Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My concern isn't damage to the band it's damage to me. I was told that I ran the very real risk of my stomach being punctured when they were tubing it if they didn't know about the band and take precautions because of it.

I just don't want to go into a hospital for one issue and end up staying for a hole in my stomach because a doctor didn't realize there was a band in his way of tubing me.

I didn't get a card

i bought a id Bracelet and were it daily.

it alerts that i have a lap band w/plication, no nsaids and no blind tubing

i did not get an id card either

but whatever works for you is what you should get

Hi All,

I thank you all for your opinions and I respect them. I personally have decided to get a dog tag with a chain to go around my neck. I feel its better to be safe then sorry. I would rather have it knowing there is a chance some day it could help me greatly. I figure worse case scenario if something were to happen the first thing they would do is cut my shirt off and remove the chain. whether they were to actually take a minute and look it is another case altogether.

I really like this dog tag on Laurens hope http://www.laurenshope.com/product/2065/ST54/swiss-army-medical-dog-tag-necklace/size

One other thought about having the medical card with your license. If you put a paper clip to keep them together there is no way they can miss it when looking for your license....I would hope anyway.

Hi All,

I thank you all for your opinions and I respect them. I personally have decided to get a dog tag with a chain to go around my neck. I feel its better to be safe then sorry. I would rather have it knowing there is a chance some day it could help me greatly. I figure worse case scenario if something were to happen the first thing they would do is cut my shirt off and remove the chain. whether they were to actually take a minute and look it is another case altogether.

I really like this dog tag on Laurens hope http://www.laurensho...g-necklace/size

i got my Bracelet off here

if you go to eggface.com, you can use a code to get 10% off purchase

I used to not think a medical ID Bracelet was necessary for the Lap Band. I went in for emergency surgery this past Sunday and now I know otherwise. I am definitely getting one immediately.

When you have a band, it is so crucial the doctors working on you are aware of it. Thankfully I was conscious and could make the fact I had a Lap Band known, but if I couldn't and the surgeons didn't know, I'm certain I'd have been in real trouble.

For instance, I had abdominal surgery. Of course there's a risk of the tubing or band itself being cut. But when you go in for emergency surgery, they have to empty the contents of your stomach before surgery so you don't risk asphyxiating while under anesthesia. They do this by putting a tube up your nose and down your throat. If they didn't know I had the band and had taken the Fluid out of it before, the risk was very real my stomach could've been literally punctured trying to get the tube down. In fact, normally they don't tube your stomach until you're asleep, but because I have the band I had to be awake for it. I had to swallow as they did it to make sure it went through the band and not hit it. (yeah that was not pleasant at all, ugh!)

So the moral to the story- I found out first hand this weekend how crucial it is for doctors to know about our bands. I will definitely be getting an ID bracelet.

...thanks for this information. its good to know. im going to buy one for myself as well.

I was just getting ready to post a question about this. Glad I did a search first...lots on this topic. My sister has emailed me twice now telling me that she's seen it a few places where you should have a medical id. I can see why it would be necessary the more I read about it. I'm glad that other people feel like it's worth it to have. Not that fashion should be an issue when it comes to your life, HOWEVER, there are some realllly cute new styles out there for our getting thinner wrists and necks. :)