Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm about 4 months post-surgery, and my hair has been coming out pretty heavily for the past few weeks :( Fortunately it was really thick to begin with so it's not noticeable to others (yet), but I can feel how much it's thinned out and it's starting to freak me out a bit! I'm seeing my doctor next week for a fill, so I plan to ask him about it then, but has anyone here experienced this? From what I've read online, it sounds like it may be a post-surgery effect that will go away? Or it could be a Protein issue? I track my meals and get a minimum of 50g a day. My initial goal was 79g, but I figured since I've lost 70 pounds my protein goal probably isn't as high anymore? Feedback?

No worries! I also have super thick hair that began thinning within weeks after surgery. It lasted about 6 months and then started slowing down. I am now 10 months out and still lose more than I used to, but it is pretty normal. Just make sure you are taking your daily Vitamins and getting enough Protein. Calcium helps too. Try to drink a glass of non fat milk a day. It helped me! You will be ok. I freaked a little too because my hair is one of my best attributes, but it all balanced out.

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the cite & is considering getting the surgery. After reading ur post about hair thinning I have to admit its kind of scary. Is this a common side effect?

My nutritionish warned me about this. She said it I wasn't getting enough nutrients I would lose some hair (not all, some). She said I need a good quality Vitamin. She did not want me on childrens or gummy's. I am taking a multi vitamin from GNC that is Tropical Oasis that she approved as a good one. I also take a liquid B12 and Vit D gels and Viactive chews for Calcium. I am only 6 weeks out and haven't had any issues, yet.

I take Biotin every day with my multi vit. And have not had this problem at all. ?

I also got the advice to take Biotin from some posters here, and the hairloss seems to be back to a normal level.

A good calculation for Protein intake is weight x 0.3 = grams of protein per day. Obviously as you lose weight, this decreases, but 30g less than what you were originally told seems too low.

I began taking Biotin right after surgery. About 3 mos post op my hair was falling out by the hamdfuls. Nut changed my vitamins--i was taking gummies--switched me to Celebrate bariatric vits and it stopped. I have a full head of hair. I would joke to dh thinking id go bald....told him i might be bald...but im gonna be SKINNY and bald.

Thanks for all of the feedback, I am loving this forum!! I do take Vitamins, but they are gummies (one a day women's with calcium). I will look into getting a better brand! Also the biotin..is that just another separate Vitamin? And thanks for the Protein calculator, that is very helpful! I had talked to my doctor about protein intake and he had said as long as I get 50g I am fine. Then again, he is not a nutritionist! Thanks for all of the pointers. I am glad I am not alone! Hopefully the shedding season will be over soon, ha!

How do you all take the Biotin? It is a capsule so not sure how to get it in?

Yes, Biotin is a capsule, but is small enough to swallow. I buy the 5000mg from Walmart (approx $5) and take one per day.< /p>

How do you all take the biotin? It is a capsule so not sure how to get it in?

Yes' date=' Biotin is a capsule, but is small enough to swallow. I buy the 5000mg from Walmart (approx 5) and take one per day.< p>[/quote']

I have been afraid to take any

pills in

Biotin from Walmart is a cheap way.

Thanks for all of the feedback' date=' I am loving this forum!! I do take Vitamins, but they are gummies (one a day women's with calcium). I will look into getting a better brand! Also the Biotin..is that just another separate Vitamin? And thanks for the Protein calculator, that is very helpful! I had talked to my doctor about Protein intake and he had said as long as I get 50g I am fine. Then again, he is not a nutritionist! Thanks for all of the pointers. I am glad I am not alone! Hopefully the shedding season will be over soon, ha![/quote']

Those are the same brand gummies i was taking. My nutrionist said they were not adequate. Once i changed my hairloss stopped w/in a week or so.