Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Light at the end of the tunnel....

After my depression and stress of yesterday finding out my surgery was postponed because of Medicare's new rules I decided to pay for it myself. I really didn't feel I should have too, because I am covered, but such is life. Just when I had resigned myself to the fact I'm doing this for me and paying for it, my daughter calls with the news that she has contacted Vanderbilt University Hospital in Nashville (which is a Center Of Excellence) and arranged a seminar and meeting with a lap-banding surgeon on Apr. 25 and 26 for me...seminar on the 25. What a kid...she knows all the right people, but then she is a nurse herself. They accept Medicare and I have all my paperwork so they called me today and said "come on down". I'm so thrilled just thinking Vanderbilt...like this is state of the art and more. God always comes through in some way, shape or form if you pray enough, and no one will ever tell me any different. Last night I just handed the whole mess to him and told him it's in your hands now, and today a wonderful phone call from a great hospital (one of the top 10 in the world) and once again my hopes are up. I can afford the surgery, but I could also do so much for my kids with the money if I didn't have to pay for it. One of my daughter's badly needs a second car and I'd love to get her one. Fortunately, she isn't proud :) she will gladly accept it. I would love to put more in my grandkid's college funds and lots of other things. I felt very selfish paying for a surgery for myself when there was so much else I could do with the money.

God works in mysterious ways. You just need to have faith that he will come through for you.

Today is much brighter.

Dody

You refused me a piggy back ride, therefore, no new car for you. See what happens when you aren't kind and generous :)

What sweet news!!! Hey Ms. Dody...come on over I will give you as many piggy back rides as you want!!! I just need a small amount of 1200. :-) lol..but at 5'1...I just don't think the ride is going to be that great...lol. Congratulations again on your news!

What sweet news!!! Hey Ms. Dody...come on over I will give you as many piggy back rides as you want!!! I just need a small amount of 1200. :-) lol..but at 5'1...I just don't think the ride is going to be that great...lol. Congratulations again on your news!

Susan wouldn't let me piggy back on her :) I should have asked you. Packing me around would surely drop the pounds. Thanks for the well wishes.

How do you find out if a hospital is a Center of Excellence?

They are supposed to be listed at Obesity.com, but I got my info from my daughter who is in Tennessee. There is going to be a huge shortage of lap banding for Medicare patients with this new rule. If you don't get into a state of the art hospital Medicare won't pay a dime. If Obesity.com doesn't list them I would run a google on Center of Excellence or State of Excellence Hospitals and see what I came up with. I'm just lucky I have a very persistent daughter.

:wow2: That is a wide range of emotions in a short period of time. He does know what is best and I'm glad to hear you put things in His hands. Prayers aren't always answered with a yes, but as Romans 8:28 says, "All things work together for good......"

Vanderbilt? I don't think it gets much better than that.

GOOD FOR YOU!! :clap2: I am so happy for you. :dance: You deserve it!!!

Dody -

Congratulations! How exciting! Hope everything goes really well... how cool is Vanderbilt? Yea!

Center of Excellence. I googled it....here's the link......

http://www.asbs.org/html/about/coe.html

I didn't realize my hospital, St. Vincent Carmel, and my surgeon, Dr. Evanson were listed. They weren't there in Jan, but Dr. E did say they were a Center of Excellence.

Thanks for bringing that up Doty. God keeps giving me little signs. :biggrin1:

Dody, I found a list of them by googling the American Association of Bariatic Surgeons. Now I am off to find a hospital (Center of Excellence) that isn't too far from me that accepts medicare patients and their doctors do lap bands! If it isn't one thing, its 10!

Dody, I found a list of them by googling the American Association of Bariatic Surgeons. Now I am off to find a hospital (Center of Excellence) that isn't too far from me that accepts medicare patients and their doctors do lap bands! If it isn't one thing, its 10!

This new ruling by Medicare is just one roadblock, but we can and will get around it with perseverence and God's help. Stay strong and find that hospital. There are many of them. It's just a matter of if they take Medicare or not. Good luck to you.

Dody, that is great. Your post bought tears to my eyes. You remind me of my mother with your generousity towards your family.