Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated....

Hi, my name is Amanda, and I have decided on getting the lap-band surgey. I am so frustrated because I am paying for it myself (my husband and I are). I have considered Mexico, and really dont think thats an option for me. It seems like it is taking forever to save the money up, we have saved almost half but, I am ready to get this done so I can begin a healthier life. Neither myself or my husband qualify for loans, because we don't have enough credit. Does anyone else have any suggestions? All comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Hi I was a self pay patient also and I found Dr. John Weaver in Colorado. He is awesome and so are his office staff. Out of pocket cost was 8900 which isnt as cheap as Mexico but I didn't want to leave the US for my surgery. I am flying back to see him this Monday for my one month follow up which is included with the total cost. I would HIGHLY recomend Dr Weaver to anyone who is considering lab band surgery.

Unfortunately even if you aren't self-pay the process is still long and frustrating. I had to wait many months (required diets, testing etc.) on insurance and I know some one here have waited for over a year. I just tried to concentrate on learning as much as I could and practice it pre-band (eating smaller bites, chewing, quitting soda etc.) Your time will come just hand in there!

Being that his is something you are doing for your health, I'd get pretty creative.

If I had a relativly nice car, I'd sell it & drive a clunker for a couple years

If I had any expensive toys (motorcycles, boats, guns, jewelry, etc) they'd be gone.

Do you have any marketable talents? I'd be using Craigslist to occupy any spare time I had with a revenue generating activity.

Delivering pizzas is an easy job to get even if it's just part time in the evenings & it actually pays pretty well.

I was self paid too, we (family) organized bingos and gathered money for my surgery, we didn't say it was for that purpose, and we sold some jewelry, and other things that we didn't need anymore, it took us like 5 months to get all the money that I needed :) If you really wanted you will find the way!!

I was self paid too, we (family) organized bingos and gathered money for my surgery, we didn't say it was for that purpose, and we sold some jewelry, and other things that we didn't need anymore, it took us like 5 months to get all the money that I needed :) If you really wanted you will find the way!!

I love this! How awesome that you did everything you could to get the money to improve your health...inspiring!

Thanks I have a great support system ;)

Hi' date=' my name is Amanda, and I have decided on getting the lap-band surgey. I am so frustrated because I am paying for it myself (my husband and I are). I have considered Mexico, and really dont think thats an option for me. It seems like it is taking forever to save the money up, we have saved almost half but, I am ready to get this done so I can begin a healthier life. Neither myself or my husband qualify for loans, because we don't have enough credit. Does anyone else have any suggestions? All comments are appreciated. Thanks![/quote']

I can imagine your frustration especially once you've made up your mind to have it done. The process was quick for me here in Australia. Once I decided I finally made my decision, after months of research, I called the surgeons office made an appointment to see him, got an appointment three weeks later, in that time I had to have blood tested which I got organized. Saw my surgeon for an initial consultation mid may, 2012. Felt comfortable with him right away, after spending an hour talking to him he said ok you're a good candidate for lapband let's book you in. He was going to book me in for June but once he checked his schedule and realised he would be overseas at that time I was booked in for 2 July, 2012. I have private health insurance so the whole procedure was covered with only $150 out of pocket for the overnight hospital stay. I had to pay $4,300 up front which covers all my appointments for fills, a few appointments with a dietician and any other appointments with the centre for life.

I had a garage sale which I had been wanting to do for a while. That earned me just over $1,500, had a lot of baby items and clothes I also sold which added up to $1,200 and the rest I had in my bank account.

I know this is a hard one but could you go to a friend, parents for a loan and pay them back? You have to make sure you could make regular payments too.

I know how you feel. I have saved up my money for this surgery and last week I have lost my job. Now I'm afraid to touch my savings because I will probably live off of it in the next coming months. I guess my surgery has to wait a few more months...:/

It would be frustrating to wait so long. I was self pay too but I opted to go to Dr. Almanza in Mexico. I was very scared and many people did not want me going to Mexico, but now that it is done I am so grateful I did it. The experience was good and everything was clean and professional. Maybe reconsider going to Mexico if you want to get done sooner. I hope everything works out for you.

Thank you all for your encouraging words!

I know how you feel. I have saved up my money for this surgery and last week I have lost my job. Now I'm afraid to touch my savings because I will probably live off of it in the next coming months. I guess my surgery has to wait a few more months...:/

I am sorry you lost your job.

Be aware that if you have a hiatal hernia, your US cash price may be significantly lower. Mine was partial self pay and partial insurance due to a hiatal hernia. It made my cash portion $7500, $2400 less than the regular cash price. I've seen others here post much lower prices with hernia. My Dr said that about 80% of overweight people have some kind of hiatal hernia... Something to look into or ask about.

I paid the cash part from my HSA account. It took me about three yrs to save enough in my HSA account to feel comfortable going ahead. (I wanted to have at least 150% in my account as I didn't want to completely deplete it when I had surgery...) Took me a while, but I am finally banded and looking to a healthier future...

Good luck!