Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So as I sit here and think about it, I am not as educated on the lapband as I had imagined.

What is an averge period of time for "routine " fills.. Are they routine?

I've assumed that they vary by person but average about once a month?

Why not sooner?

Please let me know how often (or not) you go for a fill.

Banded 7/5/2012 :)

For my surgeon, the 1st fill is done at time of surgery. The next is done 4 weeks later. There is a fill approximatly every 4 weeks until you hit your 'sweet spot'.

I was told it's only every 4weeks because it takes your body and the band approximatly 4 weeks to adjust to the fill.

i've only had 2 fills,they r every 4 wks.started 4 wks after surgery

my doctor will not do a fill until at least 6 weeks post-op. And then only if you are not losing and whatever other criteria he requires.

I have first fill 6 weeks after surgery and was told if I can eat more than a burger patty I can come back ASAP there is no 4 week waiting period for me. If I need one a week later I can make an appointment and come back until I reach the green zone. I'm happy about that.

my doctor will not do a fill until at least 6 weeks post-op. And then only if you are not losing and whatever other criteria he requires.

May I ask a few of his main requirements? Just curious :)

Banded 7/5/2012 :)

Mine had said in seminar once a month for fills (didn't get first fill til 5 weeks post op which was today) but then today they said they have found the faster you get to green zone, the better you lose weight and keep losing so they now have changed it to once every two weeks until you're green. YAY I'll get there so much faster!

I can go for a fill as or when needed, no time prescription here :)

I was banded in May and got a fill at the time of surgery. I have been back to the Dr. twice since then for check ups and he said as long you are satisfied 3-4 hours between meals there is no need for a fill. He said when you are hungry every two hours then he will do a fill.

So as I sit here and think about it' date=' I am not as educated on the lapband as I had imagined.

What is an averge period of time for "routine " fills.. Are they routine?

I've assumed that they vary by person but average about once a month?

Why not sooner?

Please let me know how often (or not) you go for a fill.

Banded 7/5/2012 :)[/quote']

My surgeon put 4.2 Mls in my band at surgery, he then gives a fill three weeks later as he said that's when hunger usually begins to return, so at three weeks he put in . 8mls so that made it a total of 5 Mls, he then will do a fill every two weeks if needed until you get to the green zone. After my first fill I really didn't feel that much more restriction but it curbed my hunger. Now I am seven days after my first fill and the last two days I have no hunger and am starting to feel some restriction so I may need just a tad more at my second fill appointment in five days time.

Just keep in mind also each surgeon is different but I'm really happy that mine isn't making me wait weeks or months to start fills and I can continue losing weight as I have so early after being banded. Yes a lot will say being only four weeks out is a time for healing and to not worry about the weightloss and getting fills but I'm doing really well, am exercising and following my surgeons instructions to the t. I want to hit that green zone as soon as I can and stay encouraged to keep melting this fat from my body.

Sorry I added extra info but I just love my band so much and it's still early days but have already lost over 40 pounds in 8 weeks.

My surgeon told me that he doesn't give fills until 6 weeks after surgery, and only then if you are losing as much weight as he thinks you should. If you are not losing an acceptable amount of weight, more than 3 lbs a week, then he is not wasting his time giving you a feel because you are not taking the surgery seriously enough.

OH and he wont tell you how many CC's he is putting in, because any patient who worries about the CC's is not doing the proper work needed to lose weight.

My surgeon told me that he doesn't give fills until 6 weeks after surgery' date=' and only then if you are losing as much weight as he thinks you should. If you are not losing an acceptable amount of weight, more than 3 lbs a week, then he is not wasting his time giving you a feel because you are not taking the surgery seriously enough.

OH and he wont tell you how many CC's he is putting in, because any patient who worries about the CC's is not doing the proper work needed to lose weight.[/quote']

The dr is not following the FDA approved purpose of the band then, to lose 1-2 lbs a week. He's off the reservation. Get a new doc.

I have to agree.....find a new Dr! I like a strict Dr. but that is just off the charts! I agree that a Dr should push his patients but come on thats ridiculous!

Losing slower (1-2 lbs a week I mean) usually means not as much skin sag and also statistics show you keep it off longer. Can you see about changing drs or bringing those kinds of things up to him? I wouldn't do well with that pressure and I'm working hard to follow every single rule.