Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How To Tighten A Lap Band Without A Port Head?

This is somewhat of a strange query. Im hoping someone can offer some insight. I would appreciate if readers could concentrate on my question rather then trying to persuade me in another direction (eg suggesting I should just worry about my health).

Recently my port broke through my skin. So the port was on the outside of my abdomen with the tubing going inside.

I am awaiting further testing as to the underlying complications.

However in the mean time i have nil tension on the band as all the fill came out when the port was cut off.

Now i am piling on the weight. I have a small degree of self control to stick to small quantities without it.

Is it possible to inject some fill into the tube and plug it up somehow? The tube that was connected to the port is still sticking out through a hole in my stomache. However there is nothing to stop any fill coming straight back oy

I have to agree with Mis. I simply do not see a way to "plug" up the part of the tubing to keep the Fluid in. The port actually does this for us once it is injected into. It also seals itself whereas the tubing does not. The tube would simply have a prick in it where the needle went into it.

Sorry! I hope your situation works out for you soon!

Dear Mis73 thank you for your reply! I thought that was the case but thought I'd put it out there.

Life without the band is horrible.

Dear Mis73 thank you for your reply! I thought that was the case but thought I'd put it out there.

Life without the band is horrible.

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. Are they going to replace the port for you?

Unbelievably I doubt it. Not in the country I live in. Another trip to Mexico to get a new port I think.

Yes it is a nightmare. I live in Australia where only medical necessities are performed.

if your port has broke through the skin, sounds like a medical necessity to me. Are they not going to fix it for you?

Model if you have insurance I'd suggest you get a new band in Australia. I'm in Perth, the whole thing was covered (it's considered an essential non plastic surgery) and I was out of pocket $2500 but I get $250 back.

The best thing is that my dr said that if ANYTHING happens then the whole thing is replaced for free.

If you don't have insurance it might be worth signing up, waiting out the year then getting it done?

I'm with HBF on young single savers + hospital essential.

Dear hollydolly they saw it as a medical necessity to cut it off but not to replace it.

Sophiespo i don't have private health cover unfortunately. There's absolutely no way i am waiting a year. I would sooner borrow the money and get it done asap.

If it were me i would be doing everything possible to try and fill it. I work in a hospital and have axcess to syringes and all the idems needed. I went to nursing school and knkw how to create a sterile field to work with. So i would fill my syringe with what you generally got for a first fill with normal saline then try like the liquid bandaid or liquid stitches. Or if tubing stickes out far enough i would use the liquid stitches then wrap with steri striped or gauze and bandage. Not sure how long it would last if at all but i wohld be trying everything. I am not recommending this for you only telling what i would do for myself.

Ready4change2 I absolutely love your thinking style. That was really the answer i was hoping to hear. If only you lived near me! I will consult with a surgeon tomorrow to see if i can persuade them to give it a try. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

Just use caution, the last thing you want or need is an infection in your abdominal cavity....bad stuff!!!! I'd be getting it replaced ASAP a you said, having any part sticking through the skin freaks me out!!!

Is this poster for real?

A lot of what he/she says in the original post doesn't ring true. I can't imagine the port just coming out through the skin like that, if it did it would probably indicate that there was a major problem and the whole thing would be extremely prone to a serious if not life threatening infection. That in itself would be considered a medical emergency.

It is not true that only medical necessities are performed in Australia. In fact if you ever have an emergency and have to go to hospital they are usually very helpful.

Most Australians that did not believe they would get help in Australia would not talk about going to Mexico. medical tourists from Aus tend to go to Bali or Thailand.

Maybe I am completely wrong but?????

So Model please give us some more information. Where do you live? Who is/was your Dr?