Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Help. 5 Years Post-Op

I need help.

I am 5 years post-op and have only lost 20lbs from my original banded weight.

I haven't had a fill in 2 years and can't afford a visit either as it's $125.00/ visit for me. I am also living in a different state from where I got banded.

I would love to start losing more weight but need help knowing where to start with what foods/liquids.

do i go back to a liquid diet for a week or so?

I have never been given a nutritionist or dietician who specialized in lap-band or even knew anything re it.

I have looked thru the questions and answers re post banding but none are about several years down the road.

Can anyone help?

Please do not suggest going to the dr as I just can't afford the cost of the visits.

Thanks,

Kevin

The bad news is that if you don't go back to your Dr then it is unlikely that you are going to be able to utilise the band the way in which it is intended. It would have been like buying a new car 5 years ago, never servicing it or putting petrol in and still expecting it to run perfectly - it just doesn't happen.

You may as well pick a diet, any diet that you think you can stick to and try that. Eat fresh unprocessed foods, cut out the junk and Snacks and make sure not to drink your calories. And the other thing to do is exercise.

If you really want to be able to work your band properly then I suggest you try and find a way to cover the cost of the Dr's visit. Is there something you can give up for a couple of weeks that would enable you to save the money?e.g. Could you walk or cycle to work( that would save money and give you exercise.

Sorry to say but if you cant go to the doc regularly and get fills when you need them then you may as well not have a band - it simply will not work without that restriction. Even seven years out i m in regular contact and occasionlly have top up fills.

Just curious, so many people seem to end up in your position - do financial circumstances change (which cant be helped) or do you not understand this commitment going in?

I dont mean to be negative, but the only real answer is to see your doc if its a ack f restriction, which you dont make clear but it sounds that way.

Hi Jacqui:

When I had the band done the financial committment was there.

However the economy caused my company to lay off 125 people and I was 1 of those people even though I had 27 years tenure with the company.

I am now on a fixed income due to it.

what is a ack f restriction?

Oh dear, so can you eat the same amount of food as you did before the band? You DEFINETLY need to see a doc :( I mean what if your band has slipped off or eroded? Maybe that's why you havnt been loosing much weight so please please please go to a doctor just to make sure there are no serious problems.

Sorry, lack of restriction.

I really feel for you, the way your System works with health insurance linked to your employment.

If i were you Id move heaven and earth to get to the doc (or a closer one). Otherwise its just down to diet and exercise.

Although we ll have to face that at times, you cant jst go tighter everytime you gain a little!

If you don't have insurance n can get medicaid...I heard they pay for lap band n fills

Sent from my SGH-T989 using LapBandTalk

If you don't have insurance n can get medicaid...I heard they pay for lap band n fills

Sent from my SGH-T989 using LapBandTalk

That is true

I understand the financial restraints but, it seems as though you need a fill and maybe a check up. All offices don't charge $125. I just found an office here on Dallas, TX that does fills for $50. I suggest you call around to bariatric offices in your city. Maybe you can find a price that you can handle. Good Luck!