Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill Today

I get my first fill today. What will it be like. I am not worried about the needle as I had to give myself Lovenox when I was pregnant. so if I can handle those dreadful things I think I will be fine. Just worried I won't have restriction.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but most likely with your first fill you won't feel any restriction. Maybe for the first few days....but most times it takes multiple fills before you feel restriction.

The fill itself has always been quick and painless for my. My surgeon places every port in the same place so there's really no "finding" for him. He has me lay on my back on the exam table, he draws up the Fluid into the syringe to fill my band with, then wipes the port area with alcohol. He gives it a minute to dry then has me get into a "crunch" position so the port is easy to access. He pokes into the port through my skin, adds a small bit of Fluid then draws it back confirming he's in the port (if he's not, he told me no fluid would come back), then once confirmed he injects the rest.

I have to wait 5 minutes post-fill in the office and drink a cup of Water. If it all sets well, then I'm good to go. liquids for 24 hours, Mushies for 24 hours, then back to normal.

I've had two fills, have 4.5 cc in my 11 cc band and still don't feel any restriction. I go in for another fill Monday.

My first fill was definitely the most interesting, as the Dr had to play around a little to get right into the port as she kept hitting the side. It wasn't painful, just uncomftorable, but ever since that first fill she is always into the port the first try. I think it's common that the first fill is some digging/searching for the proper entry point, so don't be worried.

Just to show how everyone is different, the poster above me has 4.5cc and doesn't have restriction. I have 4.8cc and am perfect where I am at. I could probably go for another fill, but I'm fine leaving my band on the loose end.

My first fill went exactly as Jen's did. I go for my second fill this coming Wednesday.

Good luck!

NWGirl - I think I'm close maybe to feeling restriction...I'm just not sure, this is all so new! Last time I went in for my 2nd fill, he planned 3 cc's then saw that I had lost 12 lbs in the past month so decided to only do half...be less aggressive. I don't get my "full" signal, but I do stay full for about 4-5 hours after eating. I think I'm halfway to the green zone :)

I would like to get that "full" signal. I worry though that he may not want to do a fill this time because I've lost 12 lbs since seeing him last (hopefully a few more by my appointment Monday). We'll see!

Hey everyone... I'm was banded 2/1and have had several fills how do you know when your are too tight.

I've had two fills, have 4.5 cc in my 11 cc band and still don't feel any restriction. I go in for another fill Monday.

wow u lost 51 pounds with no restriction??!!

Thats amazing

I was told that just because you are loosing doesn't mean you shouldn't get a fill. There are two factors to needing a fill: 1) if you aren't loosing and 2) If you aren't feeling restricted. I would argue with my surgoen till I am blue in the face that just because you are loosing and not restricted doesn't mean that you don't need a fill. :)

I am going for my first one on Saturday and am very excited! I was told I could have more than one in the first month if I would like to get to restriction quickly.

NWGirl - I think I'm close maybe to feeling restriction...I'm just not sure, this is all so new! Last time I went in for my 2nd fill, he planned 3 cc's then saw that I had lost 12 lbs in the past month so decided to only do half...be less aggressive. I don't get my "full" signal, but I do stay full for about 4-5 hours after eating. I think I'm halfway to the green zone :)

I would like to get that "full" signal. I worry though that he may not want to do a fill this time because I've lost 12 lbs since seeing him last (hopefully a few more by my appointment Monday). We'll see!

Since so many have a different opinion of what restriction is, here's mine: I can eat a small, band size meal and be satisfied for 4-5 hours. Most days of the week, this is the case and I don't feel that another fill is necessary til the time starts gettting smaller and/or my meals get larger.

I know some want the full signal you talk of, and I have had it periodically, but it really is just uncomftorable if I eat enough to get that far.

Your loss is amazing! Whatever you are doing, keep it up!

I also got my first fill today. I definitely feel a difference. My doc put me behind an x-ray machine and had me drink barium. Very cool to watch on the screen. I noticed immediately that I had to watch how much Water I drink in one swallow again. I'm on fluids till Sunday.

I hope the restriction lasts longer than a few days....

How can you tell you are too tight? I can tell you, I had my first fill today and it was a 2 hour horrible experience. They put in 2 ccs as it's what they always do on a first fill, I swallowed the barium, nothing was trickling through the band (did flouroscopy), I wanted to vomit. Then the nurse thought something went wrong, stuck me in a room to spit up, walk around in circles, and constantly do little burps to try to alleviate the uncomfortable feeling in my throat. The little cup of Water they gave me, I took some sips and no more, nothing was going down. Finally she laid me down, pulled out some of the saline and realized I had too much initial primer and gave me 2 ccs which threw me up to 5 ccs in a 10 cc band. Ugh, if they always go like this, forget about going for more fills. But I'm not giving up this easy, I had to take out a loan to do this since my company could care less about people needing weight loss surgery, and I'm going back in a month.

Hey everyone... I'm was banded 2/1and have had several fills how do you know when your are too tight.

Oh girly you will know you won't even be able to get Water down!! Give it a day or two if you s can't get liquids down try hot water with lemon if you are still having problems go get an unfill. Hope this helps

How can you tell you are too tight? I can tell you' date=' I had my first fill today and it was a 2 hour horrible experience. They put in 2 ccs as it's what they always do on a first fill, I swallowed the barium, nothing was trickling through the band (did flouroscopy), I wanted to vomit. Then the nurse thought something went wrong, stuck me in a room to spit up, walk around in circles, and constantly do little burps to try to alleviate the uncomfortable feeling in my throat. The little cup of Water they gave me, I took some sips and no more, nothing was going down. Finally she laid me down, pulled out some of the saline and realized I had too much initial primer and gave me 2 ccs which threw me up to 5 ccs in a 10 cc band. Ugh, if they always go like this, forget about going for more fills. But I'm not giving up this easy, I had to take out a loan to do this since my company could care less about people needing weight loss surgery, and I'm going back in a month.[/quote']

Wow. I got a fill on Thursday and it was my first one. They gave me 4 cc and I still don't have restriction. I go back in two weeks for my second fill. I don't know how much he will give me but it'll probably be at least 1 cc. If you're band is too tight you will definitely know you won't be able to do anything you'll throw up and won't be able to keep anything down.

I got my first fill last Tuesday. I felt absolutely nothing. It was awesome. I have a 10cc band and at surgery doctor filled me with 4cc. So I only got 1cc at the fill last week. Half way there. I'm not at my sweet spot but I can't eat as much as I used to. Next full? Next week.

I got my first fill last Tuesday. I felt absolutely nothing. It was awesome. I have a 10cc band and at surgery doctor filled me with 4cc. So I only got 1cc at the fill last week. Half way there. I'm not at my sweet spot but I can't eat as much as I used to. Next full? Next week.

Correction *next fill? Next week.