Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A few questions 5 days pre-banding

Hi ya'll,

Hope some of you experienced folks can answer a question for me.

I am worried that I will be very hungry after banding. In the past, the only thing that controlled my hunger was to eliminate carbs, especially white carbs. Lost 50 lbs on Atkins, but, of course!, gained it back and more.

I'm thinking that as I get onto muchies and soft foods, if I concentrate on eating Protein, I won't get too hungry.

Is this wishful thinking?

Thanks for any insights.

I'm getting really excited, except I'm eating like a pig this last week, you know, getting all those "last suppers" in.

Pam

:hungry: I have heard from several people that they had no hunger after the band. I, on the other hand, was starving. I was sick with hunger. My doc let me have Protein shakes and milk right away, but I couldn't seem to get them in the hospital. I finally got milk.

I bought a tasteless Protein powder that can be added to anything. It is called unjury and I got it off the internet. It is a bit pricey, but if your doc restricts you to Clear liquids the first couple of weeks, it could really help with your hunger if you add it to broth, etc. One scoop has 20 grams of Protein. I add it to my slim fast shake in the morning. There are other products out there, too. Honestly, I think I would have died without the shakes and milk. My hunger pains would wake we out of a narcotic sleep!

The 2 day fast prior to surgery will help a lot with reducing your hunger for a while. Once your body heals, the hunger will mostly be emotional/psychological. Contrary to the love affair on the this board with Protein, protein doesn't cure this. Gut check time. The band is a tool, not a cure. Make sure you come to terms with that before the procedure.

good luck on your procedure. I haven't been banded yet so I can't give you a whole lot of advice

Heyas Pam - Its not uncommon to feel hungry in the first six weeks, prior to your first fill. You wont have much restriction other than the swelling, which goes down in a few weeks. It might even take a few fills to find just the right restriction for you but when you do find it you shouldnt be hungry between meals, which will be about every four hours. I hope that helps.

Good luck with your surgery. Let us know when you get home and how it all went!

Have I missed a post from Pam saying she's banded? Wasn't she scheduled for the 24th?

Hey Pam - hope everything went well for you and that you're recovering nicely! And um.. are you hungry? I bet not! *grins*

Let us hear from you when you can. And remember.. rest a lot, walk as much as you can, and keep sipping that water!

well, I am a little hungry but too bad! right? getting a little better every day. lost 5 lbs so far.

Thanks for asking about me.

Pam