Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Is Plication?

I have heard about it but don't know what that is and what it is for. Can someone let me know!

Thanks

Miriam

Banded-Plication.jpg

Performed through a laparoscope, Gastric Plication is minimally invasive. The stomach is folded into itself, limiting the capacity of the stomach from about 50 ounces to 4 to 8 ounces. No cutting or stapling is performed so the risk of complications are obviously much smaller than traditional gastric bypass operations. Lap-band surgery is unique in that it requires implantation of the gastric band around the top of the stomach. The fill port is also implanted and attached to the Lap-band by a tube. Some patients have very low tolerance to these implants and the band must be removed when rejected by their body. A very few patients don't deal well with the fill procedure. To adjust the Lap-band saline solution is injected through the skin into the fill port. The Lap-band fill procedure is easily tolerated by most patients. But every once in while a patient has problems with the injection. Gastric plication only requires simple sutures (stitches) that are typically never rejected by the human body. It requires no maintenance (such as fills).

The advantages of Gastric Plication over Lap-band and bypass surgeries:

• No foreign devices are implanted (the Lap-band is implanted along with its fill port and tubing).
  • No adjustments are required (the Lap-band requires the injection or removal of saline solution to adjust it).
  • food is far less likely to become stuck (food can more easily become stuck with the Lap-band).
  • Gastric plication offers more restriction than Lap-band surgery. Reports on Gastric Plication surgery show 60-65% excess body weight loss in one year vs. 45-55% for Lap- band surgery (although individual results will vary, this is the average).
  • No cutting of the stomach or the intestine (all gastric bypass surgeries include radical surgical reduction of the stomach and small intestine).
  • Gastric Plication causes no nutritional deficiencies. Bypass surgery patients can suffer anemia, osteoporosis, Vitamin deficiency and Protein deficiency because the small intestine is radically shortened.
  • Few food restrictions compared to Gastric Bypass or Lap-band surgeries. Patients can eat most anything, because even though the stomach is drastically reduced in size, it is not surgically altered and functions normally.
  • Gastric Plication can be reversed more easily than any other surgery.

hope this helps

I have lap band with plication and basically my understanding is the stomach is folded in half in a plication.

I have heard about it but don't know what that is and what it is for. Can someone let me know!

Thanks

Miriam

My doctor no longer includes the plication with the lapband. He told me the latest studies have shown you don't lose any more weight and KEEP it off with the plication. Also, my insurance company only pays for lapband, not plication. My insurance paid in full for everything and also pays for fills. Now, let's wait and see what ObamaCare does if he gets re-elected which I pray he does not.

Just joined the forum today, although I've been a lurker for awhile..

I had lap band with plication almost exactly a year ago. I've lost 85 lbs and it truly has been one of the best decisions I've made. Life changing. I have had 4 fills, starting about 6 months out, I don't know exactly what my fill level is as my nurse never tells me and I never really ask. She says people get so caught up in the amount of fill they have. I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't maybe ask, now that I don't think I'll be requesting any more fills, just in case I ever need to be able to tell someone in an emergency what "should" be in there.. I did ask once in the beginning, and it was around 5cc but I've had 2 fills since then. Apparently, he put 4cc in it already at surgery to "prime" it (seemed like a lot to me?) I feel I am definitely at the green zone after this last fill, which is a nice added benefit although if I'm completely honest, I have always felt satisfied with the smaller portions we are supposed to have and I attribute this to the plication and the small stomach capacity it gave me. I followed my doctors post-op instructions to the T, started on regular food around week 4, and I am able to eat my regular diet with no problems. I watch my calories, I try to stay SEMI-low carb but in no way am I perfect in my diet, but my portions are always usually spot on, so I get a little bit of everything I like to eat and have never once felt deprived.

Up until this very last fill, I had never experienced any PB or anything, but about a week after the last fill, I did have a small problem with romaine lettuce that I'd like to forget. I attribute it to me being a little bit too hungry and not paying attention to how well I chewed it. But it hasn't happened since.

I also feel that because of the plication, I never experienced what I have read about as far as "bandster hell" goes. Unless I go WAY too long in between meals, I must say I have not really felt very "hungry" since I had the surgery. Of course we all deal with the temptation of good food, i.e. "head hunger" but overall, I am very satisfied with how well I feel my surgery makes me...satisfied. If that makes any sense. I exercise 5-6 days a week, doing cross fit and various other cardio exercises. I truly have become the athlete I was 20 years ago and this makes me very happy.

I had originally planned on going with just the lap band, never considered any other options. My surgeon was/is part of the very first patient trials and felt I'd be a good candidate. He still does them and seems very pleased with the results. I recently had a procedure where he put a tube down my nose, throat, etc and checked everything out. Everything looks as it should, no esophageal dilatation, no signs of band erosion, it's exactly where he put it and my stomach looks fine inside.

I should add that I also had my gallbladder removed the same time as the plication and lap band as well as a fairly large hiatal hernia repaired. I spent 1 night, 2 days in the hospital.

Just thought I'd make my first post a post about something I'm actually familiar with. I read a lot and have gleaned a lot of good information from the site.

**He told me the latest studies have shown you don't lose any more weight and KEEP it off with the plication**

i have to respond to this. i dont believe this is accurate. the plication is just like any other WLS, if you continue to overeat or eat cheap slider high fat high calorie foods, then you can overeat and gain weight. if you Portion Control and eat good foods, you can lose weight. i believe it is working for me. i also believe this is (want power) and not just will power. just because i can eat more than a cup of food, doesnt mean i should or will. my surgeon said the plication (can help). there is not a guarantee. so far, it has helped me lose 53+ pounds. do what works for you. all the best :)