Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Give Up...

I was banded in June of 2011. From June to January, I steadily lost 2lbs. a week. I lost 35 pounds in total. Around the holidays, I began to eat more sweets and it was a slippery slope. In the last 7 months, I have put back all but 10 of those pounds. I've only had 2 fills. When I went for the second fill, the doctor almost wouldn't give it to me because there were a few things that would come back up. Turns out, the only things that come back are the healthy things - meat mostly, chicken, fish and beef. As the weight came back on, I got more and more discouraged and never went back. I'm discouraged to say the least, and now am thinking of just having it removed. The problem I have is addiction to food. The reason I lost 35 pounds is because I was tracking my food and eating 1000 - 1200 calories a day. I could have (and still could) do that without the lap band. I just wondered if any one else has had this experience. Also if anyone has had a lap band removed, without there being a major complication with it. :-(

I have only had the lap band for 6 days so I know I can't answer most of your questions but I would recommend to start over! Tomorrow is a new day and make it a new day! Keep your head up and don't give up! Losing weight is a challenge but would you be able to keep it off with out the band? I wish you luck and i'm sorry your going through such hard time :(

What about inches...have you lost any there? I had surgery in Dec 2011 and have only lost about 9 lbs. However, I've lost enough inches to go from a size 14 to a size 11 in pants/skirts. (My tops have been large/ex-large since I was a teen - even after 2 reductions!)

I understand it's quite expensive to have the band removed. Why not just have all the Fluid removed and give yourself some time to reflect before making this decision? We're all experiencing different outcomes so be gentle with yourself, then proceed with your decision.

All the best to you!

Don't give up on yourself. Yes, yourself. You made the decision to get WLS, you jumped through all of the hoops. In hindsight, you may feel that you were not adequately prepared to live the life of a bandster. Now you know more than you did before. Now you have experienced how great it feels when those pounds are coming off.

I'm guessing that all of your reasons for originally getting the band are still present and still valid. So here's what I suggest you do. Suck it up and face up to a berating from your surgeon. Tell him/her that you are ready to recommit and you need their help and support.

Nothing that you have told us indicates an issue with the band that means it should be removed. You still have the opportunity to make this tool work for you. You are worth it. Give it another go !

I know you said that you could just track your calories without the band. It sounds simple enough I know. But, the reason the band helps is so that we are not so hungry with 1200 calories a day that we binge.

Go back to your doctor and see about getting a fill. Look through the food/nutrition forum here for advice on foods that won't get stuck. Since you only had two fills it is possible that the reason food was coming back up is because you didn't learn to chew enough eat slow enough or take small enough bites. I'm 8 months out and I still will slip on eating too fast from time to time.

Talk to your doctor about making the band work for you before abandoning ship. Good luck.

I agree with MellioM! My experience is similar to yours in that my band was never properly adjusted & too tight. I couldn't keep down the good solid Protein & was always hungry & miserable. The trick for me was a new doc, an unfill, & logging my calories on myfitnesspal. Yes you can log food without the band but the band helps keep you satisfied with 1000-1200 calories. Try it again and don't give up! You did it before. Good luck! :-)

You went thru how many office visits with different docs to get this procedure to happen, you then had to.spend how long on liquids and how long recovering, how did you feel when you were 35 lbs down? Maybe more.energized, and awake...you went thru so much to get healthy dont undo it now go get some restriction and start fresh, dont give up!

I think if you truly gave up you wouldnt post that you gave up. It sounds to me like you have not started. You agreed to see your dr

Regularly you must do that. Tiny bites, tiny sips, no straws no spoons and you will be fine.

As others have said take a step back and give it a really good think over. It's important to follow up with the after care with your medical team to help you stay on track. Have you seen a nutritionist? If not might be a great idea to do so, they can help teach you how to eat with a lapband and guide you. One of the things that was drummed into me with my early appointments was that I needed to always stay in contact with my medical people even if I was discouraged at some point. It's a partnership that needs commitment from both sides. In regards to not being able to keep some of the meats down my question is are they cooked in a way that they stay moist? Are you taking very very small bites and chewing and waiting a minute between swallows? I use an oyster fork or a teaspoon, anything larger than can fit on that teaspoon is way to big to put in your mouth.

It would be a shame to have it removed after the time and money you invested in the whole process.

I don't count calories as I find it tedious and annoying. My nutritionist has taught me about portion sizes and healthy choices. Two months being banded and one month on the pre op diet and I've lost 56 pounds and haven't counted a single calorie. Some people need to count calories others don't. I still eat bread, not every day, still eat chocolate, rice, Pasta, meat. I have good restriction ATM and I'm certain the right amount in my band to take away that obsessive interest in food all day long.

I know I got of track a bit but just wanted to show with the support of your surgeon, nutritionist and your willingness to give it your best shot before really deciding to remove the band you can give it another go.

I wish you the best in whatever decision you make.

It is a constant battle, but you can do it. I am three years post-op and I just started over in July. I challenged and cheated with many band for the last year and a half.

Then one day decided it was exactly what they said. ....a TOOL to help. So I changed into the forum and read and read. Figuring out how everyone make it actually work. Do not wait until tomorrow to start....

Start Now!!!!! YOU can do it. Best of luck

*came into the forum.. not changed.. sorry, phone thinks it is smarter then me.

You should try and find a support group in your area. Don't give up that is how we all became so obese anyway by giving up..you can do it I believe in you

i was banded in sep of 2011. I have to say im in the same boat. i went from 209 down to 183 and stayed there for a while. i started gaining again over the last 4 months and am now back up to 193. i cant go any tighter on my band then i already am. i tried, but Water wouldnt even go down. im starting to feel like i should of went with the bypass instead of the band. sucks even worse that i paid cash for the whole thing. the whole point of this surgery was so i dont have to count calories. anyone can lose massive amounts of weight counting calories, but its such a hassle. plus working 10 to 12 hours 5 to 6 days a week doesnt help.

im making bad food choices. bottom line. the band doesnt exactly help you make good food choices. i never had a sweet tooth until after the surgery. i think i might go to the doctor and have the band emptied. the only good thing about my band is that i havent eaten bread in almost a year. Thats probably where all the weight loss came in. But i can do that on my own without the band. other then that, my diet has been super unhealthy. i never feel full. just uncomfortable and wanting to throw up to get rid of the feeling. maybe i have the band too tight.

im so mad i went with the band instead of the bypass.

end rant.

Don't give up! I too was banded June 2011, did ok, slow prgress and then after my last fill in March 2012, I lost while on the liquids for 2 days and then nothing. I am now 4 lbs heavier than when I had my last fill.... I decided that I needed to think about how I am using the band. My band works, as I can get stuck everyday if I am not careful. But I think I am realizing that that is why I haven't lost any weight.

I have been taking the easy way out and making poor decisions food wise. I lost my health insurance in March and haven't been back to my doctors since then either. I kinda fell off the band wagon and keep rolling down the hill til today. I have sat down and re-read my information. I have thought about my diet and the lack there of, of exercise. I have read the posts on here.

I hope that my band is still good and that I haven't hurt myself by the poor decisions I have been making. food addiction is a hard thing to overcome because it is legal and it is EVERYWHERE. I guess we just need to learn how to move past the struggles with food one little bite at a time. Counting calories is tedious I agree but I think as an "addict" it is helpful to be mindful of what you are "using" hence journeling everything that goes into your mouth. Sit back at the end of the week and read your journel and reflect on ways you can tweak your food intake and make the band work for you!

The band is not a miracle cure all to weight loss and you will still have daily struggles with food but you need to find ways to manage your addiction and take control. The band is a tool and a tool only... we all have to keep working hard daily to reach our goals... I am starting all over, back to the basics because I know this tool works and I know that I have the information to make it work... I just have to do the work and so do you!! It is so hard to get back on track but the only way you can do it is to just DO IT!! Track your food, measure your food, be mindful of your food and take control!! Best of luck and I hope you think about it for awhile before you plan to remove it...