Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ketogenic Diet

Hi all - So....we all know that the lapband is not PERFECT and is merely a tool in our weight loss journey. I initially lost a good amount of weight and am happy with my overall experience with the band. It does what I need it to do....restrict me from overeating. However, I've reached a plateau. Blah. First let me explain a little....I do not want to go in for a fill to make me tighter. I've never used the band like that, and my doctor doesn't recommend that. Adjusting eating habits is always my first option. I have "ok" restriction which is OK with me! :) I am able to eat "portioned" meals (i'd say a 4oz piece of meat w/a 4oz veggie side). But if i were any tighter, I wouldn't be able to eat a portioned meal.

So anyways..... I am trying to lose 30lbs and I've done the whole eating right, exercising, etc. and I still seem to be at a plateau so I figured I'd give the ketogenic/low carb diet a try. My hopes are that I drop a good amount in the beginning since it is such a shock to my system and then I can gradually bring carbs back in and go to a normal healthy eating lifestyle that I usually do anyways.

Anybody who has done the ketogenic diet or is low carb friendly and has some good food choices, please feel free to chime in! :) So far it hasn't been too bad - yesterday i had 2 eggs, 2 bacon and cup of black coffee with 2 equal for bfast, for lunch I had two beef hot dogs cut up with spicy mustard, snack I had string cheese, and for dinner I had filet mignon (med rare is the only way I can eat it) with spinach sauteed w/garlic and parm cheese. My total carb count was less than 10g yesterday and I am trying to keep it low so I remain in ketosis and burn fat. I am drinking tons of Water as well all day long. I do have 5-hour energy on hand due to the decrease in energy that comes along with low carb. But it is 0carbs.

You don't say how long your plateau has been? I've seen people post that they have plateaued after just 3 days(silly) and others for months.

I was on Atkins, south beach and paleo diets for about 30 years and they mostly worked for me. When I turned to my mid 50's my knees went bad and I now sit at desk 10 hours a day.

When I plateau, I revert back to my no/low carb routine. However, I've moved away from the Atkins type of diet. Eating a slab of bacon or a 20 oz steak just doesn't seem healthy to me anymore. It did work when I was younger but no longer.

I'd recommend you add salads heavy with low carb low glycemic index vegetables. Olive oil with balsamic vinegars and feta cheese are delicious. I'm cooking an egg beater quiche right now. I used the southwestern egg beater and added jalapenos, onions, low calorie cheese and chunks of red bell pepper.

Lunches seem to be the hardest meal for me for low carb. I'm always in a hurry and eating deli turkey or ham seems to work but gets very boring. When I grill burgers or chicken I try to have leftovers for lunches. I'm with you on the last 30 lbs. That's about where I am and it is getting to be so much more difficult than the first 45.

tmf

You don't say how long your plateau has been? I've seen people post that they have plateaued after just 3 days(silly) and others for months.

I was on Atkins, south beach and paleo diets for about 30 years and they mostly worked for me. When I turned to my mid 50's my knees went bad and I now sit at desk 10 hours a day.

When I plateau, I revert back to my no/low carb routine. However, I've moved away from the Atkins type of diet. Eating a slab of bacon or a 20 oz steak just doesn't seem healthy to me anymore. It did work when I was younger but no longer.

I'd recommend you add salads heavy with low carb low glycemic index vegetables. Olive oil with balsamic vinegars and feta cheese are delicious. I'm cooking an egg beater quiche right now. I used the southwestern egg beater and added jalapenos, onions, low calorie cheese and chunks of red bell pepper.

Lunches seem to be the hardest meal for me for low carb. I'm always in a hurry and eating deli turkey or ham seems to work but gets very boring. When I grill burgers or chicken I try to have leftovers for lunches. I'm with you on the last 30 lbs. That's about where I am and it is getting to be so much more difficult than the first 45.

tmf

I've been at a plateau (+/- 10 or so lbs) for about a year now. I was doing well when I could do intense workouts, but since I fractured my ankle in April and had 2 surgeries on it, I am only able to do low-impact exercises (walking, bike, weights, etc) for now. So it makes it even harder and have actually put on more weight.

I know what you mean by having the high fat foods and feeling that they are unhealthy....i too feel that way, but only doing it this way for the first two weeks. I know a bunch of body builders and they say that high fat and high Protein is key in the beginning and then you can start adjusting after the initial "induction" period is over.

I am adding salads, daily, cause that's what I'm used to eating for lunch so I am going to stick with that. For instance, today I will have a salad with spinach and chopped chicken topped with oil and vinegar.

I'm hoping if I really keep my carb count low for the first two weeks I'll see a drop. Wish me luck and thanks for your tips!

I was wondering how healthy low carb & high fat can be over time. I've had 3 friends that were on Adkins & ended up with gallbladder issues. Don't know if diet caused it or coincidence but something to think about. I agree tho that the last 30 lbs are a b***h to lose! Good luck. :-)

1 year qualifies as a plateau!! :wacko:

tmf

I prefer a very low carb, low fat, high Protein & veggies with limited fruit because of the high sugar content, this works best for me.

When I have tried Atkins I will put on weight.

I had a 4 month plateau from earlier this year and then had a small fill a few months ago, which worked for me.

Good luck getting off the plateau.

I was wondering how healthy low carb & high fat can be over time. I've had 3 friends that were on Adkins & ended up with gallbladder issues. Don't know if diet caused it or coincidence but something to think about. I agree tho that the last 30 lbs are a b***h to lose! Good luck. :-)

Lucky for me I had my gallbladder removed ;) But in all seriousness, I would never use this diet as a long term diet. This is merely a jumpstart in my weight loss.

I prefer a very low carb, low fat, high Protein & veggies with limited fruit because of the high sugar content, this works best for me.

When I have tried Atkins I will put on weight.

I had a 4 month plateau from earlier this year and then had a small fill a few months ago, which worked for me.

Good luck getting off the plateau.

I tried the low carb, high Protein, and low fat and it didn't work for me. From what i've read, high fat is key (especially in the beginning) for ketosis. I'll let you all know how it works out! :)

The only way I've been able to induce 'ketosis' in myself, is to get my digestive system to switch from 'glyconeogensis' to 'glycolytic' status. And that has taken 3-4 day fast to obtain.

My data is very old but has worked well at least in my own instance. The marker I've used for 'ketotic state' is foul breath and coated tongue, as the change from sugar break down of simple carbs is replaced by metabolic extraction of stored glycogen (fat).

In retirement I've been too lazy to re-enter the discipline it took to obtain that state. Given the 8 pounds I've actually gained over the last 6 months the need to do such has reestablished itself yet again.

I do note for myself the high protein/low carb does help move me in the direction I want to go, as food craving and sport eating nonsense are decreased.

The only way I've been able to induce 'ketosis' in myself, is to get my digestive system to switch from 'glyconeogensis' to 'glycolytic' status. And that has taken 3-4 day fast to obtain.

My data is very old but has worked well at least in my own instance. The marker I've used for 'ketotic state' is foul breath and coated tongue, as the change from sugar break down of simple carbs is replaced by metabolic extraction of stored glycogen (fat).

In retirement I've been too lazy to re-enter the discipline it took to obtain that state. Given the 8 pounds I've actually gained over the last 6 months the need to do such has reestablished itself yet again.

I do note for myself the high protein/low carb does help move me in the direction I want to go, as food craving and sport eating nonsense are decreased.

Surprisingly I hit ketosis by end of day 2. I limited myself under 10g Carbs and increase fat and Protein. I too had the foul breath w/a bit of a coating on it (yuck!) but also used ketostix and was in the mild/moderate ketosis range (light-medium purple).

I am actually quite surprised on the variety of foods i CAN eat. I thought I was going to suffer a lot, but I've been satisfied at every meal. :)

I did Atkins several yrs ago and lost 80 lbs .... then my fiance died and I gained 40 back - SIGH - I 2nd the adding leafy greens to your low carb diet ... this helps prevent Constipation. Or add a ton of Fiber supplements each day ... and you should be golden.

Keep us updated, I'm trying to do low carb for the next few months because I am going on a cruise and I want to break my plateau.

I did Atkins several yrs ago and lost 80 lbs .... then my fiance died and I gained 40 back - SIGH - I 2nd the adding leafy greens to your low carb diet ... this helps prevent Constipation. Or add a ton of Fiber supplements each day ... and you should be golden.

Keep us updated, I'm trying to do low carb for the next few months because I am going on a cruise and I want to break my plateau.

So sorry to hear about your fiance.

I have been eating spinach everyday. Although, I'm not having a problem with constipation anyways....quite the opposite actually! lol Since I had my gallbladder removed, high fat foods go right through me! Maybe that could be a benefit w/this diet?? lol ;)

I have just restarted Keto after a 1 month trial before Thanksgiving.

My lap band history is that I had the surgery done about 12 years ago (Nov 2005). I lost about 60 lbs and have put about half of that back (keeping in the 200-215 lb range). I felt good at my lowest (~175). My bariatric dr. did an initial fill post surgery (winter) and I had another fill a couple of months later. I had a partial unfill 2-3 years after the 2nd fill from a nurse that was doing them in the Marysville WA area (I was about 190 lb at the time, but had a hard time keeping dense food down especially protein). She has since closed down her fill/unfill business. As I was self pay it has been difficult to find someone to do fills/unfills (I can't afford $300+ each time, probably much more now plus the price of a fluoroscope exam). I would actually like an unfill (partial or total), but am now on medicare so can't afford an unfill unless I can find someone like the nurse. My daughter who also has a band is glad she had it done (she was substantially more overweight and had many more health issues including type 2 diabetes). However, I wish that I had not had it (I only had high cholesterol, slightly high blood pressure and sleep apnea). The band has made it very difficult in social situations (eating food) and I get stressed and then it is harder to keep food down and I usually have to excuse myself and go to the restroom to BP (vomit).

As far as keto, it is not really a high fat diet unless you make it one. You should be eating good fats (olive oil, avocado, some nuts, I make keto mayo with olive oil). Since I can't eat a ton of Protein, I don't feel I'm getting an overabundance of saturated fat and I try to eat leaner/cleaner cuts of meat and grass fed hamburger. I don't eat much bacon, maybe once a week I'll have a slice or two. The most important parts of keto is keeping your carbs low (20 g or less my preference or typically 20-30 when trying to lose weight) and moderate levels of protein (0.8 gram per kg of ideal body weight or you can scale down as you go if using your current weight; or see https://www.livestrong.com/article/535738-how-to-determine-protein-requirements/ to determine requirements). Too much protein converts into glucose.

Look up Jason Fung (one of the "diet doctors" on youtube). Dr. Jason Fung completed medical school at the University of Toronto and a fellowship in nephrology at the University of California. He founded the Intensive Dietary Management Program in Toronto that provides a unique treatment focus for type 2 diabetes and obesity.

He has an enlightening book called "The Obesity Code:...". He is an advocate of the keto diet and intermittent fasting.

Another good source for inspiration is youtube's "Keto Christina". She has lost over 100 lbs and is very knowledgeable. She eats a lot of Irish bacon (very lean, not much fat compared to US bacon).

P.S. I had my gallbladder removed at time of lap band due to stones and my daughter needed her gallbladder removed about 6 months post lap band surgery.

Edited by dwolf425keto
Postscript