Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hospital Stay Overnight/what Should I Expect?

Hi, I know a lot of you went in the morning, had surgery and went home later that day but my insurance insists that I be in the hosptial at least overnight. How was the hospital stay? Did anyone have to stay more than one night, if so, what happened?

Thanks

Enjoy the good drugs while you have them!!!! Maybe bring your own pillows...I wish I did! Be prepared for them to wake u up every two hours to try to pee and walk. Ice chips the first day do you're going to feel thirsty. I was mad to get woken up every two hours but I missed the morphine when I got home!

I had to stay over as that is just how my doctor likes to do things. The stay wasn't horrible... I was on oral pain meds and clear liquid diet. I was in significant pain the first 12 hrs post op. I agree with Keira, bring your own pillows, I SOOO wish I had done that. I walked like crazy to help with the gas pain and had to pee constantly because they kept me on IV fluids the entire stay. Plus they had the massaging boots on my legs anytime I was in bed to prevent clotting so anytime I wanted to get up it was quite an ordeal...and as you can imagine, bending at the waist was not super fun. Plus be ready to be woken constantly for vital sign checks. All in all, it wasn't so bad...I slept and walked a ton. I was happy to be home the next night to sleep in my own bed though!! Good luck!! :D

I second everything lapbandkeira said!! Everytime I finally fell asleep they came in and woke me up to walk or check my vitals or something. It was so annoying. And I didn't realize how much the morphine was helping until I went home ad didn't have it. I slept on my reclining couch for 3 days when I got home because laying in bed was to painful. Good luck!!

My husband had to stay more than one say because he has high blood pressure/blood sugars. Pain in the butt. Sorry

i agree with jessig

I was banded on 7/25 and had to stay overnight because of severe sleep apnea. Either I was way out of it and don't remember or was left alone but I don't think I was bothered at night at all. They had the inflatable booties on me to massage my calves so I wouldn't get blood clots. They brought me juice and broth as I wanted and I went home later the next morning. It was pretty uneventful. I had very little pain so I wanted to get up. The nurses were wanting to hold me and help me around and I felt fine (yes, I have a high tolerance for pain and once walked around for days w/ a ruptured appendix unknowingly - being overweight actually saved me in that instance). Nonetheless, my stay was uneventful. They gave me oral medicine (liquid Tylenol III) for the pain and that was sufficient. Good luck - no worries. Also, when they put the IV cathetor (sp) in the back of your hand, make sure it isn't too high up near your wrist. Mine was and I could hardly bend my wrist and over 2 weeks later it is still sensitive if I bump it. You will do great. :)

I stayed overnight, by choice, and I was so glad that I did. I was in a room by myself and I closed the door to the hallway and slept all day and all night. Yes, they came in every 2-3 hours to check on me, but that made me feel well taken care of. I was so happy to have someone taking care of me (help to the bathroom, eating, liquids, walking, etc). It was also nice to have my pain managed with stronger IV meds they cannot give you at home. I would not have done it any other way. Bring your phone and charger, download the ap for this site so you can check in and have your questions answered too.

Thank you for all the stories, this really helps me to know what to expect.

Much appreciation!!!