Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Were Your Symptoms Of A Port Flip? Pain?

I had a little stomach bug on Wednesday night (8/1) around 7. This is the first time I've really thrown up hard since my banding a year and a half ago. Afterward I felt fine, no chest pain or band discomfort. I felt normal.

I work in the nursing field and the next day after lunch around 1 in the afternoon I felt a little uncomfortable in my left side. It started out about 3-4 inches above my port. By the time I got home I was doubled over in pain, unable to breathe deep, cough, or talk, and it was worse laying down. I slept with ice packs and in the morning it wasn't as bad but it was still difficult to breath due to tender muscles in my abdomen. The pain was spreading though all along my left side, expecially over my port area and above it.

This evening I feel a little better but it's still extremely painful to breathe and it's excruciating to cough or laugh. It brings me to tears.

I called the office this morning and the nurse said it could be a pulled muscle but I'm just not feeling any better.

Does this situation sound familiar to anyone... or anyone who had a flipped port... was it this painful??

sounds really scary Nadily! I would go to the ER to get an xray...but unfortunately, I have only been banded for 3 weeks! So I don't know what is normal!

I had a little stomach bug on Wednesday night (8/1) around 7. This is the first time I've really thrown up hard since my banding a year and a half ago. Afterward I felt fine, no chest pain or band discomfort. I felt normal.

I work in the nursing field and the next day after lunch around 1 in the afternoon I felt a little uncomfortable in my left side. It started out about 3-4 inches above my port. By the time I got home I was doubled over in pain, unable to breathe deep, cough, or talk, and it was worse laying down. I slept with ice packs and in the morning it wasn't as bad but it was still difficult to breath due to tender muscles in my abdomen. The pain was spreading though all along my left side, expecially over my port area and above it.

This evening I feel a little better but it's still extremely painful to breathe and it's excruciating to cough or laugh. It brings me to tears.

I called the office this morning and the nurse said it could be a pulled muscle but I'm just not feeling any better.

Does this situation sound familiar to anyone... or anyone who had a flipped port... was it this painful??

ido hope that you feel better now. i dont know about a flipped port. ...but, i had a flu bug with vomiting about three days ago. i couldnt vomit anything back up though and it was the weirdest feeling. i havent had any issues since, apart from some gastric pain.

With it being as I'm self pay I don't think going to the ER is a great idea. Although thinking of those pain meds is tempting me. Im still hurting really bad. I was just curious if anyones had these symptoms before...

With it being as I'm self pay I don't think going to the ER is a great idea. Although thinking of those pain meds is tempting me. Im still hurting really bad. I was just curious if anyones had these symptoms before...

You really should try to make it to the ER. I'm a nurse, too and hate the idea of taking myself to the hospital but it sounds like you may have the symptoms of band slippage, which is sometimes a result from hard vomiting. Best of luck, keep us posted!!

-Melissa M.

Ya I'm eating just fine and no coughing or chest pain. The nurse ruled out slippage over the phone. its like a stabbing burning mid to upper left quadrant pain.

I would think that the nurse is probably right, severe vomiting can cause you to pull a muscle as can deep coughing. Take it easy and if it is no better in a couple of days go and see your Dr.

Hi there,

I am really sorry to hear of your pain.

I just reconstruction of my band because of a flipped port, mine was not completely flipped, but it would move around, so i could eat normally, then occasionally i would experience something similar to you (especially when i had something, deeply stuck, where just getting it out wouldnt work).

I will tell you some of my symptoms:

- If i overate, i would get the stabbing sharp pain on the left shoulder(doc says its because the port was digging into my diaphram)

- every few months, i would get this urge to vomit, and would get sharp shooting pain along from my stomach to my shoulder

- i had a few instances, where i would vomit, but it was never because there was any food "stuck"

- i had one episode, where i vomited over 30 times in one night :(

it sounds to me that you might have just strained the band, and that you are also swollen from having the stomach bug, my suggestion (which always used to work for me) is to go to your doctors office, get them to completely remove the Fluid from the band, then have a long drink of Water, and get them to put the Fluid back in....

or alternatively, get them to take it out, and give ur body a 2 week break.

either way, you should not be in pain, this is NOT NORMAL, and you should go to your doctor... it will only get worse if you dont.

I hope this helped :)