Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Fill...normal To Be Able To Eat Lots?

I got my band 8/20 and have no Fluid put in til next month. My Drs diet post op is week 1 liquid, week 2 mushies into soft foods, week 3/4 soft introducing solids as tolerated. Im almost to week 3 and Im actually able to eat most anything. (I've found a few soft foods that don't agree yet, so I steer clear.) I stick to mushies mostly, lots of low fat cottage cheese and really soft scrambled eggs. Had one instance with eggs where i probably ate too many and it hurt for awhile. I was also able to eat a small enchilada with some cheese and a soggy corn tortilla today with refried Beans. Ok, so not the healthiest of choices but went down just fine no issues coming back up. Here's my problem - I had a conversation with my boss who is a yr and a half post op and she has me super freaked out. Her surgeon required 6 weeks liquid diet post op and pre filled her band with 3ccs at time of surgery. I can eat so much compared to normal newbies (1-1.5 cup) before i feel resistance of any kind... But she made me feel like i am doing terrible and i caused damage already from eating solid food already! Im having some difficulty breaking old habits ya, but i felt I was doing much better. I just hate feeling like i could have possibly done damage or something...Ahh!! Am I normal to be able to eat this much food still? (with no fills yet) Do most surgeons require a much longer liquid diet? Could I have caused damage the couple times I ate too much because its so early? I've been super careful and am definitely sticking to the more liquidy kinds of foods til I get the reassurance about what's normal and the expectations. I was so prepared prior to surgery, but i feel like I've forgotten everything I spent months studying for!

Banded 8/20/2012 - Heaviest: 512 - Current: 461

I'm no expert, but I think this is probably a question for your doctor. I'm only a week after you and am on three weeks of fluids, so no solids for me until September 18!

I would describe everything that's happening to you to your surgeon. It sounds like you could use a fill earlier than he's prescribing. But also don't pay attention to everything your boss says: Remember, we're snowflakes! :) Good luck!

Blue

Of course always check with your dr but from reading these posts it seems like every dr has a diff post op diet plan. I had 24 hrs Water only, 24 hrs clear fluids, 1 wk full fluids, 1 wk puréed and then 1 week soft and after that everything. There also seems to be a lot of variation with regard to carbonated beverages and alcohol consumption as well between drs.

First, it's highly unlikely you did any damage. However going forward stick to the post op diet your doctor gave you. You have to remember the band is sutured into your stomach. Your stomach needs to fully heal and you need to give it time to do so.

And yes, it's normal to be able to eat a lot. In fact, most can still eat a lot even when they do have adequate Fluid in their bands. The band is not supposed to stop you from eating anything nor is it supposed to make you feel stuffed full. The only thing the band is supposed to is help you to feel satisfied with less food for longer periods of time. Feeling satisfied simply means not physically hungry, it has nothing to do with feeling full or being unable to eat more food.< /p>

As we say a lot around here- just because you can eat something doesn't mean you should.

As far as the diet is concerned, every doctor is different. I was banded on 8/7/12 and I just stared pureed food this past wednesday and will not be able to have solids until september 29. Just remember to stick to the plan your doctor gave you. Best of luck to you!

Every "body" is different. You have no restriction yet so you maybe hungry. Listen to your dr rules and don't compare yourself to any one else. Each of us has our own journey. Things will change after your first fill.

Something else you will hear over and over again-

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

wendy

Please understand I am not being mean spirited. I have to agree with your boss that you are eating 1) to much , 2) advancing to quickly. I believe you mentioned tortilla's, that is a solid not a mushie.

Are you weighing your food? If not you need to start. My doctor says 3 oz of Protein. Even during mushies I weighed out 3 oz. Yes you probably can eat more than that but that does'nt mean you should. That's why this is called bandster hell. You can eat a lot more than you should.

This is a will power diet for now. I wish more doctors were up front about this. Don't expect that they will move up your fill.

Thank you for your replies everyone...I really compare my issues with food like any other addiction to drugs. This whole thing reminds me of how meth addicts feel detoxing. Weird I know, but similar. It's a constant battle and Im starting to feel under prepared. I said earlier I felt prepared going in, knowing what tools were at my disposal, but food is a really hard addiction to break. I set out my day and meal plans, and end up way off track by the time my day ends. I'm so good intentioned, yet it definitely has a hold on me. What's worse, is that I could have possibly done damage...It's like eaters remorse. Before band I hated that I was constantly thinking about food and what to eat next. Now I need to invest that same time and energy, but its hard switching gears to the healthy state of mind. Its like the devil/angel thing on each of my shoulders...Im tired of letting the bad side win! Please excuse my moments of weakness. I just have to vent and need to feel like Im not completely alone in ever feeling this way. I woke up this morning so frustrated I can't decide what to eat...maybe out of worry I'll keep making mistakes. Im going to read over all my paperwork with a fine tooth comb! Refreshers never hurt! Thank you all for your support! :)

Banded 8/20/2012 - Heaviest: 512 - Current: 461

Well being almost 3 years post op if you dont get a hold on your eating now you never will. I could consume a large meal if I chose too. It would only take me more time but I can. You have to know that the band is not going to stop you from eating if you really want too. You have to have control to a certain degree. I agree the things you are eating are really bad choices. If you dont stop it now you're not going to ever change your eating habits.

Thank you for your replies everyone...I really compare my issues with food like any other addiction to drugs. This whole thing reminds me of how meth addicts feel detoxing. Weird I know' date=' but similar. It's a constant battle and Im starting to feel under prepared. I said earlier I felt prepared going in, knowing what tools were at my disposal, but food is a really hard addiction to break. I set out my day and meal plans, and end up way off track by the time my day ends. I'm so good intentioned, yet it definitely has a hold on me. What's worse, is that I could have possibly done damage...It's like eaters remorse. Before band I hated that I was constantly thinking about food and what to eat next. Now I need to invest that same time and energy, but its hard switching gears to the healthy state of mind. Its like the devil/angel thing on each of my shoulders...Im tired of letting the bad side win! Please excuse my moments of weakness. I just have to vent and need to feel like Im not completely alone in ever feeling this way. I woke up this morning so frustrated I can't decide what to eat...maybe out of worry I'll keep making mistakes. Im going to read over all my paperwork with a fine tooth comb! Refreshers never hurt! Thank you all for your support! :)

Banded 8/20/2012 - Heaviest: 512 - Current: 461[/quote']

You are not alone. We all battle food issues, that's what got us here. The hardest part of this is the head hunger. I had to remove ALL the trigger foods from my house. If my husband and daughter want junk food they have to go out for it. They support me and it has become a daddy/daughter thing. I've also started making myself do something else first before just to make sure I am physically hungry and not head hungry. I'll tell myself ok you can have a snack after you ride your bike for 30 minutes. Most times I don't want the food afterwards. That works for me.

Oh, and vent all you need this is what we are here for. I know you can do this. I believe in you.

Check with your doctor, but if you have nothing in your band, you can't do much damage, just go forward and eat slow chew long.

good luck

Are you doing the 30 min before and after rule with eating. If you were drinking with your meal, or drinking very fast that can push your soft foods down and you will continue to be hungry because you are washing the food down. It happened to me on my second day and i was hungry, as soon as I started taking smaller sips, i was not hungry.

It is absolutely normal to be hungry and be able to eat quite a bit of food right now.

Something that I did after surgery when my hunger returned was measure out my little half cup of food telling myself that if I'm still hungry I can always wait an hour or two and have another half cup. I usually wasn't though.

Just follow your post op eating plan that your doctor gave you, don't rush it. And don't over eat and stretch out you band new tiny pouch. You can do it!

No solid food for me for 4 weeks here.

Trust me I totally get messing up well placed plans of eating small healthy plans every day! In some ways I'm lucky that I live alone because I don't have to keep any junk food in my house; or any of my trigger foods. I can't have crackers, chips, anything crunchy/salty around because I will eat them until they are gone.