Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am losing interest in my band....

I was banded November 4th. I've been study at a 30 pound loss for months now. I have the VG band, which I completely regret. (I wanted the regular band but didn't know before surgery to specify. My doctor automatically uses the bigger band if you weigh over 250, which I did.) I have never, ever, even ONE TIME felt my band. I can eat anything under the sun and always have been able to. I have had three fills, my last taking me to 11 cc. I have an appointment to go back again the first week in April. I feel like a freak. I tell my doctor I can eat an entire steak with a loaf of white bread and he looks at me like I'm nuts. He has checked my band and there are no slips and the placement is correct. He says it takes some people more time than others. My problem is that I've lost motivation and am not being careful about my diet. I'm hungry all the time. I do not drink with meals, but I've stopped making wise food choices and I'm having a hard time getting "back in the game". I exercised three times last week. My goal this week is four times. I have two weeks until my fill and my goal is to lose 6 pounds in that time, which will put me at a nice round number on the scale.< /p>

I've been wanting to write this post for some time now but have not had the courage. I want to feel this band. I'm very shy, and it is hard for me to keep pestering the doctor, especially when he tells me that at 11 cc I should be "super tight". Every time I open my mouth to put in a bite of food my well meaning family says, "Can't you feel it yet?". At this point, I'm beyond over sensitive and am ready to clobber them. I'm four and a half months out and have not lost an ounce in about three months.

Now what?? I recognize the need for a new attitude, but am feeling very down.

Hi! I just wanted to send out some hugs for you. I know how depressing and exhausting this struggle can be -- especially with family and friends watching you like a hawk! I hate that so much! Sometimes I wish I didn't even tell them so I wouldn't have the pressure. But seriously, 30 pounds since November isn't bad at all! There are some "turtles" on this site who have struggled to lose even ten pounds. You're doing the right thing with exercising. You should be proud of yourself! I only just started exercising again today for the first time (banded on 1/31) and my GOD! I couldn't believe how out of shape I was. ANd it's incredibly frustrating because this time last year, I could do almost an hour of cardio and now I'm barely making 20 minutes. The point is, this struggle is HARD HARD HARD. But side thing down, now you just have to reboot your food side. Do you plan your meals for the day? Eat a LOT of Protein? I haven't felt at all restricted since my surgery, going in for my second adjustment next week, so most of it has been pure discipline (not like I've lost a lot at all!).

Just try to remember the saying "you didn't gain the weight overnight, you're not going to lose the weight overnight either." And most importantly, tell your friends/family very bluntly, "look, this is obviously hard for me and your criticisms are NOT helping."

Good luck and don't lose faith in yourself!

Suzanne

Clementine, I am beginning to relate to your thoughts and feelings. And, it scares me, too.

I was banded on 2/13 of this year. I got a fill of 4.2cc on 3/10...exactly one month after my band. I feel minor restriction but not much at all. I am only down 12 lbs and am rather disappointed. I feel as if the loss of the 12 lbs has been ALL my work (working out and cutting portions) and NONE of it band-related. And, I have very little conviction that I will be able to keep up my careful eating habits...b/c if I could, then I wouldn't have needed the band in the first place. Make sense?

I just finished eating a toasted english wheat muffin and an egg for Breakfast. I, too, never drink with meals. I am shocked that I can eat what I can eat. I never feel sick nor tight. I rarely even feel full.

I was banded in Monterrey, Mexico...so, it's rather difficult to "run down there" for a fill all the darn time. I am about to call a local doctor and beg him for another fill.

I, too, feel "odd". Perhaps broken? I have the Swedish band...I believe it holds 10cc...and, I can't figure out why it doesn't "work" on me :rolleyes:

Is anyone else feeling this way besides Clementine and myself???????

ugh!

You might need another fill. Your family should be supportive and not hassle you when you are eating. You should never feel your band. You should just feel a sense of fulness when you eat you portion of food. You might need to go talk to your doctor. DO not feel discourage. YOu just need your rigth fill level.

Amanda

Hi Clementine,

Sorry you're so discouraged. Tell your family to back off of you. Like you don't have enough pressure to deal with without them watching every mouthful! If they're not careful they're going to drive you into a 'secret eating' problem. That's my big problem and always has been.

Here's a thought. When you get a fill, does the doctor pull out your current fill to check it before adding fill? In other words, are you sure your band isn't leaking? Don't panic if it is - they can use a thicker Fluid that won't leak. I've also heard that some people get major restriction even if the doctor only unfills and then refills the same amount. Just trying to think of possibilites.

You're not alone. You don't have to go through this without support. Come back and tell us what's going on with you, OK?

Good luck.

Can you get anymore fills? Not sure how much a VG band will hold...

I feel bad for you..I feel your frustration. It's like you are in band "hell."

Keep pestering that surgeon. Listen, you have nothing to feel bad for. If you don't feel restriction than you don't feel restriction. No person, with a properly restricted band can eat as much as a loaf of bread+.

By the way, with no restriction you have done INCREDIBLE... Shawn

Clementine-

I'm right there with you! I ate a whole stinkin' McD's value meal the other day and realized that the band does very little for me at this point. You can't give up! Do what I'm dong...start over again. You CAN do it. you Can you Can! Limit your portions...and force yourself to give it a few weeks sticking with it. It takes just a few weeks to restart a new habit. That's what I'm doing!

God Bless You!

Jon

I am so sorry you are going through this. I was banded 10/18 and I've lost 11 lbs, so I really understand. I've rarely felt like I even had surgery. I just made my 6th fill appt for next week. We've got to get there eventually, right? Keep getting fills and don't beat yourself up. BTW, tell your family to leave you alone about eating; Donna's right, you will start eating in secret to avoid criticism and that way madness lies.

It's very frustrating and sad when our expectations aren't realized. I have a very simple solution, however. GET A FILL! I had four fills before I felt anything, and five before I lost any weight. Then, with every fill after, I've lost ten pounds. Eight fills = 80 pounds.

You are not a failure. You just need a fill. The band doesn't work without the proper fill level. Don't be embarrassed to talk to your doctor. He wouldn't have placed your band if he didn't want you to succeed!!!

Megan

I just got banded last week and I believe that I, too, got a Vanguard band due to my reflux spasms even without a band. I asked my doctor if there was less restriction and he said it produces the same amount of restriction but with more fill. I don't know if this is true. It was Dr. Fielding at NYU Med. Center in NY. You might ask your doctor about the differences between large and regular regarding restriction. Good luck to you.

Clementine,

Have you had a leak test? With 11cc in your band, you should feel very restricted since it is my understanding that the Vanguard band holds 11 cc. None of this sounds OK to me. Maybe you have a port disconnect, puncture in tubing etc that could be corrected and get you on your way. Beleive me, you will know when you have restriction. Sounds like you have none and need to see another doc to get your band checked out. Or you just need another fill.

Hang in there. Be your own advocate and please get a second opinion.

Babs in TX

334/180/190

I agree with Babs. that doesn't sound right to me.

Alos, I understand being shy. I have such a hard time being assertive with my doctors. Lately I have just kept repeating in my head what I have read from Penni a few times--REMEMBER: THEY WORK FOR US!

I am an RN and I don't have a hard time being direct with doctors, so by golly give me his phone number and I'll call on your behalf! The key to health care is listening to the patient and believing everything they say. If all docs and nurses did this, there would be a lot more happy people and a lot fewer lawsuits.

If you can eat bread like that, there is a problem. I haven't had my first fill yet, but I'm not going to be happy paying all this money and not getting results. If you've lost 30 pounds with no restriction, you are my hero. Call your doc and be direct. Sometimes it is easier to do this over the phone. Or if you are married, have your husband do it. It is a lot to go through this surgery and you deserve to have it work.

And I will confess I was naughty today. I went to Applebees intending to eat a weight watchers meal and I ended up eating the appetizer sampler. I feel guilty. But I worked out today and I will every day for the rest of the week. This is lent and in my church this is not the time of year to be indulgent. I was certainly weak today....:rolleyes:

Sometimes we forget what a "real" portion size is. I know you were freaked out because you ate an egg and a piece of toast. An egg has about 70 calories, and a piece of toast, depending on the size of bread of course, has about 45 calories. Butter and jam add to the calories of course. So, if you have an egg, a piece of toast with a little butter, your meal will be under 200 calories, and a typical meal, assuming you are sticking to 1200 calories, should be at least 300 calories.

We get this weird idea that we should be satisfied eating a few tablespoons of food for an entire meal, when in reality that rediculous for bandsters, unless they are super tight.

Clementine, I am so sorry you are having a difficult time getting your band just right. It very well could be that you have a leak, or your fill person didn't have the experience. Or it could have been that you were imporperly fitted with the wrong sized band. And I agree with Kelly that just because a person weighs X that they should automatically get Y band. The one size fits all fits none theory applies here. You must get over your being shy because you are the only one that can speak for you, the only one that can push for you.

You must take control of the situation, and if you don't feel restriction, then you ask to make sure there is no leak.

The band is all about making a lifestyle change. We have to work it, not the other way around.

30 pounds since November isn't bad, but I don't know how long this plateau has been. You've been working out, so undoubtably, you are changing your body composition, muscle weighs more than fat. Have you dropped inches? Many people report that when they are not losing pounds they are losing inches.

Nataly, you've been banded about 6 weeks, most people dont' get their first fill until their 6-8 week mark. It is too soon to know if it's not going to work for you. You've been banded 6 weeks, and have lost 12 pounds. What are you expecting? You have hit the top of the 1-2 pounds a week lost. You had the band and not a bypass, so your loss is going to be "reasonable" instead of having it fall off of you. Additionally, many people don't lose anything until their first fill, and some don't find it working well until their second or third fill. If you feel like you don't have much restriction, then get another fill, by all means.

If you find you are a Turtle, then go to your doctor and demand answers. Do not let them push you off, saying "eat less" or something else equally rediculous. Push to have your thyroid checked. If that comes back "normal" then push to have your cortisol checked. PUSH, PUSH, PUSH for answers. No one else will fight for your health. No one else can, if you are able to speak for yourself.