />Goal weight 160 5ft 10

what is a mermaid lift? are you talking about a total lower body lift?

You were only banded a week ago... I would wait to see what kind of natural toning you can do w/o surgery to see if you really need it. I've lost 43# and while I feel a little loose around the middle, every time I actually work on my abs it feels tighter. Hydrate and tone. That's my suggestion.

As others have said, worry about the journey right now and the cosmetic parts after. You never know, you could be one of the lucky ones who doesn't need any type of surgery!

Also, I seem to have heard it is a good idea to maintain the desired weight for 6 months to a year before getting any cosmetic surgery. It can take up to two years for the skin to tighten up as much as it can naturally.

Didn't think I wasn't allowed to think about the future but its my journey and I will and can I came asking advice on the lift and if anyone had, had it but thanks!!

Banded August 28 2012<br />Starting weight 293<br />Day of surgery weight 273<br />Current weight 258<br />Goal weight 160 5ft 10

I have not heard the term...but for those of you were were wondering...this is what I found. And after reading it... I need it. LOL

Mermaid Lift procedure is designed to achieve the following:

1. Accentuate the waistline to create a more feminine flare at the hips.

2. Flatten the abdomen to improve its contour and definition.

3. Lift the pubic area to create a more smooth youthful transition to the lower abdomen.

4. Redefine the belly button to compliment the bottleneck waistline.

5. Lift and restore shape and volume to the buttock and lateral thighs.

6. Cinch and redirect the skin to reduce /or eliminate the appearance of cellulite in these areas

The design of most lower body lifts often does not address each of these crucial aspects, leaving many patients disappointed with their results. Over the last ten years, working with over 2500 post-Bariatric patients, we have developed the Mermaid Lift procedure--inspired by the feminine curves of these mythical creatures which are emulated both in art and fashion, to enhance and accentuate the female body.

The key to this surgery is properly placed tension. Just as in any graceful, well-constructed wedding dress, the lines smooth out wrinkles, lift key areas, augment curves and give an overall pleasing shape. We begin centrally by making sure to lift the pubic area smoothly without leaving any unsightly mound while flattening the upper abdomen, without any need for a vertical scar. The incision is then carried out to the sides along a bikini cut, lifting and curving the thighs. We always tighten the midline abdominal muscles since this helps lower the scar further and brings in the waist, allowing us to have the thighs flare out naturally from an hour-glass shaped abdomen. The incision is then carried to the back along an imaginary bikini line and the buttocks lifted and augmented with fat from the lower back creating a pleasing curve. The total effect is similar to that achieved with so-called Mermaid-cut dresses and perfectly addresses all the key points that concern most massive weight loss patients.

Another very important aspect to achieving the optimum shape is that we pre-operatively size every patient for a compression garment customized to her figure. By choosing the right size and shape of garment before the surgery and placing it directly on the patient in the operating room we are able to better control tension and allow the newly placed tissues to conform to their ideal positions. This also allows easier mobility for the patients and they are encouraged to begin walking the same evening after their surgeries.

Proper preparation before surgery is also crucial. Patients’ weights need to have stabilized and their nutritional status must be optimized. In addition, any anemia must be addressed pre-operatively. We are often able to combine tummy tucks or the Mermaid Lift procedure with hernia repair or gallbladder surgery by the Bariatric surgeon at the same time, saving the patient recovery and expenses. Because of the extent of the surgery, we are cautious about doing a great deal of additional surgery. On select patients we will also do breast or arm lifts or augmentation along with a Mermaid Lift procedure.

For most patients, a day or two in the hospital is sufficient, but depending on whether other procedures are done simultaneously we sometimes keep our patients longer. Recovery is usually about three weeks, but varies a great deal. Insurance coverage for at least a portion of these procedures has improved dramatically over the last few years and this often takes a great deal of the financial pressure off of patients allowing them to recover with a little more peace of mind.

Plastic surgery is often the “icing on the cake” of the Bariatric experience. Once a patient has lost the weight and is feeling good, she feels complete when her newly restored inner harmony is matched by a newly harmonious outer appearance. The Mermaid Lift procedure transforms these patients’ figures and helps them radiate their new inner happiness outwards.

Imho.... i would research it. After loosing 50 pounds hanging skin was becoming odivous. Depending on ur age, skin may not be as elestic as it once was.

I beleive anyone looking into wls, should take in account ps. Especially when it involves financial planning. I had a TT and hernia repair 4 weeks ago. The procedure was only partially covered by ins.

There are certain creteia that needs to be met for ps to be covered. I just fell short of it on the ps side. Though with my hernia repair covered under ins i was able to stretch my dollar and save on ps.

Didn't think I wasn't allowed to think about the future but its my journey and I will and can I came asking advice on the lift and if anyone had' date=' had it but thanks!!

Banded August 28 2012<br />Starting weight 293<br />Day of surgery weight 273<br />Current weight 258<br />Goal weight 160 5ft 10[/quote']

Hello and congrats to you. I am doing the same thing you are. I actually started trying to get info on the cosmetic part b/4 i was banded. 12 days band post op as of tday 245 starting, 232 pre op, 225 this morning, goal 140. I'm 5ft 1.5". Im 46yrs and concerned that I wont be able to do enough on my own & will require surgery so I want to be prepared in advance just in case. However, I also want to know ALL the tricks, secrets and discoveries from people that were in my predicament that were able to accomplish the toning, tightening and flatening without surgery. I will continue my prep for the possibility of surgery (after meeting my goal) while I find out everything possible that I can do to avoid it. Reading through posts i'm finding to be extremely helpful and informative as most people here have already been there and done that...so to speak.

What I am trying to say is that you are right...your journey is your own but please benefit from those who are very willing to share their own ups and downs. I think what they are trying to say is please do not limit yourself to surgery so early in your success, although I do not think that is what you are doing.

I hope to continue talking throughout your journey.

Ok Mermaid lift is what I want with breasts and arms. Any one know what this would cost?

I'm only two weeks post op from being banded but I'm researching PS and I'm leaning towards a mermaid lift once I hit goal and maintain for 3 months. Has anyone had the mermaid lift?I will also be having a breast reduction and lift and possibly my arms done but not 100% as Ill prob just be able to keep them toned with weights! Any info or advice is greatly appreciated..

Wow I did not know about the mermaid lift,, learned something new,, I hope the best for you.

I am hoping for gravity to reverse!!!

Only if you stand on your head.....lol

I tried standing on my head... hurt my head and did not help... just created strange sags in new places! LOL