Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 1--Awesome! Day 2--Not So Bueno....help!

Got my band yesterday and, aside from some soreness, I felt great. I even took a trip to Walmart and went out to eat with my hubby and son. Well, they ate. I had some broth from their tortilla Soup. Probably ate about 1/2 a cup. It went down no problem.

This morning, I was a lot more sore. Even though I wasn't hungry, I "ate" a 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Then we went to the mall so I could get the full press treatment of a color, highlight, lowlight and cut. I didn't expect it to take 4 hours but it did. I was a little tight in the stomach area and went through about 5 gas-x strips. Then I thought I would talk some so I could get rid of it that way. That is went the pain started in my left shoulder. I was expecting this so it was no surprise but has anyone else also experienced jaw pain and hip pain? I also have a tightness between my boobs...is that where the band is? I am also on my period so I don't know if any of these symptonms can be blamed in it.

I feel like I felt after I had my son....my body is not my own.

I came back to the hotel and the heating pad is helping some. I had a 1/2 cup of broth and some iced tea with sweet and low. I am concerned that I am not eating enough to tolerate the pain meds if I should have to take them.

I am not in agony but am concerned about these aches and pains....any advice or recs? I really don't want to screw this up. It dawned on me that the paperwork the doctor gave me told me WHAT to eat but now HOW MUCH to eat on the liquid diet.

TIA!!!

Dang girl you just went through surgery.

Glad you're feeling good, but I still think you should give your body a little rest.

fostermomma, glad you are doing so well and able to get around but a little rest wound'nt hurt :-). Also, it dosen't sound like your getting any Protein drinks in? The Protein is really important for healing. What exactly are you supposted to be getting in in a day?

When do you get to go home?

Let us know how you are doing tomorrow.

Congrats on your surgery!

Honestly, it sounds like you way overdid it. Your body needs rest right now. Yes, you should get some exercise in but in the form of walking around the house and moving around this soon after surgery. I, too, felt pretty good after surgery and my body let me know the next day when I overdid it. Please do yourself a favor and rest and get small walks in at home for now. I never was laid up in bed, but I did rest. Your body just went through a major trauma and needs to use its energy towards healing.

I hope you feel better soon.

I'm shocked that some are able to do so much! I stayed in the hospital overnight then slept & relaxed the whole next day. I made a quick trip to Wal-Mart the following day, but stayed pretty low key the first 4 days. Went to work day 5 and made it through, but still very weak and slow. Soreness is normal...I felt like someone beat me up in the entire top half of my body, lol. The good news...All the gas pains (This part was awful for me. Anytime I swallowed felt like a basketball sized air bubble that kept building and building, and couldn't burp!) and majority of the soreness went away by about 10-12 days in. I'm 20 days out now and only occasionally feel sore at my port side. Also, most of the incision sites are completely healed. Just looks like a couple good scratches, but with the week I expect they'll be good as gone! :) It gets better! Just rest and relax! Now is the perfect time to get some R&R, because before you know it you'll be constantly moving and working your new healthier bod! :)

Banded 8/20/2012 - Heaviest: 512 - Current: 461

I'm three days post op & like you the first day at I was fine besides soreness but once I got home it was a whole different story. it is important to rest rest rest. Walk when you can but your body needs to rest. I keep saying that to myself everytime I get up to try and get my daughter. It's hard for me not being able to be the mom I usually am to her but If I hurt myself then what good am I? Rest up foster mama . I was told for the liquid diet the first week post op that I needed to get AT LEAST 60oz in. I am not allowed Protein Shakes until week 2. but every doctor in different

I'm five days out and only now am I truly starting to feel like myself again and (slowly) go off my pain meds, so I am ultra impressed you were out and about!

That said, I think they others are correct in saying that a bit of rest would do you good.

Regarding the pain: I had a lot of gas pain post surgery so I understand what you are saying about that - it's pretty hideous and I think that's why relaxing and resting up is so important. Unlike you, I am still able to burp so I feel like that relieves a little of the discomfort.

I have only had limited shoulder pain (thank god because the few times I have randomly got it, it was awful and took my breath away with the pain) and no jaw or hip pain. I have had pain in the middle of my chest near my boobs though.

I think ultimately, our bodies are just reacting to having something new inside us and it will take time and healing but eventually any aches and pains will go away.

5 days out, the main thing I am struggling with now is with gas pains and port pain. And I don't think you mentioned port pain? So, if that's the case - at least that is not causing you any grief atm!

Chin up and rest up.

fostermomma, glad you are doing so well and able to get around but a little rest wound'nt hurt :-). Also, it dosen't sound like your getting any Protein drinks in? The Protein is really important for healing. What exactly are you supposted to be getting in in a day?

When do you get to go home?

Let us know how you are doing tomorrow.

I am feeling better today. Still some hip pain but it is getting better. I guess I did over-do it. I just thought the best thing would be to walk. As far as Protein shakes go, I can start having them today. The first 2 days post op are supposed to be Clear liquids only. Days 3 to 7 I can have 3 shakes a day. The thing is I am not hungry so I won't really know if I am full.

The hardest part for me was the pain from the gas from surgery! I was miserad for a full week and I think that's pretty normal. I alternated heat and ice for the first 5 days and most important REST even if you feel good, you just had major surgery.

Hey Fostermomma,

Good to hear from you and glad to hear everyday gets better! It's getting close for me, Tuesday is my surgery......trying to get all the laundery done, the house cleaned all that kind of stuff. Have to be at the hospital at 5:30am.

Get some rest and take care of yourself!

better to