Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Yrs. Later My Surgeon Says He "doesn't Believe In Lap Band"

Anyone else have this happen to them? I've had a ton of problems with my band from being overfilled. Every time my doc "over" filled me I told him I could tell it was too tight. Needless to say I had 3 emergency unfills. Last Feb.2012 he took all the saline out except for 2cc. and told me to go on a diet...are you kidding me???? I was self pay and after paying him over $14,000 of my hard earned cash he says go on a diet? So, I gained about 30lbs. (but I do feel good cuz I can eat without throwing up) I went back asking for a small fill and he told me he thought I had a slip and needed an upper G.I. (once again I paid for it by myself). Went back after the upper G.I. with normal results....nothing wrong with the band, port or my stomach. Doc told me AGAIN to go on a diet (a metabolic diet) because he didn't believe in the lap band anymore.....Seriously, this is no joke. So what now? I'd like to find a new bariatric doc but most don't want to take on another doctors patient. Any suggestions?????

Honestly, if you don't like your doctor, find another.

But think about something. Is it that horrible that he said the "D" word?

Lapband is a tool. (I know, we've heard that phrase ad nausium, but it's really true). We still have to watch what we eat, we still have to follow the rules. If we spend all day eating eating refried Beans and washing them down with margaritas (great food for the band, but terrible for the diet), then the band will be a waste.

In other words, the reality is we still need to live on a diet. We didn't get fat because of our will power, or because we had good eating habits. The band assist us in our portion sizes, but it doesn't tell us what to eat. A diet tells us that.

Some doctors don't like lapband... even some that used to do them regularly. I know the surgeon who repaired my hernia 2 months ago was very non-lapband friendly (he made it clear that the lapband surgery was the cause of my hernia, and in his opinion it was a bad surgery).

Like I said, if you don't like your surgeon, get another one... but if you don't like the word diet, then that's a personal problem that you have to deal with.

Find a new doc! Maybe easier said than done, but you need a doctor on your side as part of your team. A good doctor really does make the difference.

You need to find a new doctor immediately. The fact he's repeatedly over-filled you, even when you told him you felt over-filled, is horrible. His obvious negligence has put you at very real risk repeatedly. Now, he's essentially leaving you out to dry because he beliefs changes due to his own ignorance.

You deserve so much better than this. Please, find a doc with a clue and a heart. Your current one obviously lacks both.

Thanks for the replies. To stevegoad, I have no problem with diets...I actually eat a pretty healthy one. I am quite pissed that my doctor had no problem taking my money (and a lot of it), not listening to me even after telling me "you must know your own body" and having me get an expensive test (upper G.I.) While there is nothing wrong with my lap band he still won't give me a fill because "he doesn't believe in the lap band" anymore. Well, I do! And I suppose most of the people here do also, otherwise none of us would have gone through the surgery. It is not magic. It is a tool. But even though I have the tool implanted in my body, my doctor will not give me a little hand (or fill) to help the tool work. The metabolic plan he wants me to go on (at a mere cost of $250 for 10 group sessions) is based on Live To Eat by Dr. Fuhrman if anyone would like to check it out. Not for me!

Thanks for the replies. To stevegoad, I have no problem with diets...I actually eat a pretty healthy one. I am quite pissed that my doctor had no problem taking my money (and a lot of it), not listening to me even after telling me "you must know your own body" and having me get an expensive test (upper G.I.) While there is nothing wrong with my lap band he still won't give me a fill because "he doesn't believe in the lap band" anymore. Well, I do! And I suppose most of the people here do also, otherwise none of us would have gone through the surgery. It is not magic. It is a tool. But even though I have the tool implanted in my body, my doctor will not give me a little hand (or fill) to help the tool work. The metabolic plan he wants me to go on (at a mere cost of $250 for 10 group sessions) is based on Live To Eat by Dr. Fuhrman if anyone would like to check it out. Not for me!

I don't blame you. You paid good money there is nothing wrong with the band and now that he has your funds he won't give you a fill and most likely because he doesn't know HOW to give you a proper fill. Inexperienced and got into this field to take the money and run. There are lots of doctors who will take you on, just keep looking.

Stevegoad: as much as this is a tool, its no help (and actually hinders weight loss) when overfilled. In a normal situation I would agree withh you but this doc seems insane

To the origional poster: u MUST find a new doc! Start by googling hospitals with bariatric docs affiliated with them and call them one by one until u find someone willing to take a new patient

I would write the doctor a letter expressing your concerns and feelings. Then I would send a copy to your County Medical Association Peer Review Committee. The guy is letting his personal not his professional feelilngs get in his way. He needs retraining especially in the sensitivty dept. It can take a year or two get the band to good restriction. You are not getting what you paid for. Document everthing that has happened and possibly consult an attorney. I know this may sound harsh, but spending $14,000 and not getting what you paid for in follow up care, is malpractice in my opinion. Good luck.

I would write the doctor a letter expressing your concerns and feelings. Then I would send a copy to your County Medical Association Peer Review Committee. The guy is letting his personal not his professional feelilngs get in his way. He needs retraining especially in the sensitivty dept. It can take a year or two get the band to good restriction. You are not getting what you paid for. Document everthing that has happened and possibly consult an attorney. I know this may sound harsh' date=' but spending 14,000 and not getting what you paid for in follow up care, is malpractice in my opinion. Good luck.[/quote']

I agree. It is malpractice

The "tool" only works properly when it is properly adjusted. I'm so glad you are finding a new doc.

I don't think a malpractice claim would pay off. It is very hard to prove and would just cost more money. I just hope you get your band adjusted properly and get the results going in the right direction.