Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband Vrs Gastric

I was wondering if people could tell me why they choose the lapband over the gastric bypass ?

I was originally scheduled for Gastric Bypass and canceled. I simply could not justify rerouting my intestines and cutting up my stomach without trying something less drastic first.

I also didn't want to deal with malabsorption and "dumping" forever, either.

The Lap Band is reversible and doesn't change my digestive system, so I decided to get the band.

Thank you , I have been doing a lot of research and I feel for the most part the lapband is the best for me. But I also just want to make sure its the right option for me.

You're very smart for doing your research and being positive about your decision. No matter which WLS you choose it's sure to change your life forever. I think it's very wise of you to be asking questions and finding out all the facts.

Best wishes in whatever you choose :)

I chose the lap band for the same reasons as Mis73.here is a great chart comparing band bypass and sleeve.I found this very helpful and pretty unbiased.Good luck to you !

Weight loss surgery site for info

http://www.trueresul...-loss-surgeries

I liked the idea of the "adjustable band" I have a good friend who had gastric and she had many complications that continue till this day. She regrets it and always tells me she wish she had gotten lap band

I choose lapband because I have three young kids and could not be "off" for the recovery period needed for gastric. I also didn't have any co morbidities. I didn't want to change my body permently. However gastric bypass has some advantages too. My sister had gastric bypass 3 months before my surgery date. She had more to lose then I did. Her kids are older and she was able to take month off after surgery. There are is no real long term follow up needed with gastric by pass( as compare to lapband)Once done, it's done. - again that was also part of my reason for choice lapband. Could be good or bad. Had seen people i knew who had gastric years ago that looked sick from mal nuturtion. With band you need to do regular follow up, adjustments fills, unfills and still watch what you eat, chew chew chew. Things can get stuck more then with by pass. My sister has to get monthly B12 injections, and Needs to make sure she takes all her vitimans everyday because of malabsorption. She cant really eat any sugar or has dumping syndrome. But she has less hunger then me. She fills full faster- full in band terms is different. Different feeling then being satisfied. My sister lost weight faster 120 lbs in 9 months. In beginning she had a really hard time getting enough to eat - what she need because she just could eat enough. I'm down 65 in almost 8 months. Both of us had issues with Hair loss at around 3-4 months post op. if I had to do over again. I would make same choice. Band works for me. Either way your life is changed forever and you need to take care of yourself and your new lifestyle. There is also the sleeve which is another option. Good luck hope that helped.

The biggest issue I seen with band in the office I go to is, if you don't use it as the tool it is, you won't lose the weight or can gain back. You still have to be responsible and have more choices. You need to be able to make the right ones. Saw a few patient that came back for gastric bypass because their band " didn't work". When I asked them about it as I was still preop and making up my mind. They said it didn't stop them from cheating. They could eat ice cream and candy and weren't losing weight. You need to be able and willing to eat right and try to beat the band. The band works if you use it right. Good luck again.

I hate to admit it but I am going to, if I had known that I could eat the slider foods, chips, ice cream, and feel no restriction I probably would not have gotten the surgery. Those are the foods that made me fat in the first place. Had I known I may have gone with an alternative surgery. But the surgeon got my money and on he goes............

As older and wiser ans recently unbanked, let me add I detail about the band that doesn't seem to be getting mentioned in doctors offices. I had my band about 2 1/2 years, had a lot of issues starting about 6 months out. Was out for the 4th of July weekend, started getting dehydrated, stoma swelled closed, had 2 receive 2 liters of IV fluids because I could swallow sips, spit, anything. Had an unfill but things never were the same again. This summer my band slipped and had to be removed. The plan was removal with conversion to bypass. Once my doc got inside there wa a fairly significant issue with scar tissue and inflammation so he took out the band, closed me up, and sent nt home for 6-12 months to heal before bypass. I have a friend who had the same experience however when she went back a year later, her doc got inside and closed her up and sent her home. He said she has so much scarring from her slip tat she can ever have another WLS.

So, the band is reversible, yes. But often I hear 'if it doesn't work I can have something else done' and that may not completely be true. I'm not anti-band. I went from a 24-26 to a comfortable 16. I look and feel better and am off blood pressure medicines. I couldn't do that on my own! Just remember there are long term risks that aren't really well know yet becaus this surgery hasn't been around all tat long. Also, look into the sleeve, I didn't see it mentioned above but it falls somewhere between a band and a bypass.

Good luck with your decision. I'm thrilled you ar taking it seriously and researching!

Thank you everyone I appreciate all your feedback. I love hearing the different stories and opinions helps my anxiety a lot

I am a quantity eater and my surgeon and I felt this would be the best surgery for me. My sister has Barrett's esophagus and was unable to get the band. I'm glad I chose this. My other sis had gastric about 10 years ago. She's over weight again.

weight.png