Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting To Get Freaked Out:(

I Finally have my surgery date (August 28) and I was fine till I actually heard the nurse say "we scheduled your surgery ". I got off the phone and and felt sick because of fear. I have never had any kind of surgery, I just don't know what to expect. I'm worried I won't be able to handle it? Anybody have any words of wisdom that will ease my nerves? I'm afraid after all this work to get where I am I will back out because of fear? Please help?

I don't think it makes any difference if you have had surgery before or not, I am still always terrified. I think you need to focus on the fact that this is a really safe surgery and that going through it will hopefully help you to achieve better health and live longer than if you don't ( so long as you do your part)

Just make sure you follow your Dr's instructions on diet presurgery as that is to help shrink your liver and make the surgery safer, give up smoking and any other bad habits and then just concentrate on the positive.

I was really anxious and a little scared up to the time of getting surgery and what helped get me through is that I kept thinking of the future, get through this little step and you will get this weight off. Just keep the end result in your mind. Also, it helps to be confident in your surgeon, I know mine has done over thousands of lap bands and devotes his life to this, he even has the band himself, so this helped too. You will have pain, but you will get through it, it does get better, I'm 3 weeks out and all those aches and soreness are gone, except for my food journal I keep everyday, I would forget I had this surgery :).

Before my surgery at the age of 43, I had had my gallbladder taken out (large open incision) at 23, a C-section at 27 and surgery on my wrist after smashing it when I was 35. I remember talking to my surgeon in the OR when I was having my wrist surgery and telling him I was nervous. He told me he would be worried if I wasn't nervous.

If had to have a psych eval before being approved you may want to contact that doctor. It is normal to have anxiety but if it continues to cause you to be sick you may want to talk through your anxiety with a professional.

Best of luck to you!

It is completely normal to be nervous. Just remember that the journey has begun. This is what we've wished for and it is the stepping stone to unlock the new you!

I am just 5 days post-op and I feel great. The surgery is something these doctors do so many of and you are going to be fine.

I hope you find ease.

I nearly cancelled the day before. I had a little snag with insurance and was SO relieved when they said they may need to cancel until we get authorization. When the doctor came through at the last minute and forced the approval, I was scared to DEATH!

I had the thoughts of - - I can just do this on my own. I've done so well on the liquid diet, I can do this! Do I really want this?

I went home and sorted everything out in my head. Reality hit, and the fact that 1) I was only losing because I was not eating, and 2) if I could do this on my own, I would have years ago and wouldn't be in this situation. I decided to put on my Big Girl Panties and do it.

I've never regretted it for a minute since getting out of surgery. I wish I would have done this years ago.

Nerves are completely normal - - it's real now, it's actually going to happen! Just take a deep breath and think of why you're doing it.

I am in the same boat. I am so scared! My date is August 21st. and i am trying to talk myself out of it. But i have my husband in the background as my cheerleader. I have had surgery before but the whole elective surgery is what started to scare me. We can do this though!

I am scheduled for Friday and I am scared too and also second guessing myself. But I weigh 237. I've been overweight for 13 years, and I can't continue to live like this, so I am making myself do it and it will be fine.

I need the tool, I need the tool (calming self talk).

LOL

Pennie

I was so scared before surgery! Just keep thinking about all the great successes that you will have because of it. I've always been a science nerd so I calmed myself down by watching videos of the surgery on YouTube. It really helped it sink in that this isn't a complicated surgery and that it will be over quick. Don't worry about the pain or anything because it really isn't too terrible. My doc said I was in more pain than most people and ended up keeping me overnight but it still wasn't that bad. The shoulder pain bothered me the most but the heating pad will make it all better :)

I had never had surgery before, either! I was very nervous, but now, 1 week after it, I am doing pretty good! My surgery was on a Wednesday, and the last pain meds I took were Thursday around 1pm. I took a tylenol on Monday when I attempted to go to work. I had no idea it would be harder to sit up in a desk chair, so after a couple hours of forcing myself to do so, I was sore and took tylenol.

The hardest part for me was 24 hours after. I threw up twice, but those times are long gone. I slept a lot :D and had my momma there hovering over me. Don't be afraid to ask for help or to ask someone to just sit with you. You're going through a lot physically and emotionally, and it won't be super easy, but you will make it through just fine!

If you get nauseous, deeper breaths helped me a lot when I was feeling nauseous, it might help you? If you have pain, take the pain meds :) I used a heating pad the first couple days and a pillow on top of that and hugged it to my chest as I slept. It was very soothing to hold something against me so I could relax my muscles and not feel scared I would pull an incision. Best wishes to you!

Christy.Lynn that is very helpful! I will have to go out and buy a heating pad. I also already made my husband take off for two days after so he can take care of me. But i have to stay the night in the hospital afterwards so that makes me feel a little better.

You're staying over night? Then you'll be golden :) Mine was done in outpatient, and I was home by 2:30 in the afternoon lol. I'm really glad you've got your husband there for a couple days, use him! Don't be afraid to ask him to get something just because you can't reach it.

I had my surgery yesterday!! I was a little nervous, but once they gave me a dose of the anti anxiety it was all good!! I don't remember a thing ( kissing my husband bye, being rolled out to the operating room) just work up and I was in recovery room and all had gone great according to my doctor!! I slept most of yesterday and today I've been resting, eating my soft diet and being cared for by my super supportive husband!! The pain is there, particularly at the site of the port, but I am really feeling better than I was expecting to!!

Kmrawls, isn't that anti-anxiety stuff amazing? It's like sober-sh**faced in 2 seconds! I asked the nurse if I could try to stand up cuz I knew I'd fall over... they said no lol. I didn't remember a thing after that... sleeping a lot and being cared for are lovely things :)

Pjenkinson1970, see? you have nothing to worry about. Once you get the stuff to "help you relax" it's all giggles from there! At least until you get home :) And then you've got us to help you through that!

Wow these post make me feel great... I was given my surgery date and right at that minute my nerves got the best of me...I am on day three of the all liquid 14 day diet and it is rough but I am doing it... My surgery is scheduled for August 24th and I am really excited and ready to get it done... I thought last night that maybe I don't need to do this surgery but then reminded myself that I have been over weight for years and can't do it on my own..So reading these post reassure me that everything I feel is normal and I look foward to a new me and a shopping spree with some cute new clothes...Lol