Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you find this thread beneficial?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did you find this thread beneficial?

• Yes, Thanks for posting this! It helps!
    • No, Doesn't help at all.
    • I found it rude and uninviting and it pissed me off.

Okay, maybe I am just a little irritable today. My back is killing me. Anyways, I would really really really like to suggest that we all take a moment and do a thorough SEARCH before posting threads. I find myself repeating answers that have already been answered elsewhere. I don't want to ignore the newbies as I know they are excited and starting their journey, but at the same time, the site is overflowing with duplicate, triplicate and quadruplicate questions. So I thought I would offer some SEARCH HELP for searching the Lap Band Talk site for information:

To do a search on LBT:

1. In the bold bar located under the personal log information is a row of links. (UserCP, FAQ, MembersList, etc.)

2. Find the one marked "Search"

3. Click on it and it will bring down a search entry bar

4. Put in your common words you are searching for and click on GO

5. You can also do an "Advanced Search" by clicking the link below the entry bar.

6. You may have to try different key words to find the information you are looking for, and sometimes read through some posts. But often times, while researching, you answer other questions you have and haven't asked yet.

Please don't think I am ragging on newbies. I just want LBT to be a pleasant place and easy to maneuver. I really don't mean to offend anyone. It isn't just newbies, it is all of us sometimes. Heck, I even do it once in awhile and shouldn't. But it is just pure laziness. And if I did upset anyone, please vote in the poll and I will just delete the thread if it makes anyone's blood pressure skyrocket by my comments and suggestion.

Hi Jenna,

Well, I haven't been on LBT much lately and the cumbersomeness (if that's a word) is a big part of the reason. Since the new year's membership push there are just TOO many threads to keep up with. And you are absolutely right that the asking of the same questions over and over contributes to this. I should have searched for "What's a PB" before starting to type this message. I'm sure that question alone has been asked hundreds of times.

Thanks for posting the poll.

Jenna,

many times Ive tried to seach for something that Ive posted on - and cant find it using the seach field.

But I agree... too many NEW threads with the same old questions.

The search help is a good suggestion. As a newbie, I can say the volume of posts can be overwhelming, but the same is true when doing a search. The keyword or topic searched doesn't always match what your looking for and you spend a lot of time weeding through posts. However, this is the first time I've been part of a community like this and I'm still learning the in's & out's. There will always be learning curve. Nonetheless, the search could be used more often I'm sure.

I understand being irritable.....I was there yesterday. :)

Jenna,

many times Ive tried to seach for something that Ive posted on - and cant find it using the seach field.

Yeah... I don't get it. I did a search for "PB" and got NO MATCHES!

HOW could that be??

The Search button isn't the same anymore...dunno what happened, but it seems I can't find an old thread unless I know who started it. But, yes, some searching around for the answer would definately help.

ON THE OTHER HAND...I remember logging on for the first few times and being completely lost. I couldn't find the New Thread button, now I know it's at the top of the Forum, not the top of a thread within the Forum. When I was looking for new Posts, I would start witht he General Discussion Section and look for highlighted posts until those were done, then go to the Support section, etc etc. Then I discovered the New Posts button...hello!!! Well, you get the idea. Until the site map makes sense, it's hit or miss and some folks need a question answered, by golly!

Alexandra said, in another thread and better than I will, that the new posts and threads keep the board vital and active and interesting. Little groups of people start to get to know one another because their posts and interests and issues are similar. It's the relationships, more than the information, that are the most helpful in many cases. If all you want is info, search and be done. If you want to jump in and get to know folks, post questions. And, yes, "what's a PB?" is a very important question to know the answer to, IMO. :) When the answer is "buried" on a Sticky in the FAQs Forum (is that where it is?) it makes it hard to find for a newbie like I was. Now look at me :) I'll never go away, now. Isn't THAT scarier than yet another new thread?!!! :speechles :):) :)

Here's an idea...whenever you see yet another thread with the same old question or topic, do a search and post links on THAT thread to the 10-12 other threads with the same topic. It's as much work as posting a reply, right?

Okay, that was a punchy, smart-assed reply. But a good solution, no????

Alexxxxxxxxxxxxx??? Can we take a look at the search button feature when you get a chance?

I agree about the linking, and I have been known to do that. But why couldn't they do that in the first place and thus creating less threads to sift through or just be ignored and feel unwanted? I don't want newbies to feel unwanted or ignored but I too get tired of saying the same stuff day in and day out.

The Search button isn't the same anymore...dunno what happened, but it seems I can't find an old thread unless I know who started it. But, yes, some searching around for the answer would definately help.

ON THE OTHER HAND...I remember logging on for the first few times and being completely lost. I couldn't find the New Thread button, now I know it's at the top of the Forum, not the top of a thread within the Forum. When I was looking for new Posts, I would start witht he General Discussion Section and look for highlighted posts until those were done, then go to the Support section, etc etc. Then I discovered the New Posts button...hello!!! Well, you get the idea. Until the site map makes sense, it's hit or miss and some folks need a question answered, by golly!

Alexandra said, in another thread and better than I will, that the new posts and threads keep the board vital and active and interesting. Little groups of people start to get to know one another because their posts and interests and issues are similar. It's the relationships, more than the information, that are the most helpful in many cases. If all you want is info, search and be done. If you want to jump in and get to know folks, post questions. And, yes, "what's a PB?" is a very important question to know the answer to, IMO. :) When the answer is "buried" on a Sticky in the FAQs Forum (is that where it is?) it makes it hard to find for a newbie like I was. Now look at me :eek: I'll never go away, now. Isn't THAT scarier than yet another new thread?!!! :speechles :eek: :D:)

I agree 100% with the above... I've been on message boards for years and sometimes new threads of the same ole' questions can be annoying but this is about "daily" conversation and not just information. This board is for support so that newbies and oldies alike can share in a common experience. It's not that difficult to skip over post that are annoying.

If you do a search and find your answer great.. but if you want to talk to someone about it what are you going to do post at the bottom of a really old thread? It's much nicer to just have a new thread.

Yes this helps. I'm still learning how to manuver around here.

Why not an exclusive section for Newbies........I have been here not long 6 months or so and still struggling as each new stage brings new questions to search for...........dont' scare us newbies off, this is the best site ever, how about dividing it up more in the forums!

Cheers to everyone:)