Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Something To Think About.

So, went to my first dr appointment, and went in there pretty much set on the lapband. Talking to the RN she pretty much said that she recommends the sleeve more because of the NSAIDS that I take to help with the arthritis that is starting in my knees. Now I just don't know. Went on the vertical band site and, it just kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Perhaps people were cranky today or I am just cranky today ( which I am around all my family right now visiting and they are at each others throats so that doesn't help). Sigh, and I have to wait two months to see their nutrionist because they are all booked up. Blahhhh day :(

Iit is a for sure frustrating process with lots of ups and downs. I am 5 1/2 months into my dietary appointments and have yet to see an actual surgeon! I think that you are doing the right thing getting all the information neccessary to make the right choice for you.

For me I feel like since the LB doesn't alter me physically, it is the right place for me to start. If something goes wrong or it doesn't agree with me physiologically it can be removed and then we will see what there is to see at that point.

Good Luck! You are in the right place to air these concerns!

I would speak to the surgeon, not the nurse, about your NSAID use and the band. I know she was only trying to help but the fact is she's not a bariatric surgeon. Go with what your surgeon says, not the nurse.

For the record, I take 800mg of Ibuprofen very regularly. My surgeon was aware of this before surgery. He was also aware of the fact I've taken it for years. It's never caused a problem with my stomach or the band.

I have chronic back pain. I didn't find out until AFTER surgery that I could no longer take ibuprofen or aspirin. They said Tylenol or nothing. Well, for me, Tylenol is LIKE nothing. I have mourned the loss of ibuprofen and aspirin more than I have mourned the loss of food!

My surgeon has said nothin about not taking ibuprofen. Actually he told me to take it for some pain I was having.

I have actually been told to lay off of Advil and ibuprofen because it was making me sick, but then I was diagnosed with gallstones so that might have been the pain and the nausea for months. Have just been taking meloxicam for my knees and man, still have pain so bad when the weather changes that I am in tears. I know when rain is coming before the weather men. I have dislocated my knees at least 4 times,(I think it might be up to 5 now but it all melds together after awhile). I can't imagine not taking something for the inflammation, but I don't want to hurt my stomach or band when and if I get it. Being on my feet at work for sometimes 9 hours at a time just doesn't make me want to "tough" it out on those bad days. ::sigh:: The surgeon I have picked does like to do sleeves more than bands from the feeling I got in the seminar, but he totally respects the band and actually says if I want kids (which I am at about a 70% negative on that) the band is the way to go. It is just disconcerting to go in on one path and totally liking that path, not really entertaining the thoughts of other paths and then poof! Lookie Lookie here, look at these other options! And then just getting confused. Anywho... It is looking like next year will be the closest I can get the surgery anyways after all my appointments (and my crazy schedule at work, compounded with vacations and weddings of friends) so I know I have time to research and change my mind a bizzillion times. (just I really like this forum... They don't seem as cool as you guys here :: pout::)

Sigh, and I have to wait two months to see their nutrionist because they are all booked up.

I would find another Dr to visit. I actually spoke with 3 on the phone and 2 in person before I made my mind up who to use

NSAIDS and such arent a joke with the band - I got a stomach ulcer just from taking Iron tablets. They sit in the pouch and burn holes in you!

it really is worth thinking about the sleeve if you are dependent on such medication.

If you decide the band is for you, what you CAN do if you must take them is take nexium at the same time to protect your stomach.