Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't Weigh Myself?!?!?!?!?!

Hello fellow post op band buddies!! I was banded on July 25th (9 days ago) and I've lost 13 pounds already. Super excited!

Had my first post op visit on Tuesday and the doc said everything is healing nicely and that all should be fine.

My meeting with the dietitian also went well, but she told me to stop weighing myself everyday, to limit it to once a week. It's very difficult for me to do this because I have these reoccouring stress dreams that I'm gaining weight, so every morning I have to weigh myself. She told me not to do this everyday because she said she doesn't want me to get discouraged if I don't lose weight one week or so.

How often do you guys weigh yourselves? I go for my first fill on August 22nd, so hopefully that may help boost my weightloss? Any encouraging words would be so greatly appreciated. I'm following everything by the book to the letter. I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly.

Warmly,

-Melissa M.

My doctor doesn't want me to weigh myself unless I'm in his office & I've stuck to that. Daily fluctuations drive me nuts, so I understand his point.

I can't wait for my visit next week so I can update my ticker. I know I've lost more than 14 lbs. because my pants are almost too big for me now. :D

Oh wow okay so do you find that you liked the number on the scale everytime you got on it when you weighed yourself less frequently?

-Melissa M.

When I initally lost weight, I only weighed in once a week. When I started maintainace I weighed in every day. I kept the weight off for about a year and have been gaining since. I just started back on track with a low-carb diet. I plan to get on the scale every 3-4 days. Seems like a good compromise. Congrats on your surgery!

I have the same problem. I am 6 wks out today and I still weigh every morning when I wake up. My doctor said weigh once a week on the say day, but I just can't. I like you, am scared of gaining an ounce. Before the band the "stuck" periods or the slight gains (.4 oz) would drive me nuts and I'd say screw it, I am eating what I want, then I would gain back everything I had lost. Well, with the band I have been really good about staying on course. If I see and up one day or a few days of the same thing I try something different. Also, now that I am exercising each day it seems that I am hitting plateaus more often, but my husband said pay attention to my clothes, which is true, my pants, shirts, even underware fit better. I know it is working. So my advice would be do what makes you feel comfortable and know that just because you have an up day or a stretch of the same weight, that it is normal and stay on course.

Warning when your TOM gets close Water weight gain is a b*****.

I am almost a year and a half out and I still weigh myself everyday. I only record it once a week on Thursday's. I figure avoiding the scale is what got me to almost 400lbs. It works for me. You are doing awesome - 13lbs in 9 days is amazing. Good luck to you!

I weigh myself once a week. I would go nuts if I weighed everyday. I think you should follow your drs schedule. YOu may get discouraged if you "gain an ounce" like you said. Good luck in your journey

Twice a day. Morning and before bed. If you understand the way the band works and acknowledge that you may only lose 1 or 2 lbs a week what's the risk? I know when I've been bad and it shows on the scale. Weight fluctuations can occur for many reasons and my mental health isn't so fragile that I would throw in the towel if I gained a few lbs. It's usually only Fluid retention if I've eaten too many carbs.

How can you move forward if you don't know where you are? jmo

tmf

I weigh almost everyday, and I used to get frustrated and sometimes discouraged. So, I still weigh at home, but on Mondays I go the the gym and weigh on thier scale that gives me a printout of my weight, bodyfat and BMI. I hang this on the fridge.

I'm with TracieR, I weigh once (or twice) a day, but I write it down on my calendar once a week on the same day every week. That way, when it feels like I've been battling the same 1-2 pounds forever, I can look back and see that six pounds in a month is not bad!

Guess I'm different from most. I do weigh myself everyday and check up or down, then I assess what I ate or drank the day before. It's a way for me to monitor myself. But I don't feel bad if I've gained a pound because I know if its Water weight or carb intake by reviewing food activity. The weight scale is my personal trainer on checking on myself daily. I didn't do this before and that's why I'm overweight.

Best wishes to all. My band date is Aug 6.

Hello fellow post op band buddies!! I was banded on July 25th (9 days ago) and I've lost 13 pounds already. Super excited!

Had my first post op visit on Tuesday and the doc said everything is healing nicely and that all should be fine.

My meeting with the dietitian also went well, but she told me to stop weighing myself everyday, to limit it to once a week. It's very difficult for me to do this because I have these reoccouring stress dreams that I'm gaining weight, so every morning I have to weigh myself. She told me not to do this everyday because she said she doesn't want me to get discouraged if I don't lose weight one week or so.

How often do you guys weigh yourselves? I go for my first fill on August 22nd, so hopefully that may help boost my weightloss? Any encouraging words would be so greatly appreciated. I'm following everything by the book to the letter. I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly.

Warmly,

-Melissa M.

Hi Melissa,

The scale can be your best and worst friend. I myself get on the scale once a week at the same time and day first thing in the morning. You can weigh yourself every day, and every day you will see a different number. Why do that to yourself! Put the scale away and look forward to jumping on it once a week. You don't need the added stress. I know for many it is difficult to do this, but honestly that is pure torture!

Best of luck to you!

-Patty

Guess I'm different from most. I do weigh myself everyday and check up or down, then I assess what I ate or drank the day before. It's a way for me to monitor myself. But I don't feel bad if I've gained a pound because I know if its Water weight or carb intake by reviewing food activity. The weight scale is my personal trainer on checking on myself daily. I didn't do this before and that's why I'm overweight.

Best wishes to all. My band date is Aug 6.

aww you are being banded on my birthday, and that will be your 'new' birthday!!!

Best of luck and a speedy recovery!!!

-Patty

Hi!! I was banded on 7/23/12 and was weighing myself daily as well. At my post op appointment my Dr advised me to stop.... easier said than done! He said it would drive me crazy. He doesn't want me super focused on "weight loss" but rather eating right and exercising right now. I am taking his advise and staying off the scale everyday. I now plan to weigh once a week (baby steps..lol). Hopefully I will be as successful post op as I was pre op!

Best wishes to you!