Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! I'm just over 5 weeks post op and I just can't get passed the small dime size pieces...I take big bites and chew like crazy(counting every bite) and then there are days I'm thinking about smaller bites...how can I stop myself from eating the bigger bites? I know it's my old self with my old eating habits...any tips on how to stop the big bites??

I'll be following your responses! I'm supposed to practice this before my surgery... and I'm consistently failing!! Can't wait to read some good advice on this topic.

I'm 3 months post op, and I still take large bites, and chew a lot. It is something that you might have some time to learn.

i have to force myself to just cut my foods up small that i know i will take a big bite of

Its a mental thing. I could not bring myself to eat with a baby spoon like many recommend. I began cutting my bites in half. I would only put half a spoon or half a fork full in my mouth.

Just as hard is eating slow. I work on this constantly. Until this past Saturday I had only had food get stuck for an hour or so. Saturday was a super busy day. I ate in a hurry, I ate the wrong thing (scrambled sausage, egg and cheese). Mis 73 is right. I will NEVER, ever gulp down my food again. I was SO sick. It was very painful. Lesson learned!

Try eating with baby utensils. It helped me in the beginning. Also cut up your food real small before you start to eat.

It is hard! I havent had a stuck issue yet, so it is a constant reminder thing with me. My first day on solids after my first fill, I took a bite of steak... I felt it. I got so scared as I was in a restaurant! So afraid it was going to come back up, it didnt, but it stopped me for that night.

Yet the next meal at home, after I was done eating I was back at my big bites and fast. I know I have to work on it. I think a lot do

Good luck!

It's still challenging for me, almost 2 years post op. If I'm too hungry or the food just looks & smells too good, I still have problems with tiny bites. But believe me, I've paid for that. So, we just have to try to pull back a bit and eat those small bites, which is really hard but necessary!

This part still challanges me - eating small bites and eating slow. When I put something on my plate, I cut it up into small bites. Then, before popping it in my mouth, I will cut it again. When I'm starving, and really just wanting to shovel food in, I cut bigger bites than I need. When I'm in the moment and actually getting to fill my stomach with food, it's easier to rationalize my bites. I still eat fast though. Slower than I used to by a long shot, but still fast enough to give myself indigestion after the first few bites. My body is REALLY good at reminding me to slow down.

Thanks for the info! It definitely is a mental thing! I haven't had anything stuck yet...sounds painful!! I will make myself cut the bites up!! Great info!! I appreciate the shares!! Maybe spoons with holes in it will help! Lol

On a side note this site is amazing!! Thanks for the support as always!!

I also find taking the time to focus on eating and not being distracted by tv or trying to keep up with friends or family at the dinner table.

At work, I've found if I can't take at least 10 mins to sit down and eat slowly and chew my food properly, it's best not to eat at all. Often a drink or a coffee can tide me over until I actually get a decent moment to eat.

I've also been waking up about 30 mins earlier to prepare my lunch and eat Breakfast instead of trying to eat on the run like I did prior to surgery

Try eating with baby utensils. It helped me in the beginning. Also cut up your food real small before you start to eat.

I did the exact same thing. I use a baby spoon when ever possible and also used a small plate which I still do when I am at home. I cut absolutely everything up in small pieces.... Still do that as well 20 months later!

It is such a a hard habit to break. I mean I still eat too fast and take bigger bites it's ridiculous. Like everyone says I'm pretty sure once I get stuck I'll learn

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

I bought some cocktail forks. It has made a huge difference for me!