Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband Removal

Having my band removed on Tuesday. Scared for some reason. My body is rejecting it and now the band has slipped big time. Doing the total clear liquid thing until then. No fun.

It sucks, but you'll make it through! Are you getting a revision as well or just removal?

I wanted to get get the sleeve but now my BMI is too low and insurance won't cover the sleeve. My doctor told me on Friday that they wouldn't be able to do it on Tuesday anyway because I have too much tissue damage going on in there right now. Did you have it taken out?

I had mine removed 2 1/2 weeks ago secondary to slip. I was supposed to revise to bypass but there was so much damage they send me home for 6 months of healing. While not at goal my BMI is now 36 with no co-morbidities so I was petrified I wouldn't qualify for revision. However my insurance company has chosen to use their brain and base revision on my pre-band BMI of 50 and my diagnosis of hypertension although now removed.

In many ways I'm doing better than I thought I could. Apparently having a band taught me I don't have to gorge myself, I can have a bite or two of the delicious bad for you stuff and survive!!!!

Good luck to you!

Thank you!! Would you say the pain/recovery was about the same as when you had it put in? I am really nervous about it all. I still need to lose about 40 pounds. I am sooo scared about gaining. Can you eat normally now?

It was probably a bit easier than having the band put in. The normal aches and pains of being cut open and holy cow was the port site sore!!!! Yup, for better or for worse I can eat anything. I'm madly in love with apples and celery and missed them sooooo much!!!

Lol, I had NO guidance on diet on discharge. Advance as tolerated were my discharge orders. I did 2 days of liquids and then 4 or 5 of softs mostly out of fear. My band had been giving me hell for months so I was PETRIFIED to try real solid foods, particularly Protein....truly, it was bizarre. I'd get chicken on my plate then just play with it and eat everything else on my plate, I did that for several days before I finally tried it, and was perfectly fine.

I have been hitting my fitness pal like a crazy woman! My instructions for the next 6 months are to maintain my current weight (or at least attempt) and continue to exercise. So far, weirdly, I'm down 1 pound since surgery. I feel SO much better!!! I don't feel like I'm having a heart attack when I eat. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't being bad some (as an end of summer bash my son and I had popcorn at a movie and frozen yogurt for dinner last night), but I'm mostly being good. I'm able to get Protein with no problem at all so the majority of my foods are the healthy crunchy solid stuff I've been missing. I'm actually feeling more energetic and exercising more than I have in over a year so no doubt that is helping. The plan for now is to be pretty good on Sunday, great Monday-Friday morning, then Friday night and Saturday do what I want to do, within reason. The urge to eat until I'm stuffed is gone so ths too is helping.

Wow! That's amazing. Yes, I am excited about eating without feeling like I am going to die. Thank you so much!!! Sounds like you are doing great. I need to start exercising BIG TIME! You should be quite proud of yourself!

You'll do great and feel so much better :) I did have a pity party for a couple days post op, got majorly down about the whole thing and pictured myself becoming a whale. I hear that pretty common though so dont be surprised if it hits you. Take it easy and go slow. M and keep me updated!!!

Goodness' date=' here we go again. Hate to hear this you two, glad you're getting rid of the band and hopefully you'll have a full recovery. Christie I am not surprised you had no guideance, albeit terrible, it's not the first case whereby a patient was treated and sent out the door with no marching orders, what ashame some practices get away with this.

On the bright side the spotlight on second rate banding practices has been shining for awhile now and the statium lights on the entire band procedure has been well lit for a few years fortunately. Stay tuned, it's not going to be good for many surgeons in the U.S. at least.

Wish you both the best a quick healthy recovery.[/quote']

Wait, wait, slight misunderstanding!!! I actually have a fabulous surgeon, technically probably the best in the state, he's who you go to if there's a problem or you need a revision. My lack of guidance was on the post op after removal diet....I was told advance as tolerated. It after 3 years of 'don't eat this, don't eat that, go slow, blah blah blah' it was kinda Overwhelming to e told just go home and try whatever. My surgeon, while lacking in personality, has an excellent program an is big on educating his patients. And he, like others, had figured out bands are problematic and is phasing out with them.

Having my band removed on Tuesday. Scared for some reason. My body is rejecting it and now the band has slipped big time. Doing the total clear liquid thing until then. No fun.

Good luck today!!!! Remember walk walk walk and drugs are your friend!!!!

Thank you so much! Getting really really nervous. More than I was before I wa banded. Don't know why. I appreciate everyone's support! I should have joined this years ago. :) Talk to you all later. :)