Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do You Maintain Your Weight After Reaching Your Goal?

I am 12 pounds away from my goal, it is amazing to me to even say that after being a size 28 just 16 months ago I am now in a size 10, but anyway here is my question......

Once you have reached your goal, how do you maintain your weight and not continue to lose? I mean really... for over a year now I have stayed away from white flour products, candy, cakes, carbs (except for whole wheat), taken smaller bites and smaller portions, you all know what I am talking about, that is how we lose our weight, but once you have lost the weight and reached your goal weight how do you just maintain?

I mean I still have the band so I will not be able to eat like non lap band people do. I will continue to have to stay away from the white flour products and such (I hate getting stuck), continue to take small bites and smaller portions, so how do I do all of this and maintain and not continue to lose? Do people get there band removed, the fills taken out? My band is my security blanket to me and it scares me to think of it not being there or not filled.

Any suggestions or personal experiences would be greatful on how you do it.

Thanks,

Donna

I found my weight loss just got slower and slower until it petered out and I began to maintain on less calories than I initially ate to lose. I mean, I eat about 1500 a day which is about 1000 a day less than what all the charts and experts say I should be eating at my height and activity level. I eat way less than people around me, by and large, apart from perhaps teeny women like my 5ft sister in law.

Meaning after you have lost weight, your metabolism is shot (and I am a regular exerciser, a dedicated runner). You will never be able to eat normally. Which is why you need your band forever and why most people continue to need Fluid in it and continue to need small top up fills occasionally.

That's a fairly depressing outcome for all your hard work, but its just how it is. Dont get me wrong, I can cope with the odd 2000 calorie day - all that takes is a couple of drinks and some handfuls of chips on a Friday night - and I dont gain weight. But to run 8kms or so most days or the week, or go to a spin class, and eat 1500 a day just to maintain 145lb? That's nuts. I shoudl be able to eat so much more.

So in short, I've never had a problem with continuing to lose. I'd have to stop eating for that to happen!

I'm the same as Jachut. My weight loss petered out and I have actually gained about 3kg in the last 6 months. Apart from the change in your metabolism and the lower no of calories required to maintain a lower weight you will probably also find that the longer you have the band the less you feel its effects. things that were difficult or impossible to eat become really easy. Maintenance seems to be the time when the band really is a tool. When I was in the losing phase my band actually did most of the work, I didn't really have to think about it or put in much effort and the weight came off. Now I have to consciously think about what and how much I am eating.

I don't think that it would ever be a good idea to have a band removed just because you think you have it all down pat and can cope without it. The reallity is that without it or some other form of WLS you will probably regain.