Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm well aware of the issue of drinking Coke but I'm totally addicted to it. I bought the small cans, which my son keeps hidden in his room, in order to control my addiction. My band was filled under fluoro last week and it's working good. Not too much restriction but I have another appointment on the 10th. My question is: will drinking one small can a day be too bad? After this last fill, I can tell that it takes me longer to drink the Coke.

I'm well aware of the issue of drinking Coke but I'm totally addicted to it. I bought the small cans' date=' which my son keeps hidden in his room, in order to control my addiction. My band was filled under fluoro last week and it's working good. Not too much restriction but I have another appointment on the 10th. My question is: will drinking one small can a day be too bad? After this last fill, I can tell that it takes me longer to drink the Coke.[/quote']

Hi fire, best way to drink carbonated drinks is to let it go flat if you need to drink them but check out the sugar content of coke. You will fall over backwards once you realise how much sugar is in even just a small can, then add that up over a period if a week. I used to love coke too but have cut it out completely. Every now and then if my kids have a coke I'll ask to have a tiny sip and it doesn't taste as good as I remember it. My doctor did say that if I ever had a stuck

Moment to drink coke as the bubbles would make you burp and help shift the stuck food.

Coke every now and then I don't think it's too bad.

This is just my opinion, but you couldn't pay me to touch carbonation since being banded.

I've read a couple studies linking carbonation to slips. It goes through the band immediately because it's a liquid, but the carbonation expands in the lower stomach below the band, pushing upward. This is what causes slips.

My roommate after Lap Band surgery was in there for a revision. She had been drinking soda and her band not only slipped, but her stomach actually prolapsed up through her band. She also gained back 40 pounds because of it.

I was a huge soda addict before being banded, but it's simply not worth the risks. I haven't had one in over 7 months and never plan to again.

I would love to just flat out quit drinking Coke but the few times that I've quit it, I relapse (just like and addict) and then binge on it big time! So, I figured that if I drank a little can a day, my urges will be reduced.

I would love to just flat out quit drinking Coke but the few times that I've quit it, I relapse (just like and addict) and then binge on it big time! So, I figured that if I drank a little can a day, my urges will be reduced.

Actually the only way to stop an addiction is to quit it and never touch it again. I was a true addict too. I drank about 6 cans a day and quitting seriously sucked. Just like a drug addict or alcoholic can't have their addiction in moderation and remain in control of it, neither can we.

I've been banded for 7 months. I have had soda in that time and every time I do I always feel horrible afterwards I'm going to stop it just not worth it.

I have stopped Sodas and Caffeine as well since July 30...I went through the horrible headache and all.

My question is...I love iced tea...what are you thoughts on caffeine? I know they wanted us to stop for presurgery, but do you all have caffeine?

I was banded on Aug 14th ;)

Thanks!

I would love to just flat out quit drinking Coke but the few times that I've quit it' date=' I relapse (just like and addict) and then binge on it big time! So, I figured that if I drank a little can a day, my urges will be reduced.[/quote']

I know it's hard fire, could you maybe try diet flavored cordial, that way you're getting the taste of coke but it isn't as bad as coke. Then try and ween yourself that way. I know I went cold turkey and got the headaches withdrawals etc but eventually lost that craving.

I have stopped Sodas and Caffeine as well since July 30...I went through the horrible headache and all.

My question is...I love iced tea...what are you thoughts on caffeine? I know they wanted us to stop for presurgery, but do you all have caffeine?

Thanks!

I drink Diet Lipton Green Iced Tea all the time, I love the citrus and mixed berry flavors. I've never had a problem with caffeine in it nor does my surgeon. It's zero calorie and not carbonated so it's been a great substitution for soda for me.

I love diet snapple teas and don't even miss diet coke now! If you are really addicted to coke, follow what the 12 steppers say and stop cold turkey! Many years ago I was a smoker. I have never had another cigarette because I know 1 would lead to 20! It was hard but I am sooooo glad I quit! Good luck.

My question is...I love iced tea...what are you thoughts on caffeine? I know they wanted us to stop for presurgery' date=' but do you all have caffeine?

Thanks![/quote']

I too was banded August 14th. I make tea with Splenda. I personally don't think a glass or two a day is a problem. Some surgeons say no caffeine (mine did), but I could not deal with the withdraw headaches so I limit it to one glass a day sweetened with Splenda. Previously I was a diet coke fanatic but haven't missed it since I went cold turkey!

Personally if I were yu I wouldn't even buy small cans for son. Having it completetly out of your house will help. "Out of site = out of mind" as they say.

Even though its technically hidden in his room, c'mon its practically just as accessible as it being in your fridge.

Good luck

@firebellydancer

Your not a freak of nature that you can tolerate soda. Many people can! And lots of surgeons don't have issues with carbonation either. Everyone reacts to the band in different ways