Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

...throw up? Like, full on, I-have-the-stomach-flu vomit?

This is probably way disgusting to most, but I've heard conflicting information. A lot of bandsters say they can't throw up anymore (I'm not talking PBing, I mean full on puke). Can they "not" just because they're scared to, or can you physically not throw up anymore? Thinking about it logically, there is essentially a very small opening for the vomit to pass through, but wouldn't you physiologically still have the vomiting process?

I'm not a fan of puking by no means, but there is nothing worse than feeling MISERABLE and knowing that vomiting will help, and not being able to do it.

I've ony needed to once in seven years, unfortunately alcohol was involved, lol.

And no, I couldnt. I retched and such but nothing came up.

In the last almost 3 yrs, I've brought up my food about 2-4 times week. I've actually "vomited" once. Just last month when we were driving to Southern Calif from Oregon and we were stuck in traffic. Thank God I had my dogs Water bowl in the car. Made my husband sick just listening to me wretch. I don't know if I was car sick or if it was the heat. I felt nauseaous for about 30 minutes, then threw up and felt better.

Actually, I stopped bringing my food back up a couple of months ago - after being treated for a slipped band. A warning for anyone who often does it....

Marci

I had a stomach bug and I couldn't throw up. Just retched over and over and nothing. I had to wait for it to pass through my system. Was terrible :(

My Aunt was banded about three years ago and did get the flu badly about 1.5 years ago. She did throw up a lot and had some band issues (not sure on specifics anymore) but all is well now. She said that she know keeps an anti-nausea med on hand just in case.

I am the type of person who will do ANY and EVERY thing to avoid throwing up. My daughter is 16 now, but when I was pregnant with her, I threw up every day for pretty much 9 months. Since then I will avoid it at all costs. Even when I've had the flu and KNEW just throwing up would make me feel better, I will do what I can to keep that from happening. Now that I have the band, I am even more terrified. I am so afraid if I do throw up, something will go wrong with the band. I just keep my fingers crossed that I don't have to face that problem!

This is one reason I will be even more diligent about my flu shot...When I get the flu it is no joke. I had it every year for about 4 years straight until I started getting the flu shot. I would literally heave so hard I would break blood vessels both in my eyes and face! Awful, awful, awful! I would suggest those worried about the flu get the shot as well. I know its not foolproof, but any extra piece of mind is helpful!! :)

Banded 8/20/2012 - Heaviest: 512 - Current: 461

I tried to make myself vomit after imbibing too much alcohol one night and it did not work. Consequently I felt awful and my hangover lasted much longer . I now try to ensure I DON'T drink too much .

I got a stomach bug and retched once, puked once, took a dose of phenergan (anti-nausea med) and puked no more. Neither PB's or vomiting are good for bandsters (not good for anyone, but most especially bandsters). I don't think one or two episodes of vomiting would be as bad as several days of it. Definitely worthwhile to keep an anti-nausea med on hand, just in case.

While we on the subject of illness, hard and/or continuous coughing can also be a problem for bandsters (can cause a band slip), so it's also a good idea to keep some cough medicine on hand.

But here's hoping you won't need the meds at all!

Thanks for the input everyone! I think I will ask my surgeon for a refill of phenergan next time I see him, just in case. I had uncontrolled Migraines for about 3 years, vomited with them, and had at least 3 a week. The excessive vomiting does a toll on your body - it wore down the enamel on my teeth, as well as caused the hiatial hernia which lead to years of heartburn. Throwing up is no joke! I'm so thankful I found a good Migraine med - after years of trial and error - and feel like I got my life back.