Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sugar Cravings

Do you get them? How do you handle them?

I like chocolate so a while back, well before my band, I switched to baking chocolate chips. 12 chips are 80 cals and I let one or two melt in my mouth slowly. The 12 chips last me a good 15-20 mins and take care of the cravings. I usually didn't need to do that more than once or twice a week to stay satisfied. That was before the band though, not sure how they would fit in now.

I am picky about the type and brand as well. If I'm only having a few, I want the best taste. I don't like the dark chocolate, I find it too sweet. I prefer milk chocolate and preferably Guittard or Shokinag brand.

I have a major Reeses Peanut Butter cup thing. I try to avoid checkout aisles with candy because just the sight of the wrapper makes me start craving them. Most of the time I am able to resist, but I'd say one or twice a month I will buy a pack, eat one, and give the other to one of my kids. I'm always careful to count the calories against my daily allowance, too.

For me, the trick is not keeping that sort of thing in the house. If it's here I will graze on it. So I intentionally don't keep any trigger foods on hand. If I have to physically go out and get what I'm craving, 90% of the time it's just not worth the effort and I just wait for the craving to pass.

My nutritionist allows a treat a day if needed or I can bank them up and have a bigger treat at the end of the week, of course provided you do the right thing with your food intake. Don't think I'd be able to manage a bigger treat after eating my Protein and vegetables but in saying that from time to time I do crave chocolate, something I will never give up so I have what I'm craving but only a small amount and I'm fine. I don't count calories as I've been taught by my nutritionist to work with portion sizes and healthy choices which I find so much easier than calorie counting. Some weeks I've had a small Turkish delight a few times a week and it hasn't hurt my weightloss to date.

riverine brownies does the trick

that first word was fiberonebars

The trouble is I find I have no off switch and I can't be satisfied by a small portion, one or two Cookies just mkes me want more. So I avoid keeping those foods in the house, control the impulses to buy them and accept when I do have them, it's going to be a major pig out. I don't binge in that I do stop before being totally full or even sick, but I can easily eat my way through 800 calories. However, I'm very active and maintaining for years now and it truly doesn't seem to affect my weight. I usually then skip dinner and even breakie the next day coz I'm just not hungry.

I'm dysfunctional around sugar and that's just how it is. For me there is no way to control or tame it. Good balanced Protein containing meals and willpower keeps me away 99% of the time but once I start to eat it, it's all over.

The trouble is I find I have no off switch and I can't be satisfied by a small portion' date=' one or two Cookies just mkes me want more. So I avoid keeping those foods in the house, control the impulses to buy them and accept when I do have them, it's going to be a major pig out. I don't binge in that I do stop before being totally full or even sick, but I can easily eat my way through 800 calories. However, I'm very active and maintaining for years now and it truly doesn't seem to affect my weight. I usually then skip dinner and even breakie the next day coz I'm just not hungry.

I'm dysfunctional around sugar and that's just how it is. For me there is no way to control or tame it. Good balanced Protein containing meals and willpower keeps me away 99% of the time but once I start to eat it, it's all over.[/quote']

I'm just like this too! I'm an addict when it comes to sugar. I can have it around house for hubby, but just don't touch it.

Yes, Protein helps A LOT. I don't crave it, but put one sugary taste on my tongue & it's over with.

If it wasn't for my skinny husband it would not be in my house.