Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Completely Devastated :-(

Well...after a very long and successful life with my lap band I have to have it removed. I am completely devastated, scared and depressed. Many of you all on this site know my story (it's quite a long one)...in case you don't, here it is in a nut shell:

2007: 275 pounds...had lap band placed

2008: learned that my husband was cheating for years, completely devastated

2009: after attempting to save marriage, asked husband to leave

2009: 141 pounds...had lower body lift and breast lift with augmentation...never felt or looked better in my entire life...

2010: Divorce was final (May)

2010: Diagnosed with breast cancer (December)..had lumpectomy followed by 6 1/2 weeks of radiation therapy

2011: Learned that I was pregnant by my (now) fiance'

2012: Underwent numerous doctors appointments and biopsies because they thought the cancer returned...luckily it did not.

2012: May 15, 2012, my post cancer miracle baby boy was born and despite the horrible statistics that they gave me...he is PERFECT :-)

Today: I went in to have a fill after having it drained during my pregnancy. About three weeks ago I had an upper GI to see the placement of the band. I was so excited to go get a fill only to be let down and told that I have a small hiatal hernia and I have to have the band removed...FOREVER. I am completely and utterly devastated. I gained a lot of weight with my pregnancy and I am so fearful of being fat and unhealthy again. I am sitting in my office at work crying over this...I feel like a part of me has died :(

That is very devastating news. For such a permanent and life-altering decision like that, could you get a 2nd opinion? I am noticing from this site that many surgeons approach things a bit different. Also, someone else mentioned they had to have theirs removed due to adhesions and were going to get the bypass. If you are able to get a 2nd opinion and it has to be removed, could you consider getting the "sleeve" (which is very similar to having the band)? I know no one wants another surgery but just thinking of options.

Best of luck to you!

Because of the hiatal hernia I am not a candidate for the sleeve but they said that bypass is an option but I do not want to do that. I still cannot believe this is happening...I was filled with information this morning but all I heard was jibber jabber after they told me that I need surgery...then I cannot lift my son for 4-6 weeks afterwards...I can hold him but not bend down in the crib and pick him up...all of this is like a big kick in the gut...I just wanna be like my profile picture again.

So sorry for all you have already gone through....Id go for a second opion also...best of luck to you....dee

Wow. Your story is very inspiring. You are an amazing person for making it through what you have. I agree I would def get a 2nd (...and 3rd, and 4th) opinion. There has to be more options. Banders get hernias all the time and have them fixed, have the band removed for a few months while they recover and then get a new one. It's very common. Also, the conversion to bypass. I would def move forward with getting a 2nd opinion and have faith! Don't stress until you've exhausted every option. Good luck! ...and congrats on your little miracle. <3

Because of the hiatal hernia I am not a candidate for the sleeve but they said that bypass is an option but I do not want to do that. I still cannot believe this is happening...I was filled with information this morning but all I heard was jibber jabber after they told me that I need surgery...then I cannot lift my son for 4-6 weeks afterwards...I can hold him but not bend down in the crib and pick him up...all of this is like a big kick in the gut...I just wanna be like my profile picture again.

I would get a second opinion.

I too have a small hiatal hernia. I've also had a band slip (cured by a unfill) and severe esophageal dilation (after which my band was removed). On numerous occasions, I've asked my surgeon if my hernia could have contributed to the band slip or dilation, and if we shouldn't repair it to prevent future problems. She has consistently said no.

I am revising to the sleeve next Thursday. Not once during all my discussion about the sleeve with my surgeon has she mentioned that a hiatal hernia of any size is a contraindication for sleeve surgery. Not once in all my own research about the sleeve have I read or heard that a hernia is a contraindication for the sleeve.

I'm not a doctor, but I'm having a hard time understanding why your surgeon insists that your band must be removed, unless there is an additional reason that he/she hasn't mentioned to you.

After all you've been through, I would hate to see you have your band removed without exploring every other option available to you first.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

I, too, have a hiatal hernia. It was found during an EDG as part of my pre-screening for an anomalies including a hiatal - in case they needed to fix during my banding.

I never knew I had the dumb thing, but per my surgeon it is just a few stitches to close the hole. They warned me it would probably be more uncomfortable than the band at first b/c of the heart burn sensation of it.

Mine is 2-3 centimeters in size, but my surgeon definitely isn't bothered by it.

You are definitely an inspiration and have faced so much! Get a few more opinions and know that you have the support of so many!!

I know of several people with a hiatal hernia who had a repair then a band or sleeve....

That said, you obviously are a rock star and will get through this. Cry your eyes out today then start gathering more information. You are an inspiration and please keep us updated!!!!!

I have a hiatal hernia and its being fixed when my band is being placed. Get a 2nd opinion.

I'm just getting ready to start my journey. I know your scared. I'm scared too. If they say no as well, you already have the tools to help you the small portions the exercise, just follow those steps. Now that you've already taught yourselve you don't need to depend on the band anymore. It was just a step in your life, you can do this, you are strong enough and smart enough to overcome this. I can't say I've been through what you have we all have our own stories and challenges, but I have faith you can do this.

Best of luck.

Bets wishes to you! I don't havw any experience with the problem you have, but just wanted to send a hug!!Karen

Oh my gosh, you've been through so much! You definitely have a fighter spirit to overcome so much. I'm so glad that the cancer didn't come back and you have a beautiful new baby.

I agree with the others, I would definitely get a second opinion. I am not a doctor and have no medical education, but I've known tons of people with hiatal hernias that either have them fixed while being banded or end having to have it fixed later. I've never heard of someone having their band removed because of it. For that reason and for your own peace of mind, I'd get a second opinion before you make any decisions.

Best wishes you.

I agree with the second opinion. I had a very large hiatal hernia fixed during lap band surgery.

I just had my hiatal hernia fixed and my band repositioned on July 9th. I would get another opinion. Unless there is something else going on??

Sorry about all your bumps. What a trooper you are!! :)

When it rains, it pours...you have had an amazing journey, and are an inspirational success. You are having your coping limits severely tested, and your strengths are many. You will also get through this...and the upside is that you have so much experience and knowledge to utilize and help you get through your present situation. Remember that past performance is the best predictor of future success...

As others have written, get a second and maybe a third opinion before you make your decision and have any additional surgery. Different doctors do vary in their preferences as to how they approach their practice and their preferred treatment protocol for patients.

Happy that you have a "miracle baby" to brighten your days...sending you positive thoughts and prayers...

Wow. I can tell you are a strong woman and will win this battle. You're in my prayers.