Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Burning in throat

I have a strange thing happening & I'm not quite sure what it is:

First of all you need to know that I have had ZERO problems since being banded 8 months ago. I rarely PB & haven't had any pain. Smooth sailing...

3 days ago, I tried to eat a hot dog at a party we were at. (No bun, just the hot dog.) I ate it very slowly & it went down pretty good. I've eaten them once or twice before without any problems. I definately felt full when I was done & then a sudden gross feeling was in my throat. (Can't explain it!) I immediately went to the restroom where the entire hot dog came back up. I took it easy on eating the rest of the day.

The next morning I tried to drink a Soy Protein Drink. After just 3 sips, it BURNED & it slowly went down. I waited 2 hrs. & tried to drink some Water. The water sat there for awhile & then slowly gurgled down. I still had a burning sensation in my throat. I am usually closed up in the AM & figured I was just EXTRA tight. At lunch I took 3-4 bites of some potato salad. I ate 4 bites of corn & I was extremely uncomfortable. I had to go sit down & the burning feeling came back. STRANGE!!

At dinner I drank a cup of apple juice very slowly. It felt fine. I then ate some Tomato Soup & the burning feeling came back.

I woke up this morning & have the same problem!! Anything I drink just BURNS my throat. Eating seems impossible.

I had a fill 3 months ago & have had no problems at all. I've been able to eat normally until now.

I've had heartburn before & this doesn't feel like it. I don't know what Reflux feels like, but I am not feeling anything coming up which is what Reflux is supposed to be.

My doctor is in Mexico. I figured I'd ask all you wise people first before goin' cross the border.

Do you think this just something that will go away if I stay on Clear liquids for a few days?

I would just stay on liquids for a couple of days and see what happens. I have that burning in my throat if I eat fried chicken, but I had the same issue pre-banding...I just have to stay completely away from it. It might be that the reflux from the hotdog burned your esophogus a little and now needs some healing time.

I agree. Stay on liquids and let that irritation go down. Stick to non-acidic stuff. Tomato Soup has a lot of acid in it, which might have caused more irritation. Drink soothing things like milk, Protein shakes, ff/sf icecream, sf Jello. Bless your heart. *hugs*

(on a side note.. thats what ya get for cursing us! Mwahahaha! *evil grin*)

So, this is what I get for cursing everyone with the Girl Scout Cookie Curse!!! Oh well...... at least this burning feeling has kept me from eating Girl Scout Cookies!!!! :speechles

I am sticking with Clear Liquids for today. Gosh, I didn't know Tomato Soup was acidic. What about Split Pea Soup? ! How do you know so much P'nut?!?!?!? I am amazed by you!!!!

I DID lose 2 lbs from it all!!!! :( But, I am sooooo hungry!!! :hungry: Steak sounds so good.....with A1 sauce. Oh, what about a baked potatoe with lots of butter & sour cream? Gosh, rocks with butter & sour cream sound good right now!!!

How did I know about tomatoes.. hm, not sure really. Tomato based sauces give me - gave me - heartburn?

And guess what.. as soon as youre off the liquids you can have a baked tater with butter and sour cream! How? Well, I scrape out the insides of a small potato that I cook in the microwave. I moosh it up with a fork, then add a thin sliver of real butter. I dont use sour cream but there are very good fat free ones you can use. I had this very thing with 3 oz of juicy roast beef and green Beans for dinner tonight and I'm so full. *whines*

I'm much worse today!!! The burning in my throat never went away. I can't even keep liquids down. I am choking on a popsicle right now. I have a terrible pain at my band area & was up all night. I threw up black tar. (I didn't eat ANYTHING!!) These are not good signs!! I've got a call into the doctor. I'll let you know what I find out. :paranoid

I'm a little scared. After having no complications for 8 months - I now have this!!!

Oh Diane!!! It sounded like reflux to me... but black tar??? YIKES!!! PLEASE keep us posted!!! I am saying prayers right now that it is nothing... and just the girl scout Cookies coming up! :rolleyes:

Hi

When I got a fill last week, the PA discussed the fact that my surgeon had just gone to a conference about banding and they discussed the high numbers of people who are developing reflux post-surgery. Yours could be a fluke, but I'd keep an eye on it and discusss it at your next appt. Just a thought!

Rose

One reason I try staying away from LBT is because now that I'm not banded, I give bad diet advice. I say eat a pint to soothe & cool the pain.

Okay, all kidding aside, why the heck are you telling LBT and not your doc? HUH? Get on the horn, girl. In the meantime, you might want to start taking Prilosec since it might be reflux/acid, but please call your surgeon, k?

I just got off the phone with my doctor & he wants to see me immediately!! I have an appointment tomorrow in TJ. I will let you know what happens when I return.

That's a good girl. But did you ask if Prilosec is okay till then? All my surgeons (both Mexican and American) wanted me on the stuff, and you can buy it over the counter. At least chew some Tums.

P.S. Tums backwards is smut. I notice these things.

LOL at DeLarla. :rolleyes:

((( Diane ))) I'm so glad you're going to see your doc! We'll be thinking of your tomorrow... let us know how it goes!

Pre-banding, my reflux was brought on by anything acidic (tomato, strawberry, oranges), any starchy carbs (rice, bread, potato), and caffeine (I had a nasty Diet Coke habit -- so I switched to Decaf, lol).

Definitely chew some Tums while you wait for tomorrow. And stick to liquids. Good luck!