Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet - A dirty word?

I recently saw a discussion in a thread about our attitudes toward the journey we are now on with our bands. Some agree that "dieting" is essential with the band, while others maintain that they didn't pay this much money and go through surgery just to diet again. Some call our eating changes a "new lifestyle" while others need the term "diet" to remind them that they need to be making good choices.

I believe that we are all talking the same language and here's why:

From food and drink regularly provided or consumed b : habitual nourishment c : the kind and amount of food prescribed for a person or animal for a special reason

Our daily intake of food and Water IS a diet. We either choose a diet of healthy foods and drinks, or we choose a diet of foods and drinks which provide very little nutrition and cause our bodies to be out of kilter, i.e. fat storage, liver problems, diabetes, heart disease, aching joints, etc.

Society has taken the word "diet" and made it into a dirty word. It in no way implies deprivation, rather the opposite - habitual nourishment. We all have diets. And the fact is, that we are all faced with the task of choosing foods and drinks that make up a healthy diet in order for us to BE healthy.

The silicone fist, so aptly dubbed by Jack, does not convert unhealthy foods into healthy foods. It is designed to limit the quantity of food that we can take in at one time. And, as many of you know, there are plenty of unhealthy foods that can be eaten in greater quantities because they slip right through that fist so easily. It seems that yet again we are faced with the truth that the unhealthy foods in life are the easiest to eat (and perhaps to some, more enjoyable), while the healthy foods are those which take time to prepare, chew and digest.

So, like it or not.. we still have choices to make. And I think that is a good thing! As many have noted here, I prefer to be in control. *grins*

Bon Appetit Everyone!

I think you are so right. The band is a lifestyle changing aid. You can have a band and still eat a gallon of premium ice cream everyday, as long as you took your time! Why pay all this money and NOT make changes? You are throwing your hard earned money away and your chance to be healthier if you don't make changes.

My main thing that I was hoping for was.... to not care about food period.

Maybe that was a misconception I had about the band but I took the phen fen pills in the late 90's and I just didn't care... I could get an order of french fries or a small bag of carrots and neither was better then the other.

Does that make sense? Back then I had very little interest in food at all because I was always "repeat" always full and slightly nausus. I actually loved it. That felt like control over my hunger like I could actually make good choices and not be punished because I was fat and liked food!

I know now that the band and phen fen aren't even close to the same feeling of fullness.

I had false expection that the band would be like that and Magically I'd make better choices.

Cashley, you've only been banded a little over a month. Have you had a fill yet? If so, maybe you'll need a bit more for that really good restriction that keeps you feeling full longer. I think what you are hoping for is possible, but it might take a little time to find that "sweet spot" with your band. Hang in there girl. It will happen. *hugs*

Well I see others on here who talk about still making bad choices. That's what I was really referring too.

I can tell now that the felling of fullness (even filled) is not the same as it was then. The sad part to me is that you still really need to "diet" in the form of healthy sensible choices.

It not like chocolate or Cookie Dough or Crap Carbs suddenly turn your stomach, the bad news is they go though the band easly so if you don't make good choices then you are still screwed.

On the other hand if you make good choices the band will help a lot to make a person full. I'm sure this will work for me but my response to this thread is sadly it won't be "diet" free. Since I am the kind of person that needs strict "diet" guidelines to make the right choices. Bad choices got me into this situation and I was hoping to take some of my "mind" off of that.

Don't get me wrong I think the band is "GREAT" but as Dr. Phil said I need to get right with my emotional need for food too.