Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Everyone Get Stuck?!

Hey guys!

I'm new to this forum, and while I have a lot of questions, one burning question is: do you all get stuck? I was banded at the beginning of April, I've had 3 fills, have lost 67 pounds, and have yet to get sick. Everyone I've spoken to says "just wait, it will happen!" I have yet to eat something that doesn't go down. I do chew everything very thoroughly to a mush, and I spit out things that I can't get to this consistency such as strings from pea pods or celery or really chewy pieces of ground beef. I worry that at some point I will get stuck, but my doctor said it won't necessarily happen to me. I also worry that it's a bad thing that I can eat whatever I want (just smaller quantities, of course). So I guess my question is, are there any other no-stuckers out there? Or am I simply in a honeymoon phase? Although the lifestyle change was a major adjustment, this whole thing has really been a dream so far!

Your one of the few fortune who don't have stuck issues, good for you! May happen later but if okay it safe & smart like you have been shouldn't happen to you. Lucky dog. Lol keep up great progress! !

Showoff :P

I was also banded in April and have not been stuck. I also have not yet had a fill other than the 1 cc they put in at the time of surgery, so I know I am not a "normal" bandster.

You're doing the right thing by chewing your food to mush. I get in trouble when I eat too fast or take too big of bites. I can eat everything mostly except bread (but I can do bagel thins) and rice by itself ( I can have it if very little is mixed with something like veggies) I wasn't getting stuck until this last fill. I have to really watch my bites. I was banded just before you and am at almost the exact weight loss as you are. today was the worst. I reheated salmon and ate too big of a bite and got stuck BAD! Threw up for over 2 hours and had to go in and have my Fluid removed today. Very bummed!

It sounds like you're paying much better attention and doing it the right way! My Dr. told me you should never feel your band unless you've done something wrong.(too much too fast wrong foods etc...) Good job on what you're doing!!

I have 2.5 cc's in my band. I was just banded in June, but I haven't gotten sick either. I also get told the same thing. However, I like you Chew, Chew, Chew! I have just this week felt like something was having trouble going down so I stopped for 15 min and it passed- I ate to fast. As long as I follow the rules (chew and eat slow) I hope I won't get sick.

I was banded a year ago in April. I have a 10cc band and up until about 4.5ccs I NEVER got stuck. Now I'm at 6.4ccs and get stuck quite often. I may or may not get and un-fill. My mom and one of my aunts have issues with getting stuck, and my other aunt never gets stuck. So it may very well happen to you, just make sure you chew and go easy with each fill you get until you get accustomed to the change!

I've read about some people never getting stuck. I wish I was so lucky. Unfortunately, if I wait too long to eat and am really hungry, I tend to eat too fast and that always causes a problem. As soon as I feel myself getting stuck, I'll go on to the bathroom and "urp" up the offending item to keep from getting too irritated.

I can only speak for my self and my spouse, but I was banded in March and have only had two small fills. Luckily so far, I have not had a stuck episode. My husband has been banded for one year and has never had a stuck episode either. Both of us had a vomiting episode after surgery from the anesthesia. It was so painful, that I am terrified of vomiting again, so I am trying to avoid it at all costs!! :blink:

I did not have any stuck episodes until I had over 5.5 cc in my 10 cc band.....I get stuck, like others, when I get too hungry then eat too quick. I have only vomitted from these episodes a few times and it was always pork so I just don't eat it any more....otherwise it always passes in a few minutes. I also notice that I will often get a little stuck the first few bites in my empty pouch so I wait a few minutes then it passes and I finish eating. I currently have 6.5 cc in my 10 cc band.

I was banded 10/27 and I've only been stuck once. I only have 5.8cc in my band abs am in the green zone. I do feel pressure and that's when I stop eating. Sometimes its uncomfortable but I don't think its being stuck per say. I also don't get sick. I hear a lot of horror stories, which is probably why I don't like being real tight.

I have some discomfort in my chest when I eat too fast or swallow too much at one time.

But I have never had to bring something up and I am a year out from surgery.

I am two years out and have had maybe 3 stuck episodes and none since hitting restriction. Only things I have troubel with are plain raw baby carrots and cheap white bread that gets really Gummy when you chew it.

I did great the first 3 years, never getting stuck with no fills in band I was coasting through life at goal. Christmas day I got too big for myself and had some overdone ham which I love to chew but did not chew enough and got stuck. Almost 3 hours later from dying of pain and not being able to swallow my own saliva, I had to have some hot coffee to get that out of me. It was never going to move down from walking and jumping up and down and everything else they told me to do. Was on liquids for 2 days afterwards from being so swollen and sore. Now I am almost 4 years out and a few weeks ago I got stuck on a couple of crackers with Peanut Butter. If I had something to drink with it I am sure I would not have gotten stuck but I thought I was okay. Again after 3 hours of suffering with no power from a storm I tried repeatedly to get it up or down. Same story, finally got it out and sore for days. I never thought I would get stuck because first of all I have no fills and second of all, I thought I was doing so good. It only takes one episode of being too hungry and eating too fast or not chewing enough. It sounds like you are doing great and I hope you never get stuck, but it does happen to the best of us even at this stage of the game. So you see, this has left a scar on me mentally which tells me I WILL NEVER GET ANY FILL of any kind because I never had such pain and suffering in my life as when I got stuck.

I'm about 11 weeks out and 4.5 cc in my band. I haven't ever gotten stuck. Indigestion from eating a big bite once but never a PB or worse, throwing up. I'm actually still struggling with eating slow so I'm pleasantly surprised it hasn't happened yet. I'm working on slowing down though. It's tough!