Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So one thing that has been getting me upset is the idea of being told i cannot eat something! I feel as though when I go with my mom grocery shopping, everything she buys will be 'off-limits' (once im able to eat regularly). I know things such as Pasta, breads, broccoli and asparagus are off limits (my two fav veggies :/ ) but is this true for everyone? I am so upset with my decision to get the lapband, as you may have seen in my previous post... and this is one of the biggest issues i'm dealing with. Yes, I researched thoroughly before getting the surgery but it's a completely different feeling when you actually cant have the foods - not just are thinking about not having them. I can deal without soda and chips and junk food like that but i do love pasta and a lot of recipes contain bread. I know the point is to get Protein in first, however, some meals are not separated into protein/veggies/starches... my favorite food used to be skinny chicken alfredo .. and I don't like the idea of never being able to eat this again. I guess i'm just searching for a little hope that I will be able to eat these things ONCE IN A WHILE? .... my friend also had the lapband procedure done and she seems to be able to eat everything from pizza to pasta to steak to cheesy bread and in the same portions as preop!!!! .. I assume she is not tight enough, but this kind of eating also is completely opposite from why she got the band in the first place. I do not wish to eat like this, but I do wish to have a sandwich here or there, or a small plate of ziti. can anyone shed light on my not-so-important worries?!

I was told that I could have Pasta, but has to be whole grain pasta. By the way it is very good. I can have whole grain bread. BUT, it has to be very small portions with eating your Protein first. Hope this helps, and don't get discouraged.

There are no foods you can't have. But, there are some foods you may not be able to tolerate without getting stuck. Personally, I have not encountered anything that I can't have. I can have all the things you've listed with no problems and my doctor says everything is ok with moderation. So, I say go ahead and have a little ziti and the asparagus and broccoli are great food choices (although they may make you a little gassy).

I agree with the other posters,they tell you not to have those things because they are heavier as far as Pasta and bread and will fill you up and you need protien first. Eventually you can try those foods in moderation but may find that they get stuck or make you gassy. I myself do not eat pasta, bread or pizza, because they get stuck and if they don't they make me feel sluggish probably because of the starch. I treat myself to something I like here and there but in moderation and you will find in trying things some things you just can't tolerate. I am 4 years out and I still can't eat a lot of things I used to love even in small amouts, but losing the weight and keeping it off is far better for me than missing foods I loved to eat.as for your friend if she can eat all that in the amount she could pr op I would say she is not tight enough and in long run she will will not see the results she was after.the band was the best thing I ever did and I hope as the weight comes off for you you will see being healthy and losing the weight is far better than eating something you like.after awhile you get used to not having it and you don't miss it as much.

I wasn't given a list of food I can't eat... Just things that I should eat I moderation... High fat foods, high carb foods, etc. I think you could try your favorite foods and see if you can tolerate them. If so, just make sure you eat them in moderation. Also, know that since you are still newly banded, your body is stil going through food withdrawals and that is probably part of the reasons you are feeling so much regret about the band. It's like any addiction, your body will help you make excuses and justifications to get what it wants... In this case, the foods and quantities you used to eat.

You will find that the longer you go without certain foods, your body will stop craving it. I was/am a huuuuuge lover of potatoes and I had a 3 week preop diet where I couldn't have any potatoes and the first week was pure hell...but after that, it became so much easier. Now I'm on mushy food and on my list of approved foods, is mashed potatoes. Presurgery, I was looking forward to this phase... I've not had mashed potatoes yet. I'm not craving them at all.

Just know that it will get easier! You jut gotta hang in there. Also, tell yourself that you have the band now and you just gotta deal with what comes with that. For me, as a self pay, it is NOT an option to go in and take e band out. I have it now, I'm stuck with it and I might as well get used to it.

So one thing that has been getting me upset is the idea of being told i cannot eat something! I feel as though when I go with my mom grocery shopping' date=' everything she buys will be 'off-limits' (once im able to eat regularly). I know things such as Pasta, breads, broccoli and asparagus are off limits (my two fav veggies :/ ) but is this true for everyone? I am so upset with my decision to get the lapband, as you may have seen in my previous post... and this is one of the biggest issues i'm dealing with. Yes, I researched thoroughly before getting the surgery but it's a completely different feeling when you actually cant have the foods - not just are thinking about not having them. I can deal without soda and chips and junk food like that but i do love Pasta and a lot of recipes contain bread. I know the point is to get Protein in first, however, some meals are not separated into protein/veggies/starches... my favorite food used to be skinny chicken alfredo .. and I don't like the idea of never being able to eat this again. I guess i'm just searching for a little hope that I will be able to eat these things ONCE IN A WHILE? .... my friend also had the lapband procedure done and she seems to be able to eat everything from pizza to pasta to steak to cheesy bread and in the same portions as preop!!!! .. I assume she is not tight enough, but this kind of eating also is completely opposite from why she got the band in the first place. I do not wish to eat like this, but I do wish to have a sandwich here or there, or a small plate of ziti. can anyone shed light on my not-so-important worries?![/quote']

Having the lapband is not about cutting out food groups, it is about making the amount you can eat smaller. Some people have their bands very tight and cannot eat some things, which i think is misuse of the point of the band and can be a crutch and cause of band problems. I have my band where I stay full for 4-5 hours on an appropriate amount of food, but I can eat anything.

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

You can eat some Pasta and bread... just don't over do it unless you'll feel it just sitting there. I eat Pasta, rice, rice noodles, breads (not too doughy) regularly, however in moderation (maybe 4-5 pieces of pasta). The softer the pasta, the easier, just remember that it is not a source of Protein and it is not good for your hips and thighs.

As for the vegetables - I'm the opposite. I had so much trouble with chicken, turkey, steak, etc that I have become vegetarian after the band. I can eat almost all veg and fruits, except spinach used in a salad. I can eat cooked spinach, but raw spinach gets stuck. Try smaller bits, reallychewing, and taking longer to eat a meal. A salad that used to take me 20 minutes to eat now takes me about 2 hours.

There is nothing I can't eat in moderation. At least, that is the theory; I do find depending on the day certain foods give me issues (doughy breads, for example). But I can generally eat Pasta no problems. Asparagus too, depending on the day. I have had pizza (thin crust, yum!), wine....all the foods I love. So don't be sad about that. Every doctor is different, but I think all things in moderation; as long as you can sustain it for the rest of your life, that's what you need to do!

You can eat some Pasta and bread... just don't over do it unless you'll feel it just sitting there. I eat Pasta, rice, rice noodles, breads (not too doughy) regularly, however in moderation (maybe 4-5 pieces of pasta). The softer the pasta, the easier, just remember that it is not a source of Protein and it is not good for your hips and thighs.

As for the vegetables - I'm the opposite. I had so much trouble with chicken, turkey, steak, etc that I have become vegetarian after the band. I can eat almost all veg and fruits, except spinach used in a salad. I can eat cooked spinach, but raw spinach gets stuck. Try smaller bits, reallychewing, and taking longer to eat a meal. A salad that used to take me 20 minutes to eat now takes me about 2 hours.

LibraJennifer.... i was having trouble with most meats just like you and then i bought myself a pressure cooker. Ive found that using the cooker for meats has made all the difference to what i can eat now. meat is moister, and it has more flavour. Plus the fact that most things are ready a half hour from the time you start cooking. If you really do miss your meat i suggest you try a pressure cooker. i bought an electric one.... its fantastic. judy

wow thank you all for the comments! this definitely helped ease my worries! i know that Pasta, breads and the like are not healthy foods but I would like to have them once in a while! It is a good thing my hubby doesn't care for pasta too much! However, he is spanish so rice and Beans are a must in our house! however, i think I can live without as long as i can taste them every now and then. I know i will find ways to deal with my food issues eventually but this whole full liquids and no food crap is really bothering me! anywho, thanks again!!!!