Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It is a great way to think about the "tool" aspect of it all, but the house doesn't go back to being morbidly obese when the tools go away.

I do understand why someone would lie or omit about WLS. They are the ones who know people in their lives and people can be cruel. At some point they may have to figure out if people will be more respectful of a liar or a WLS patient. We are the ones who make choices throughout our own lives. Choose it and live with it.

Good morning Humming Bird!

Having spent a majority of my career as a contractor, trust me, if a house is not maintained with the proper tools and a lot of hard work, it will most certainly fall into a state of disrepair. Our bodies are essentially the same in many ways! As long as we are committed to ourselves and using the right tools, we enjoy much healthier and happier lifestyles. Very much like the house analogy, if we become less committed to ourselves, and don't use the proper tools, we also fall into a state of disrepair (obese, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sugar diabetes, and other issues).

I've been asked many times how I am losing my weight and I usually tell them exactly what I am doing and the amount of hard work that goes into it. I also take the opportunity to teach people about obesity, genetics, and the other realities related to our conditions. For the majority of us, losing weight and keeping it off, is a daily battle against life-long habits and genetics, which unfortunately many people simply do not understand!

I'm one of those that tells everyone. I am happy with my decision and I really could not care less what naysayers may think. I have had only positive reactions and I always make sure I make it clear that daily exercise and good nutrition have been vital factors. Two of my coworkers even went on to have the surgery themselves! We work in a school so we haven't seen each other in about 2 months. I'm eager to see and talk to them. I know I will be talked about when school starts up but it is all good. They see me outside running the track and they know I work for it.

I'm actually very shocked and saddened by how many people on this post are choosing to keep their WLS to themselves. I know I'm only 3 days post op, but I seriously want to shout it from the roof tops! I lost 45 lbs prior to surgery and will be just as proud of those pounds as the ones that are to come...Whether from a special diet or a secret weapon (the band), I think the world needs reminders of how good it feels to get healthy and safe ways to get there! Personally, I will share with anyone who asks and stand by my decision 110%! If I shared with 10,000 people and it only motivated one person, it would be worth it! I feel that by keeping my methods a secret is not doing our overweight society any favors. It's such a shame that there is such a stigma behind it all...I want my actions to combat those misconceptions about WLS, not fan the flame. Being overweight is a miserable feeling, but giving the gift of hope to someone who feels like there is none left is a mission I will gladly accept. And honestly, I was 512lbs at my heaviest and was picked on, pointed at, and laughed at daily. Compared to THAT torture, people who want to question my decision to get LB & get healthy are just a blip on my radar...I'm here to focus on me, and hopefully inspire others to make their lifelong commitments to healthy living too! I understand that not everyone will be supportive or truly understand what it takes to be successful and so I say to each his own! But I encourage those who don't share to do so. We've all hid ourselves from the world, worried what people might say or think...But no more! This is our time, our life and our journey! No matter how we are doing it, stay proud...Some may never "get it," but we'll always have eachother!! :))

CCornell, YES! YES! YES! Well said!

I tell everyone. It would be a big lie for me to tell anyone I did it any other way. I have tried most of my life to do it the other ways and they do not work. The other ways just made me more obese in the longrun. I finally found something that works and I have kept the weight off with the band.

BigDennis,

Well said. You are right. a house would be in bad shape without the continued use of the tools.

The "hard work" part has not been there for me though. I have been one of the lucky ones and have put in very little effort. Dropping this weight and keeping it off has been the easiest thing I ever tried to win this weightloss battle. I do understand that many others do have to work at it.

I guess I really am afraid of failing at yet another weight loss attempt which is why I have not shared my story.

If I keep my little secret until I know for sure I can be successful it gives me the power and confidence to continue working hard.

At some point I will want to share but for now this works for me.

I have lived in judgement from others for so long in my life and my career,

I don't feel many deserve to know.

I have been successful so far....this works! I hope? I know others have failed...

I have to succeed for my health. Please don't judge anyone on their choice...if you are here on this site we have been judged enough!

It is a personal decision to tell or not to tell...everyone is different. I do feel however that people will judge and have chosen not to tell that I'm banded - now four years for me...I have made goal weight, popped back up and back on my way back down. The only person I answer to is myself - good or bad.

Being a young person that just got banded I decided I would tell close family. I also decided I would tell a close friend so she could cover for me at school. Well her whole family found out and now they are even considering the surgery. I don't think im laying when people ask what i'm doing different because I am working butt off and watching what I eat. I think one day I will be happy to tell people the full story but i'm not ready for the added pressure of everyone knowing yet.

Okay now that I have lost over 50 pounds lots of people are starting to ask me how I have lost so much weight. I never planned on telling people I had lap band so I will tell them I eat less and run 3 to 4 miles every other day. Then they will say what else did you do or did you do somthing to get kick started? Ummmmm.........well I started off doing the couch to 5k and worked my way up to running as much as I do now and I did a liquid diet for about 10 days. Then I always just want to say oh and I had lapband. So am I lying by not telling that part?

I don't think your a Lier you don't have to let everyone in your business. Don't feel bad and you gave a healthy excuse lol. Hopefully they follow the routine and try to improve their life without the band good luck keep up the good work. I get my procedure soon I'm not telling ;)

It's your band and therefore your business. Personally I wouldn't lie. I am DAMN PROUD of what I was able to accomplish with the help of my band.

I shout it from the rooftops and when people look at me and say I "cheated" I tell them "YUP! I cheated, I cheated death" they really can't make a comment back on that now can they??? LOL I too was fortunate as in not having to work hard at it but I did work for it nonetheless. I'm proud of who I am now and I may end up saving a life HOWEVER I do agree that it's a totally PERSONAL choice to tell or not. Good Luck with whatever descion you choose for YOU!

Peace and Huggles

Bonnie

It's no ones business but your own. People are quick to judge. Society thinks obese is disgusting...so I choose to talk her and not talk at work! :)

Okay now that I have lost over 50 pounds lots of people are starting to ask me how I have lost so much weight. I never planned on telling people I had lap band so I will tell them I eat less and run 3 to 4 miles every other day. Then they will say what else did you do or did you do somthing to get kick started? Ummmmm.........well I started off doing the couch to 5k and worked my way up to running as much as I do now and I did a liquid diet for about 10 days. Then I always just want to say oh and I had lapband. So am I lying by not telling that part?

Forget what people think I'm like you I'm not banded yet, but I don't plan on telling many people. I can count on one hand how many people I will tell,

It's personal. You are the one to decide to tell people or not. You are not 'lying', the lapband isnt a magic pill, it takes work to lose the weight, like my primary doc said, its 'forced discipline'. Don't feel bad about not telling... some people do and some dont, its a personal choice.