Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So Sad For My Daughter :(

I had lapband surgery 11/29/2010 and have been what I consider successful with it. At the time of surgery my oldest daughter was almost 17 and at that time my husband and I gave her the option to start the process to get the lapband as well. At the time she declined and we completely supported her decision. About six months later after seeing my success, she decided to start the process so she would be able to get the band around her 18th birthday. Our insurance requires a six month physician and or dietician supervised diet, phych eval, and blood tests. We chose to go the physician supervised route with her, because that is what I did and it worked. Due to scheduleing conflicts, school trips and doctor on maternity leave, it wasn't six consecutive months, so our insurance denied her. She was so upset and wanted to just give up. I told her we haven't gone this far to give up, we will start the six months over and she will get her band then. The insurance made it clear they would deny an appeal, and that all she needs to do is start her six months over and they will approve it. The only issue with this is that we are taking her 400 miles away for college next Thursday, so I spent literally the whole day on the phone yesterday with the insurance, physicians, and dieticians trying to get someone to take her on. Luckily, I think I got it done. Thank you for taking the time to read my long venting story. I really just needed to get this off my chest while not letting my daughter see my saddness for her. Good luck to everyone!

Will your insurance accept weight watchers for 6 months. Mine did. I did go to my doctor get physical and then showed up at weight watch every week for 6 months. I missed a week or two so sometimes was 10 day between stickers, I just did and extra 2 weeks at end while I was getting all the other pre op done to make sure. . To be honest, I didn't do weight watchers - program-I just weighed in.( had done multiple times in past ) Had my documentation gave to my lapband doctor they copied and sent in to insurance -and was approved. You could try with her nutritionist too. That also would have counted meet once a month for six months. Good luck to her.

I will put your daughter in my prayers. I totally understand, I too had to fight insurance company denials and frusterating hurdles for the past 10 years. I began to think that I was never meant to have the surgery. I recently went to True Results and they got everything set up for me. In their office they took care of the psych eval, the nutritionist appt, the EKG, the pulmonary test blood work, and setting me up with a good doctor close to my home. I think their was a reason for me to have to wait so long, there were a few things I needed to work on and change in my life before having surgery. College is not an easy place to be when trying to be on a restricted diet, many experiences and relationship us and downs can occur during those years. May she be happy and enjoy her college experience, with or without lap band.

Whilst I understand your frustration they may be a reason for this. Young people seem to really struggle with the band and the changes required to make it successful. There are quite a few examples of younger people that belong/ed to LBT that have had these issues. Going away to college also seems to present a whole other set of challenges as well. It seems that people struggle to find and/or afford the best type of foods when they are at college.

I am not saying the band is not for your daughter or that you should give up but maybe now is not the best time for her to be banded.It will be very difficult for her being so far away from her support system.

You have obviously learnt a lot since you have been banded yourself and a lot of what you have learnt can help your daughter now while she waits and hopes to be approved for the band.

I will keep my fingers crossed that you get the outcome you desire but if for some reason they make her wait then try to see that as a positive. It might mean that in the long run she is more emotionally ready to deal with the changes and it might give her a better chance of success.

I can feel for your daughter. Although, I didn't have any issues with insurance, I had to do a 6 month supervised diet. I'm 21 years old and a college student! My mom like you has had the lapband done. I was supposed to have the lapband done in July after doing 6 month diet, psych eval, etc etc. I've been in the process since December 2011. Well, in June they found I had gallstones. My doctor agreed to take them out during surgery. My gallbladder ended up being really bad and he couldn't place the lapband. It would have to be postponed 3 weeks. Come August and the next surgery date, I have an infection and hematoma. My surgery can't be done and I start in less than two weeks. My lapband surgery now has to be postponed until I have a break from college, which is in Decemeber. I completely understand how your daughter feels and how frustrating this process can be. Keep her motivated and inspired. Have her exercise and eat healthy while away for college. Any weight she can lose on her own before surgery will help. I believe she can go to any doctor for the 6 month diet, as long as they record her weight. That's what the insurance wants to see. I'm sure her school has an on site medical center or she can find a PCP near by. Tell her to not give up hope and it will come sooner than she thinks! How exciting! I think it's great she is starting this at a young age and taking control of her weight! Best luck! If she needs a friend to talk to, I'm here! I truly understand how she feels...just tell her to not give up! :D everything happens for a reason!

Thanks to all of you for your great posts. I appreciate all of them and all of your advice/information. I have thought hard about her being young and if she can handle the changes. Since being banded myself, my whole familiy has changed their eating habits and I believe this will aid her in the long run. We also paid for the meal plan with her dorm, and they have some really great healthy options for food! Luckily she has always been wise beyond her years and the psychiatrist said she is a great candidate for the surgery, even being young. She will be going to the University of NE at Lincoln, and it is at their campus health center that I finally found a physician willing to do her six month diet and exercise program. She is so motivated and excited to use the awesome exercise facility on campus, and is taking her bike instead of her car as well :) Thanks again to all of you!

The insurance should be able to provide you with gap coverage. Basically since she is so far away they should approve a doctor out of network that is close to her school. You would have to call them to inquirer.

Whilst I understand your frustration they may be a reason for this. Young people seem to really struggle with the band and the changes required to make it successful. There are quite a few examples of younger people that belong/ed to LBT that have had these issues. Going away to college also seems to present a whole other set of challenges as well. It seems that people struggle to find and/or afford the best type of foods when they are at college.

I am not saying the band is not for your daughter or that you should give up but maybe now is not the best time for her to be banded.It will be very difficult for her being so far away from her support system.

You have obviously learnt a lot since you have been banded yourself and a lot of what you have learnt can help your daughter now while she waits and hopes to be approved for the band.

I will keep my fingers crossed that you get the outcome you desire but if for some reason they make her wait then try to see that as a positive. It might mean that in the long run she is more emotionally ready to deal with the changes and it might give her a better chance of success.

I agree with Elcee.I know she is wise and mature at home but college brings another level of independence and testing boundaries.most colleges have healthy food choices but the most healthy high school students eat crap and gain weight in college.no matter what u pay for ,Pizza is delivered to ur door in late night study groups or parties .she already changed get mind about once.I would say let her get settled in and then go for it a year from now.With the new healthcare reform she can be on your insurance until 26(if ur in America) So I know you want the best for her and want her healthy.I pray she is truly ready for all the changes she will endure at once with the band and college.Goodluck to her and you :-)