Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying To Keep It Together

I was in the grocery store buying all my stuff for my pre-op diet and the cashier said "bet yor statring a diet"? I explained that I was having lap-band and she proceeded to tell me not to do it. She said I had RNY and it's so much better and her best friend got lap-band and only lost 40 lbs, gained it all back, hates her band and wishes she would have got the RNY. I finnished cashing out and when I got to my car I just wanted to cry, I went into the store with such a positive attitude and she crushed it in a mattter of minutes. When I got home I told my husband what happened and he said" she doesn't know you and she doesn't know you strenght and willpower DON'T let her get you down your are doing what feels right to you." He was right so I picked my self back up and I am trying to get back in the right frame of mind but I still have that bit of doubt. My surgery is Aug 28th and I start my pre-op diet on the 19th. I started this journey in April> Through this whole thing I never questioned what procedure to have untill now.

short and sweet

sure the bypass will help you lose weight (faster sometimes)

and so can the band.

news flash---anyone with any WLS can gain their weight back if they start overeating the wrong foods again.

(its up to the person with the band to do the hard work, you know eat right, eat the 1 cup required food and excercise).

some people dont have manners.

i hear that alot too. but you know what, i made the decision to make myself well.

haters gonna hate regardless.

seems to me, people who dont know sh** about the band

or understand it have the most neg nellies comments.

do this for you and be successful

you already are in my book :)

It's great you have such a supportive husband! You need to do your research & decide what is best for you. I am almost a year out & 100 lbs down. It has been a wonderful experience on all levels.

However, the only people who know I had surgery are my sisters & my therapy group. I've lost this much twice before the band & I had people gossiping that I had wls then. So, for me, I just don't talk about it & say I've changed my eating & exercise habits & am working hard. All of which is true.

To make a life long change you must put you first & make your health your priority. As long as you have a good dr & follow the rules 90+ % of the time you should be feeling great & looking great before you know it. All the best!

That is so frustrating when people want to impose their viewpoints on others; especially a negative one. I am so glad your husband is supportive and was able to remind you that this is your decision and you came to it for your own reasons. Any surgery has its success stories and failures.

Personally, my mother had RNY. Sure she lost most of the weight (and very quickly) but she is not a healthy person and actually has regretted doing it many times because of the malabsorption issues and health issues she has today. That made my decision very easy. I am sure several people have been successful and happy from the RNY but I had my personal reasons of choosing the path I chose.

As long as you have done your homework and feel comfortable with the choice you made, only you can make that decision. Don't let one unsolicited opinion sway you as you don't know their circumstances and they don't know yours.

Kudos again to having a very supportive husband! That alone will be a great added bonus to being successful!

It doesn't matter which WLS surgery you opt for, unless you change your eating habits for a lifetime you won't be successful.

I have two friends that had RNY within a month of me. One lost about about 60 pounds in the first couple months then stopped losing. The other has only lost about 20 pounds. Neither of them bothered to change their eating habits so neither of them have been successful.

Ironically, both of them came down on me rather hard, telling me how foolish I was for not getting the RNY like them. I've lost 129 pounds with the Lap Band. Needless to say, neither have a bad thing to say to me about it anymore ;)

Don't let the ignorant idiots change your mind or scare you. You do what you know is best for you.

You need to be able to have a higher level of confidence in your own decisions. Other people, especially cashiers at the store have no clue as to your motivations for WLS, or any of the medical conditions which contributed to your decision to have the band placed.

Others you may encounter along the way are not qualified to render medical decisions, period. I'm also happy for you that you have a supportive husband who understands this.

Get back in touch with your initial reasons for why you chose to have band surgery, and let them be your guide. If you have genuine doubt about proceeding with your surgery, then postpone it until you are sure and have done some additional research.

I rarely mention that I have had WLS, and am always polite when I hear negative feedback from others. I simply ask them to list their medical credentials for me with a smile. That usually gets the point across...they are not qualified to give an opinion.

Best wishes as you begin your journey...

Don't let a strangers criticism/advice derail you. If it was someone that you knew their opinion may hold value. But the cashier at the local grocery store? I wouldn't take it to heart. Try to put it in perspective - if they offered you advice about something else, would you take it? That is a situation where you smile, nod along, and walk away. It sounds like you have a great support teammate in your husband. Stick with him ;)

What everyone else has said.

Just wanted to say, how dare her say anything "looks like you're starting a diet". I would have been a smart @#$ and said no, why do you think that?

Also my son-in-laws are store managers, if they heard that conversation she would have been called out.

My sister had GB and she lost a lot of weight quickly and she's now gained most of it back.

Best wishes on whatever you decide!

How dare her!!!!!

GB meaning Gastric Bypass

As a previous poster said...."Haters gonna hate." You are already a success because you have chosen to take control of your health and do something about it. It was a hell of a lot easier for us to put on our weight than it will be to take it off and we are moving in the right direction...no matter what sort of procedure we are having. I once told myself I would NEVER have any kind of weight loss surgery because that would be "cheating". It took some research for me to realize that the lap band is a tool. It is a tool you use and, just like any other tool, if you do not use it correctly, you will fail. I once had a state of the art treadmill with all the bells and whistles on it. We ended up hanging coats on it.

I firmly believe that if I am able to do this, ANYONE can do it. I have the worst willpower on the planet and have always taken the easy way out. Time to put on my big girl pants(no pun intended) and get to work.

Good luck and don't let anyone bring you down.

GOD bless!

I too am at peace with my decision and am chosing to only tell my supportive family. I've been successful presurgery. I'm excited to see what the next step of this journey will bring! Good luck! JugHugs!

short and sweet

sure the bypass will help you lose weight (faster sometimes)

and so can the band.

news flash---anyone with any WLS can gain their weight back if they start overeating the wrong foods again.

(its up to the person with the band to do the hard work, you know eat right, eat the 1 cup required food and excercise).

some people dont have manners.

i hear that alot too. but you know what, i made the decision to make myself well.

haters gonna hate regardless.

seems to me, people who dont know sh** about the band

or understand it have the most neg nellies comments.

do this for you and be successful

you already are in my book :)

Yes, YES!!! This, all of it!! Well said Carolinagirl!!

I was in the grocery store buying all my stuff for my pre-op diet and the cashier said "bet yor statring a diet"? I explained that I was having lap-band and she proceeded to tell me not to do it. She said I had RNY and it's so much better and her best friend got lap-band and only lost 40 lbs, gained it all back, hates her band and wishes she would have got the RNY. I finnished cashing out and when I got to my car I just wanted to cry, I went into the store with such a positive attitude and she crushed it in a mattter of minutes. When I got home I told my husband what happened and he said" she doesn't know you and she doesn't know you strenght and willpower DON'T let her get you down your are doing what feels right to you." He was right so I picked my self back up and I am trying to get back in the right frame of mind but I still have that bit of doubt. My surgery is Aug 28th and I start my pre-op diet on the 19th. I started this journey in April> Through this whole thing I never questioned what procedure to have untill now.

Where is she ? I want to take my size 26+ clothes into her and show her what I look like 21 months post op in my size 10 jeans.

why do people feel that they have the right to impose their opinions when unsolicited .....drives me crazy

Vent over....please carry on. ;)

People always have something to say. I was in the surgeon office and this lady was saying she prayed that she would die after the bypass, plus she hasn't loss much weight. The other lady she was talking to had been very successful and they had surgery days apart. Basically that let you know it depends on the person. My initial wls that I wanted was lapband but after research I think the sleeve will be better for me. I'm in the process now, seeing nutrition, psych, supervised diet, and pulmonary test than approval from insurance. So I'm getting closer. Good luck to you and do what your heart desire if you believe you will be successful with the lap band than you will be successful.

I took my que on who i could tell about wls by how the important people in my life took the news. My mother was immediately cautionary about it but i can't blame her since im her sweet little girl who she will love no matter what. Aside from that i only told people that have bothered to keep up with me. I work in a very close-knit environment where sometimes it feels just like high school. I hated being gossiped about then and the thought of coworkers doing it now makes me see red. I don't care if they guess later but i certainly am not looking to bring them into my circle of trust any time soon. I will take it one step further to say that not even my partner will know unless its absolutely necessary.