Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking While Eating!

Y is it so bad to drink while we eat?

' FEELIN IT '

It reduces the efficiency of the band. Think of the band like a funnel, and when you drink while eating, you make the food mushier and easier to slip through, thereby allowing you to eat more. Better just to follow the suggestions of those who have gone before us, and not drink while eating! :)

K thank you!

' FEELIN IT '

Also if you get stuck that drink is going to come up and I hear it's very painful.

What are your surgeon's instructions to you about drinking while eating??? Every surgeon has their small variations on post op instructions...but I have never read of one who would permit drinking while eating as a bandster.

So, yes, it's not advisable to drink and eat at the same time. For the reasons posted earlier, and also that it will likely confuse the sensors in your pouch into feeling full without consuming your much needed allowed portion of Protein. Thus, you would likely feel full before you got your needed nutrients in, which would then in turn likely slow your rate of weight loss. When you either don't have enough calories daily and/or don't eat enough Protein to meet your daily protein goal you will slow your rate of weight loss.

My surgeon say no drinks 15 min before and 15 after! I just keep catching myself in habbit!

' FEELIN IT '

This video really helps understand why not to drink while eating.

My surgeon say no drinks 15 min before and 15 after! I just keep catching myself in habbit!

' FEELIN IT '

Simple solution to the problem...have nothing to drink on the the table while at the table or within reach while you are eating. Mindful eating (aware eating) would then take over your automatic actions to continue to drink during meals.

My surgeon says its ok to drink if you need to, his instructions were wait one or two minutes after that bite of food then you can drink a bit. Always wait a minute or two between bites. And before anyone jumps up and down I have done this when I've needed a drink and have still lost over 7 kilos in 7 weeks. Also befiore anyone Knocks my surgeon he is the one that pioneered the lapband here in Australia and I do believe he is also a director in the us of the lapband centre in Texas.

But as others have said follow your surgeons instructions as we are all given different information.

This video really helps understand why not to drink while eating.

Great visual OTR! Thanks!

drinking while eating can also increase the size of your pouch, you're adding food and adding liquid, it will flush your food through, you'll eat more and not sat as satiated as long. My doctor's rules were no drinking for 60 mins post meal, but you could drink up until your first bite. AND no drinking during your meal. This has been one rule, I have followed to the letter since I was banded 2008. I have lost over 270lbs and I think this is a good rule to follow.

My surgeon says do not drink Water 1/2 he before or after. To keep the protien (that we eat first of course) in our pouch longer. To make sure we get all the nutrients from the food. The water would push it through a little quicker, leaving less nutrients in our stomach to be flourished into the body. Just my 2cents. :)