Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Making Dinner For The Family After Being Banded

As my surgery date grows closer (2 days) and I will be on a liquid diet tomorrow, I can't help but feel a little overwhelmed about feeding my family over the next 6 weeks since I will be so restricted. I am a stay at home Mom so meals are usually prepared by me. My family is so supportive and will fend for themselves but it's just an obligation I feel to do for them. It's not like I think I will "slip" but out of sight out of mind. Anyone else out there struggle mentally with that and if so how did you compromise to get use to life with the band and family meal planning?? It seems a little silly to me but it's what's going through my mind tonight among so many other things pre surgery.....

My husband cooked for 4 weeks. I didn't like it and god I felt bad for my 7 year old because in 10 years this is the first time dad has cooked.. but I made up for family time at the table with going on walks with him in the evenings while he rides his bike....he couldn't tell you what he ate for dinner last night but he talks to everyone about what he saw on our little walks together late at night :)

As my surgery date grows closer (2 days) and I will be on a liquid diet tomorrow, I can't help but feel a little overwhelmed about feeding my family over the next 6 weeks since I will be so restricted. I am a stay at home Mom so meals are usually prepared by me. My family is so supportive and will fend for themselves but it's just an obligation I feel to do for them. It's not like I think I will "slip" but out of sight out of mind. Anyone else out there struggle mentally with that and if so how did you compromise to get use to life with the band and family meal planning?? It seems a little silly to me but it's what's going through my mind tonight among so many other things pre surgery.....

Roxy, your first obligation to your family is to get healthy so you can make meals for them for many years to come. They can fend for themselves for a few weeks. This time needs to be for you. They love you and they'll understand.

It is hard, but they love you, so they will understand. Best wishes. Karen

I cooked things they liked that I really didn't so much. Also I drank my Protein Shake well I was cooking, I was full. I also made stuff before hand and froze it. I had my friends take turns making dinner when I was just home from surgery for the first week. Kids enjoy it, friend lived to be useful and to help in someway. I won't let any of my favorite foods in house during liquid phase. Good luck. You can all do it as a family.

I am in the same boat. I an already planning ahead buying those Soups in a cup for myself and I will begin to make meals too freeze the month before. I'm just making double and freeze half

Thank you all for your replies! My Hubby and I talked tonight and he said he would take care of the food and just to worry about myself. It's crazy how something so minor can effect your thoughts pre surgery. I'm sure there will be many more post surgery but I'm up for the challenge!!

I am in the same boat. I an already planning ahead buying those Soups in a cup for myself and I will begin to make meals too freeze the month before. I'm just making double and freeze half

Great idea!

Great idea!

Its great he is being supportive of you! Take advantage of his willingness to cook for awhile. You won't feel like it at first. Best wises to you and your family!

I cooked things they liked that I really didn't so much. Also I drank my Protein shake well I was cooking, I was full. I also made stuff before hand and froze it. I had my friends take turns making dinner when I was just home from surgery for the first week. Kids enjoy it, friend lived to be useful and to help in someway. I won't let any of my favorite foods in house during liquid phase. Good luck. You can all do it as a family.

This is really great advice. I am the chief cook and bottle washer at my house and, probably like many others, like(d) to sample along the way. Shortly after surgery (5/21/12) I made the mistake of taking a bite of my daughter's steak sandwich and, of course, got stuck. After that I did what Suzbuni said - prepare things they like but I don't. It's better now but I still want some of the fries the others have with their burgers. On burger night I make mine with a slice of onion in the middle and a slice of Tomato and cheese on top. Guess what? Nobody else here likes onions or tomatoes so I feel like I've gotten a treat.

Good luck Roxygirl, I'm sure you'll do great.

When I am on liquids only I actually enjoy cooking for others. It keeps me busy so I'm not bored and wanting to eat, and in some weird way the aromas help satisfy my hunger. Occasionally if I need to taste what I'm cooking to make sure the seasonings are right, I chew a little up and spit it into the sink. My family always feels bad about eating what I cooked when I cannot eat, but I try to tell them it actually helps me! I'm sure this is not the case for everyone, but it works for me!

Right after surgery, when you can't eat solids, it's hard. I didn't cook. And when I had to prepare my kids Breakfast and lunch, I made things with little to no smell (Cereal, sandwiches, etc). Husband popped popcorn about 4 days post op and I thought I was gonna kill him lol.

As for further out, I make the same things for the family as myself but eat smaller portions. My family is eating healthier now because I am. Less bread and Pasta (tho I do still eat it in moderation). More Protein and vegetables. They just eat a bigger portion. And for things like sandwiches, I have low cal bread but my kids have regular whole wheat bread. I have low fat cheese sticks, they have regular ones. (they are very thin and can use the extra fat) etc etc.

As for further out' date=' I make the same things for the family as myself but eat smaller portions. My family is eating healthier now because I am. Less bread and Pasta (tho I do still eat it in moderation). More Protein and vegetables. They just eat a bigger portion. And for things like sandwiches, I have low cal bread but my kids have regular whole wheat bread. I have low fat cheese sticks, they have regular ones. (they are very thin and can use the extra fat) etc etc.[/quote']

I do the same. I cook for everyone, I just eat band size portions. And dinners are better choices now. Lol. When I'm on liquids my husband takes my step-daughter out for dinner. It gives them daddy/daughter time & they can eat whatever their hearts desire.