Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Itching post op, and it isn't my incisions.

Tonight out of the blue the skin around my incisions starts itching. Maddeningly! It's *around* my incisions, but not the incisions themselves, and every single one of them has it. I tried hydrocortisone, I tried calamine, I tried a compress... nothing is helping & it's driving me mad! Not touching it makes it itch, but touching it makes it itch even more. It feels like 100 mosquito bites all in one. Ask-a-nurse says bacterial infection, but I don't think so. I think it's related to the stickies they put over my staples, but dang - those have been off for over a week, and this is the first time I've had any real issue. Plus they made sure I was latex-free (my only known sensitivity) during surgery and post-op. I will def. be calling PCP if this is still here tomorrow morning.

Here's a pic looking down. The areas are about 1/4" puffed up.

rash1.png

Here's my largest/port incision, the leasy affected one. You can see some spots on top, but most are below. Still small. Minus the 5 staple holes on the bottom, everything else is this "rash". They look almost like little cuts, but feel nothing like that.

rash2.png

The area that has it the worst, one of my side incisions. For scale, the incision is just over an inch long.

rash3.png

Wow girl, I think that looks like a reaction to the stickies too.

Looks very much like hives.

Try some Benadryl (spelling?)

OmG......makes me itch just looking at them.

I hope the Doc can do something for you tomorrow.

I hope it's not an infection.

I will be thinking of you.

Let us know what the doctor says!

Wow girl, I think that looks like a reaction to the stickies too.

Looks very much like hives.

Try some Benadryl (spelling?)

I agree....go get some Benadryl ASAP. And yes, PhotoNut, it's spelled correctly. :)

Yep that is an allergic reaction, benadryl, or even dimatapp both in liquid form, Sister here with me is a dermatoligist nurse, says it looks like it is a reaction, Infection you would start some form of discharge...but still do cal lpcp

omg please keep use posted on what that is mine does itch it burns when u move but one of my girls said that normal her burn also just a healing part and when u r better try coco butter cream to reduce the marks

I should be a commercial for Lamisil. I think it is the best thing for rashes and itching since sliced bread. You can get over the counter prescription strength, and I will vouch IT IS AWESOME. It is one thing I am NEVER without in the house. This is a cream. I worry a little about Benadryl...I think it's over-rated and it also can make a person tired, unlike Lamisil which will get rid of the itch and clear it up altogether. Give it a try.

wheetsin,

i was banded monday march 13th, and i have some intense itching going on too. this is the same itching i experienced when i had a c-sec. no staples for me, but steristrips for both surgeries. i am itching like a mad woman!! if you find a solution, please share....

This looks exactly like the rash I have gotten after several surgeries; not just the lap-band recently. My doctor says it is an allergic reaction to the steri strips. It is maddening! My hives got so bad they turned into blisters. I feel for you girlfriend. The only thing that gave me relief was the benadryl....50 mg at a time. Ice packs also help.

Lamisil is an anti-fungal....that is definitely looking like an allergic reaction to the bandage. I agree with trying the Benadryl, should provide some relief for you. Hope it gets better fast!

I have to agree with those above that mention benedryl. That is what they would order for you if you were still in the hospital. It is a great antihistamine. We give it quite often for those with sensitive skin who have allergic reactions to tape, steri strips and also to those who are using pain medications and develop a slight itch. Best of luck to you. If it continues or you see any sort of seeping from the incision areas I wouldnt hesitate to follow up with the PCP.

That's not an infection, it is a local allergic reaction. trry benedryl cream or orally and put a cold cloth on it. Scratching will make it worse. It is probably the adhesive from the steri strips. Good luck!

Although Lamisil is labeled as an anti-fungal and good for things like athletete's feet it is excellent for skin rashes and yeast rashes also. It also takes all the itching away, which I've never found Benadryl to do.

As others have indicated, it's an allergic reaction to the steri-strips.

I get the same thing, but I now know about it. Turns out, I'm not allergic to latex in the steri-strips or tape (which everyone thought) but i'm allergic to the adhesives they use on the tape/steri-strips. I can't even wear band-aids on some parts of my body, becuase my rash ends up looking exactly what you showed.

Benedril may help (I never take it because it knocks me totally out). Another (topical) thing that may help is a cortizone cream - ask your doctor to presribe you something stronger than what is available over the counter.

Also, heat will make them itch worse (like a hot bath/shower or a heating pad) - try to keep them away from heat as much as you can.

Conversely, i'm not sure if ice would help dimish the itch or not - you might try an ice pack to see if it helps.

They WILL go away, but they'll likely drive you mad for a few days (as yo'uve already discovered).

Make a note in your medical records of this reaction, and ask your doctor to test you to see if you are allergic to latex (there is a blood test they can do). If you are allergic to latex, you need to get that added to your medical records - if not, then it's likely teh adhesive on the tape that you're allergic to - also make a note on your medical records, and remember for the future in case you have other surgeries.

Hope you feel better soon!!