Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Should The Clear Bandage Stay On Over My Incisions?

Hi, I had surgery last Wednesday, 7/25. Over my incisions, the doctor put steri-strips, over those is a small square of guaze and then each incision has a clear bandage (that seals the wound) over them. They told me as the clear bandages start to lift that I can remove them but not to remove the steri-strips underneath. Any idea how long these clear bandages should stay on? They are not peeling but the skin underneath is getting itchy and irritated. I just don't want to take them off too soon. Thanks!

No, I have a super glue like substance on and it ain't going no where. I had surgery 7/19 and that glue is still tight. Even bathing, sweating, etc. Glad I didn't have to deal with the gauze. Email or call your doc.

i left mine on until they fell off. my nurse in hospital told me to leave them on there so i did.

I came home with just the steri-strips. No clear gauze stuff (I'm guessing it's the same stuff they used to hold my IV in place that you're talking about). I would think that if the steri-strips stay in place, you can take the guaze off. You don't want to end up with an infection under it from your skin getting irritated. Of course, I would call your surgeon this morning and talk to his/her nurse to get an official "OK".

Good luck! Hope it's feeling better soon!

I had surgury on 7/20 and had my post op appt on 7/26. At post op I was told one more week with the clear covering. At that time I can take of the clear covering off and let the steri strips come off on there own.

I was told to let them fall off on there own but by the time I went to my post op appointment all but one were gone so the Doc took it off so he could see how all the incisions were healing up.

nice information to all. My band date is Aug 6.