Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

I have been around this site for the last 8 months. I read most of the posts every day. Today is my 6 month bandaversary so I figured I owed a post.

January 1st of this year I weighed 330 pounds. I am now 215. So I have lost a total of 115 pounds. By the time I got to surgery on Feb. 15th I was down to 305. I was going to the gym daily…getting ready for my new lifestyle.

Being Canadian, the process is very much different as there is no out of pocket expense and no insurance approval, but a 5 year waiting list. Getting the call to start the process is like winning the lottery. I had my choice of surgery so I picked the lap band because I did not want to cut any part of me out.

Going through the doctors meetings, psych exam etc.. is pretty much the same as with what I read in other posts. I had to follow a 2 week diet with bars and shakes provided (at a cost) before surgery. After surgery was 2 weeks liquid and 2 week mushy diet.

The day of the surgery went great. Went in the AM and left late in the afternoon. It was my First time under anesthesia so was a bit nervous. Walked around the house a lot for a few days after but things got better. On day 6 I was back to the gym, treadmill to start and every day after challenged myself more.

I’ve had 2 fills for a total of 3 ml in a 14 ml band. You do 2 days liquid diet and 2 day mushy after every fill. I am scheduled for my next appointment in September.

All this to say that weight loss with the band is possible. There are bumps in the road but you have to face life as you did in the past, one day at a time. I read on here, I believe, about how the lapband is a tool for success. And how it is the third tool in success: number one is your mind-Be accountable for what you are consuming and follow the simple diet. Number 2 is exercise- I am at the Gym daily, cardio and weights, I can now run 10K and go for a 20K bike rides. Number 3 tool for success is the band. That is the recipe for success!

Congrats! I hope to soon be banded and have the same success! Good Luck on your journey!

Wonderful success story .. thank you so much for sharing and congratulations on your weight loss!!!

Thanks for sharing your inspirational success story...it does have a positive impact on others.

Best wishes for your continuing success...

What province are you in? I had to pay completly out of pocket! The only good news is my Husband's insurance company has agreed to pay $2000 out of his health spending acount as part of his medical benefits!

Congratulations and what an inspiration bro !!!,

Thanks for sharing your journey. I myself am having my very first fill tomorrow and I'm really hoping this will kick me back into gear, as I have been getting very sloppy with what I eat right now. They call it bandster's hell and I really understand why now. Did you go through something like that as well?

And I'm sorry to abuse your topic but since you're a guy like me that is working out every day, how many calories do you consume daily??

What province are you in? I am in Ontario and paying $16,000..........OHIP or health insurance covers nothing. The most I can hope for is a tax refund.

I am from New-Brunswick. There is no cost if you meet all the criteria they have set.

I do feel like I am on a diet. That is what I meant by being accountable of what I eat. I usually have between 1000 and 1200 calories a day.

OHIP doesn't cover lapband because it is reversable, they consider it cosmetic. They do bypass but there is a pretty long wait for that.

I am in Ontario and will be paying $16,000. out of pocket. Still, I am worth it!

I am in Ontario and will be paying 16' date='000. out of pocket. Still, I am worth it![/quote']

YES YOU ARE !!

What province are you in? I am in Ontario and paying $16,000..........OHIP or health insurance covers nothing. The most I can hope for is a tax refund.

My husband is checking with his health ins.co. but I am not holding my breath. Would be nice if they paid a little towards the surgery but I doubt it. OHIP has to get into this century and realize how much cheaper it will be in the long run to pay for lap band rather than gastric bypass.

I called my insurance about paying something towards surgery and nothing. OHIP considers it cosmetic. Even if there was a 50/50 copay so people were serious. I hope to get a bit back from income tax but that is about that. Having said that, can't put a price on my life.

Congrats on your success, I know that there will be more to come. You are an inspiration to so many, keep on keeping on.