Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Does This Sound Like To You?

Was banded in sept 2011.

A few weeks ago my stomach started hurting. Its right above my belly button, in the middle of my stomach. The only way i can describe the pain is a burning sensation.

It comes and goes thru out the day. I began no notice that its the strongest mid morning 11:00 or so and then late afternoon say around 4 or 5.

I have no problems eating or drinking. Everything goes down fine. I have not noticed that i can eat more or less that before. There

Is no redness or swelling that i can physically see.

My husband says it sounds like an ulcer. When the burning pain started i was going thru some major family stuff causing me a bunch of stress. I thought I was handling it well tho. Dh is convinced that i already had this ulcer and the stress of my family drama has caused it to flare.

Could it be erosion? I dont feel like my band slipped. I have no vommitting. No reflux. No

Change in hunger or the volume i can eat. I thought erosion is something that would take a while to happen-not one yr post banding.

Anyway, i called my dr yesterday and hes on

Vacation for 3 wks. They did tell me i can see another dr but i told them id call back. I am trying to decide if i just wanna wait for my dr to come back.

Thoughts?

I recently had that type of pain. It burned and felt like I was being pinched really hard from the inside, right around my belly button. It really burned and was a sharp pain when i had it. Mine was worse with increased activity. It felt some better if I held my stomach, was worsened by coughing and laughing.

My dr thought it was a hernia. Had a ct scan and everything was normal. They also checked the scan for appendicitis... All was normal.

I am only 13 weeks out and my surgeon said that nerves that were cut during surgery are regenerating and the pain can come and go for weeks or months. Fortunately my flare ups of this are less intense and less often for the last 3 days. Not sure if being so far out from surgery if this is what you are experiencing but if it doesn't subside I'd check with your doctor. Hope you feel better soon!

My first thought was umbilical hernia, but as Bamabander stated it could be something else. Definitely have your doctor take a look at it to be sure.

Not to scare anyone but I just had emergency surgery for a strangulated hernia 3 weeks ago and it can be very very serious. If the pain level stays the same, you're not vomiting, don't have a fever, and are still having BM's then I'd wait until your doc returns to have him check it. But if the pain gets more intense, go to the ER.

Best wishes.

Im not sure what that pain could be but I also have had it..I didnt call my doctor I just figured it was part of the healing going on inside.....It has come and gone...seems if im sitting and go to get up fast I have felt it....then after a day its gone....I will be watching this thread to see what others think about it also....

I will keep everyone updated. I think for now, im gonna wait for my dr to return unless the pain increases or i develop other symptoms. I just pray its not band related!!!

I will keep everyone updated. I think for now, im gonna wait for my dr to return unless the pain increases or i develop other symptoms. I just pray its not band related!!!

Considering it's around your belly button, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the band. Your stomach is considerably above your belly button and most ports are as well. Again, I'm no doctor and could be wrong, but anatomically speaking I don't know how it could be band related.

I had strange pains once. It was above my belly button in the middle of my body. I started feeling around the area when it hurt ( on and off) and realized I could feel my tubing from my band to my port. I went to the doctor who said I needed a port revision to move the tubing because it had migrated towards the surface of my skin. We did a full check up just to be safe and accidently found that my band had eroded into my stomach a bit. It wasnt causing pain but I had the band removed to let my stomach heal and then got a new band 5 months later. That was over 2 years ago. THings are fine now.