Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Band Doesn't Work Like It Used To...

So, I feel pretty unique here - correct me if anyone else has the same issues... I've had my band now for about seven years, I think. I am at a decent weight (though I am 20 pounds heavier after having my son, than at my thinnest), but I have some band problems:

1. I am able to eat a lot of food, though I'm pretty restricted. Had a flouro last year, suspecting maybe pouch dilation, but everything looked good. No dilation. Why can I eat more than I used to be able to eat when I was really actively losing???

2. If I am stuck I am able to "push" food down by applying pressure to my band area with my hand. Yes, it's very odd. I try not to do it, but sometimes when I'm stuck or I WANT to eat more food, I'll push it down.

3. I don't really get that full feeling any more.

Any other long-time bandsters have these same issues? Do you think a revision might help? The docs seem quite clueless - maybe because the band hasn't been around all that long. I would love to lose those 20 pounds I've been hanging on to for awhile, but it feels so much harder this time around!

Have you had- or can you get- a fill? Maybe after time it's a little looser- I have heard that it will lose a little saline after awhile just to evaporation.....or if you lose weight it can make it a little looser as you lose internal fat....

I hope you don't mind but I'm going to copy a previous post about this because it very much applies to your situation:

-------------------------------------------------

It seems to me there is a lot of misunderstanding out there when it comes to restriction. Over and over, I read post after post of the following statements:

"I have had fills but can still eat whatever I want"

While some people do have issues eating certain foods, there is absolutely no truth that you shouldn't be able to eat foods like breads, Pasta, and rice. If you are following a low carb diet that's one thing, but being banded doesn't mean you shouldn't be physically able to eat them anymore. Many of us can still eat absolutely everything we ate before surgery.

"I have had fills but I can still eat more than 1 cup of food"

This may be true, however, just because you can eat more than a cup of food doesn't mean you should. More often than not, if you eat slowly and stop after eating no more than 1 cup of food, you will find that you are satisfied and no longer hungry despite the fact you could still physically eat more. Quit trying to test your band to see how much you can eat, because the only one that will fail the test is you, not the band.

"I have had fills but I don't feel full"

Big misconception- the band will make you feel full. Wrong. It's true some people do feel full but it's a different full sensation than we had before banded. In fact, it's almost uncomfortable. The band is not supposed to make you feel stuffed full, it's supposed to make you feel satisfied with less food for longer periods of time. If you keep getting fill after fill because you don't feel stuffed full, you are going to end up one of the many people who have bands too tight and slips as a result. Being satisfied means you are no longer hungry, not that you feel as though you just ate a seven course Thanksgiving dinner. Quit trying to feel full and start listening to your body because it will tell you when it's satisfied.

I encourage everyone to educate themselves on the Lap-Band, what it does, and what it doesn't do. Too many people are walking around banded completely ignorant to the facts and I fear many will have complications and slips because of it. It's your body, take responsibility for educating yourself on it.

Thanks, Mis73. While lots of that info does apply, I have to admit, I am not ever satisfied. I am just always... hungry. The band, for me, has changed. I did feel satisfied before but don't now. I read somewhere once that prolonged users of the band have decreased levels of leptin, the hormone that helps you feel satisifed.

Long time no see Puddin, glad you are well!

My band has "changed" too. Like you, I'm at a good weight - I got very thin when I was sick a while back and have regained that weight, but I didnt want to quite regain it ALL, and I'd like to lose about 8lb but I just cant get that help from my band anymore. If i fill more I get too tight. My band is working very well to maintain weight but its not a lot of help for me to lose.

I think that's in the perception though - when you're heavier, you lose weight so easily. When you're already a healthy weight, you really do need to cut down to miniscule portions to lose 20lb and the band was never meant to help you literally starve yourself.

I think I eat quite large portions and I always get the munchies between meals, its a constant battle and a constant rebounding on and off the wagon for me to keep away from the carby snacky foods. But when I really LISTEN I am satisfied physically on a cup or so of food and not hungry till nearly the next meal time. That doesnt stop me wanting to eat! I think the problem is with the band, although my body has adjusted to be a stable 145lb or so and I no longer lose, in truth, the 1400 calories or so a day I eat is not enough to sustain a 145lb 5ft 10 woman who works on her feet all day and runs most days. So my body is always saying feeeeeeeed me, even though I dont feel the physical hunger I might without the band. Does that make sense?

I actually do better when I allow myself to eat more substantial, Protein filled meals. I have developed this obsessive horror of a meal over 300 calories and if I add the fat and Protein to bump my lunch up to say 500, I do get through till dinner very easily. And it doesnt add up to eating more than 3 300 calorie meals and a whole lot of nibbling, picking and "not quite" Snacks. But for some reason I really struggle to allow myself to do this.

Obesity is not a disease you really recover from, you can only manage it. You dont reach a finish line with the band, its a life long task and I find it helps me to recognise that and realise I will always be adjusting and readjusting my behaviour. And part of that is just accepting that the band "feels" different some years out. I only have to look at what everyone else eats to remind myself it is doing something.

I seems to me that if you are getting stuck, that would be a signal for you to stop eating...and if you listened to the subtle signals you band is likely giving you, it would assist with loosing the last pounds you would like to.

I've only been able to loose weight by managing my hunger with using distraction, drinking Water and sheer will power and determination. I have empathy for the hunger you are experiencing...I'm still coping with it every day.

Best wishes...

Jacqui! Wow it has been awhile! Good to hear things are still going well for you, too. Sounds like I'm not alone in this. I suppose I'll have to lose the last 15 (again) with spit and grit... the way OTHER people have to. Lame. Boy, the first time I lost it all it seemed so stinking easy. Even the last few pounds were not difficult - of course back then I was single and had loads of time to exercise obsessively and count every calorie. Being married and having a child with special needs sure takes every last second. I still exercise every morning, but not the 2+ hours each day I used to.

I do not get stuck very often.It just takes sheer will power to not push it down when I do.

Thanks' date=' Mis73. While lots of that info does apply, I have to admit, I am not ever satisfied. I am just always... hungry. The band, for me, has changed. I did feel satisfied before but don't now. I read somewhere once that prolonged users of the band have decreased levels of leptin, the hormone that helps you feel satisifed.[/quote']

Might be your ghrelin levels returning...

I have the same issue. I've been banded about 4 years and have gone up and down with the amount of Fluid in my band (including one complete infill about 3 months ago due to too much reflux). I've now gotten 4 fills and currently have more fluid in the band than I did when I had the infill. However I really feel no restriction. It's as if my body has learned how to get around the band, somehow! I don't think another fill is the answer..... I think I'm just going to have to lose the rest of the weight the "old fashioned way". I do hope that the band will at least help me maintain.

I might be far off, I've only got 3 years in. How much have your bodies change? I don't know if babies push things around, or if shrinking organs can make a difference. I really wish I only needed to get 5-20 lbs off, ver nice job. You might just need an adjustment, small but enough to get you back to where you want to be.

Puddin, if you've only got 20lb to worry about after having been pregnant, had a baby and coping with a special needs child, yo'uve done pretty OK - most of my weight came with each of my kids - not the pregnancies but the sitting round breastfeeding and eating and being stuck at home for months - at times I was gaining 2lb per week!

Before babies I was only a bit "solid".

It's as if my body has learned how to get around the band, somehow! I don't think another fill is the answer..... I think I'm just going to have to lose the rest of the weight the "old fashioned way". I do hope that the band will at least help me maintain.

Agreed. I think we both might. Sasha might just be right... our Ghrelin levels are returning because our bodies are so used to the band now. That being said, the band HAS helped me to maintain, mostly because it taught me to eat less.

I don't know if babies push things around, or if shrinking organs can make a difference. I really wish I only needed to get 5-20 lbs off, ver nice job. You might just need an adjustment, small but enough to get you back to where you want to be.

You know, come to think of it, it was after I had my son that I noticed I no longer felt satisfied after meals. It would take an hour to feel any sort of satisfaction, but it never was a lot. Maybe that baby pushed the band or hormone levels changed. Looks like you've done great so far! I'm sure you'll be successful.

Puddin, if you've only got 20lb to worry about after having been pregnant, had a baby and coping with a special needs child, yo'uve done pretty OK - most of my weight came with each of my kids - not the pregnancies but the sitting round breastfeeding and eating and being stuck at home for months - at times I was gaining 2lb per week!

Before babies I was only a bit "solid".

It is probably BECAUSE of the special needs child that I've been able to maintain. I gained 60 pounds during pregnancy since I had to be unfilled the entire time, but lost 40 of it after the baby. Found out about a year ago my little guy is autistic and, in addition to the 5 hours a week of structured therapy, requires about 20 hours a week of "floor time," which basically equals getting on the floor and playing with him, trying to get him to interact with you. In addition to that, every "moment" is a teaching moment, so everything takes four times as much effort. All that makes it pretty easy to stay active. It is a lot of work but I wouldn't change it - or my son. He's perfect the way he is :)

Ugh. I had a huge response typed and it got lost in cyberspace.

First of... Hi G!! You were a huge inspiration to me when I started my journey. I read your blog religiously (I miss it!!).

I am probably not one to give advice considering my journey. Recently I had to have my band repositioned when I had a hiatal hernia repaired. When continplating yet another surgery I kicked my butt into high gear to see if I should keep my band or not. Started exercising tons, changed my diet drastically to work with my band and PCOS... and I saw success again... despite a wonky band. Now my band is fixed but empty... so I am dealing with hunger (which sucks!). But I am still kicking it into high gear with food and exercise. It is very time consuming. I am putting ME first.

My point being... you know this. You did this. You spent hours upon hours counting calories, cycling, and exercising. You put YOU first. You had that ability and luxury.

Now you have a husband and a special needs child. They are first. You are at most third on your priority list. Massaging stuck food through your band is not an ideal situation. Either the food choice is poor, the food quantity is poor, or there is something wrong with the band. You ruled out band issues... so perhaps you need to look at food choices?

Great job on the post baby weight. Perhaps this is your new normal with everything going on in your life right now. Otherwise... maybe you can readjust your schedule to cycle another hour a day. Can you?

I have never been that close to goal. But I hear over and over how the last 10-20 pounds are the hardest. I know you said your journey was easy before... but if you sat and wrote down the difference in your exercise and food from right now to then... would there be a difference?

Your #1 focus right now is your beautiful son. As it should be. Those 25 hours of therapy a week were the hours you exercised before. Hours you could dedicate to your health. Now they are dedicated to your son's health.

You will figure it out. I am not discounting that your band feels different to you. It may very well not be quite the same. But there also may be other factors that need examination.

I wish you oodles of success in getting those last 20 off and finding balance with all your added priorities in life.