Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im So Scared Lap Band Won't Work For Me!

Normally when I diet I lose well.....I am 6 weeks post op...no fills but eating like I'm filled. I have tops a thousand calories a day and havent lost but 2 pds since my post op appt 4 weeks ago. I'm dieting hard and can't figure out why I'm not losing when without a band I would be!

I would urge you to keep a food diary and activity log or use fitnesspal (phone app) to log those. Sometimes we think we are taking in much less than we are. Are you measuring your portions? Also, are you drinking juice or high sugar drinks? A lot of people don't realize the liquid calories they are intaking. While you may feel you are taking in <1000 calories, the food diary may help to ensure you are (and measuring your food and activities).

Good luck to you. I know we all will have those plateaus and they do pass but definitely frustrating in the interim.

One, I think you are still healing.give it a couple more weeks.two, you are eating 1000 cal of what?? Protein and veggies.Or High carb slider foods.?? DEFINATELY get My fitness Pal and track what you eat.make sure you're getting in 50-70 gms of Protein a day.good luck to you:-)

You are still healing dont worry too much about it stress will keep the weight on. Its not always fast for everyone. It took me 3 years to lose 130 pounds, I will say I wasn't a strict dieter or exersizer either. My food chooices were sensible with occasional treats still are and my main exersize is walking. It does work! Just take a look at the before and after pix of people on here. Its a journey.

Thank you everyone! I do use my fitness tracker......i always have left over calories and usually 0 fat. If I dont get all my Protein I drink a Protein Shake to get to goal. I eat alot of soft foods still just cuz I'm scared of gaining. Breakfast 1 cup plain oatmeal.....lunch 1 cup cottage cheese.....dinner 1 cup ff refried Beans with ff cheese....no snacks....at least 1liter Water daily.....no other drinks except plain coffee in the morning. Protein shake and sugar free popsicle on occasion.

It been a long tme sinI was banded but if you are to solids its actually better to eat them you stay full longer and eat less calories in general. Our bodies need nutrition and good nutrition even more now than before. I know it sounds lecturey but its not meant to be.GO FIRST FILL!!!! WOOOT!!

Actually I think u maybe correct! I was thinking about calories but not really paying attention to what my body needs now! Think I may grill some chicken tonight! :) Thank you so much!

First, please fill out your profile so we can advise you better?

How much have you lost since surgery?

Many of us, including me, lost very little till our first fill. I lost 12 lbs the two weeks post op and then nothing for 3.5 months.

I would also advise you to speak to your nutritionist when you get your fill.

tmf

I agree with 2muchfun...I lost only a pound or two the month following surgery, even following all the rules. My nutritionist questioned whether I was eating right and exercising (I was). But one day my body seemed to just decide to stop fighting it and the weight started coming off steadily. You have to be patient the first few months, but you'll see results, I promise.

I lost maybe 20 pounds my first year! The second year was when it came off, ironically after I decided to ask for a small unfill .25. I felt I wasn't eating enough at that point. I'm at 5.25 in a 10. It is so varied for everyone and I do attribute some of mine to just plain luck that my band was placed PERFECTLY for me and my body.

Take measurements too!! I went from a size 7 jean to a size 2 without losing an ounce. Sometimes it reflects in inches not pounds. Good luck PEACEANDHUGGLES

I lost maybe 20 pounds my first year! The second year was when it came off' date=' ironically after I decided to ask for a small unfill .25. I felt I wasn't eating enough at that point. I'm at 5.25 in a 10. It is so varied for everyone and I do attribute some of mine to just plain luck that my band was placed PERFECTLY for me and my body.

Take measurements too!! I went from a size 7 jean to a size 2 without losing an ounce. Sometimes it reflects in inches not pounds. Good luck PEACEANDHUGGLES[/quote']

Wow a 7 to a size 2 without weight lose thats great! Thanks very inspiring!

First' date=' please fill out your profile so we can advise you better?

How much have you lost since surgery?

Many of us, including me, lost very little till our first fill. I lost 12 lbs the two weeks post op and then nothing for 3.5 months.

I would also advise you to speak to your nutritionist when you get your fill.

tmf[/quote']

I prob need to get on an actual computer not sure how to do a profile on my phone....I will try tonight. Weighed 253 on surgery day July 12th lost 17 pds by post op appt two weeks later.....now 6 weeks later I'm at 234....19 pds total. I get,my first fill the 22nd

Sounds like alot of people are in my boat in the beginning! :)

I wasn't losing much at first, either. As hard as it was, I upped my intake by about 150 calories per day and started the scales moving.....slowly. My first fill did nothing. The second fill made getting my 1350 calories a bit of a challenge and now the scales are really moving. I try to never eat fewer calories than 1350 and no more than 1500. I used my fitness pal to arrive at those numbers. They are a lot better than the arbitrary 1200 calories that I had selected before hand. I think there is a reason why there is a big-ol-long calculation used to estimate our calorie needs. I think the reason is that we are all different sizes and weights, have different ideas about how fast we would like to lose and also different levels of activity. Toss in the fact that we all have different metabolisms and you start to realize why different things work for different people. Try experimenting with fat/protein/carb ratios, B Vitamins, eliminating late night Snacks, eating 4 small meals, 3 small meals, snacks, no snacks... If you keep a record you will quickly learn what works and what doesn't work! Wish I had just one answer for you... Best of luck! You will get it figured out before long.

I wasn't losing much at first' date=' either. As hard as it was, I upped my intake by about 150 calories per day and started the scales moving.....slowly. My first fill did nothing. The second fill made getting my 1350 calories a bit of a challenge and now the scales are really moving. I try to never eat fewer calories than 1350 and no more than 1500. I used my fitness pal to arrive at those numbers. They are a lot better than the arbitrary 1200 calories that I had selected before hand. I think there is a reason why there is a big-ol-long calculation used to estimate our calorie needs. I think the reason is that we are all different sizes and weights, have different ideas about how fast we would like to lose and also different levels of activity. Toss in the fact that we all have different metabolisms and you start to realize why different things work for different people. Try experimenting with fat/protein/carb ratios, B Vitamins, eliminating late night Snacks, eating 4 small meals, 3 small meals, Snacks, no snacks... If you keep a record you will quickly learn what works and what doesn't work! Wish I had just one answer for you... Best of luck! You will get it figured out before long.[/quote']

Thank u! I agree I use fitness pal but dont use recommended values it provides daily...My thought is less is better but apparently I'm wrong! Think I will try using fitness pals recommended daily values!