Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused About Proper Restriction Level

I am 5 weeks out from surgery, completely unfilled and no fill for another two weeks. I can easily eat 1 1/2 cups of food at a meal and Snacks in between. I have maintained my weight the past 4 weeks. I am trying to wrap my head around what proper restriction feels like. I assumed the "green zone" would have me eating up to 1 cup per meal and satisfy me for 4-5 hours. But I see people all the time on here saying the hit the zone and are eating six bites and they are full. How are six bites helping you reach your Protein requirements? I don't want to rely on supplements for my nutrition. I want to be able to eat a healthy diet that is satisfying. Is six dime-sized bites really what I'm trying to achieve with fills?

Confused.

It's confusing, I agree. The fact so many walk around with their bands too tight then post about it here as if it's normal doesn't help either.

You correct what restriction is supposed to be: Satisfied with no more than 1 cup of food for 4-5 hours. That doesn't mean you won't physically be able to eat more than a cup of food but that you'll no longer be hunger after a cup of food.

Some people intentionally make their bands tighter than that. As for myself, I'm way too afraid of slips and prefer to keep mine reasonable.

I'm glad you asked this Indy...I have some of the same concerns. I got for my first fill on Monday. I read on here a lot about people eating 3 or 4 bites and being full....and I say to myself "How can this be good for you?" That can't possibly be the point. Yes, I realize I need to loose weight, but we also need to eat healthy and fulfill the requirements set out before us.

Thank you Mis for clarifying some things.

I eat much more then 3-4 bites and I am filled to 6ccs! I eat all my meals on a bread size plate. I eat healthy foods. I have had much success! Don't count your bites! Just eat & chew!

My fear with living too tight would be when the time comes and you HAVE to have that unfill, you'd be able to take in more food comfortably and gain weight. Being too tight may not be intentional, and some people may not realize they are for some time, but it puts you into starvation mode (if you can only eat a few bites per meal) and that never turns out well for your body. I did a Very Low Calorie Diet for 3 months last year, dropped 40 lbs fast, but when I went back to eating "normal" I gained it all back plus. I don't think living intentionally with a too-tight band would work out well in the end.

Thank you! I was beginning to think I was crazy and not coming to terms with how little I need to eat. I never thought about people who are intentionally pushing their restriction to the edge to achieve faster results. I'm fine with slow....but it has to be steady.

I eat much more then 3-4 bites and I am filled to 6ccs! I eat all my meals on a bread size plate. I eat healthy foods. I have had much success! Don't count your bites! Just eat & chew!

How much have you lost?

It's confusing' date=' I agree. The fact so many walk around with their bands too tight then post about it here as if it's normal doesn't help either.

You correct what restriction is supposed to be: Satisfied with no more than 1 cup of food for 4-5 hours. That doesn't mean you won't physically be able to eat more than a cup of food but that you'll no longer be hunger after a cup of food.

Some people intentionally make their bands tighter than that. As for myself, I'm way too afraid of slips and prefer to keep mine reasonable.[/quote']

It this everything combined to equal 1 cup? For example 3-4 ozs of meat, veggie, and starch? I'm a bit confused here as well and I'm 15 months post op! I'm a little embarrassed to ask. :(

It this everything combined to equal 1 cup? For example 3-4 ozs of meat, veggie, and starch? I'm a bit confused here as well and I'm 15 months post op! I'm a little embarrassed to ask. :(

Yes, everything is supposed to be about a cup total. For instance, last night I had a 4oz pork chop, 1/4 cup of green Beans and 1/4 cup of mashed potatoes for dinner. I used measure everything but I've been doing this for 7 months so now I can pretty accurately eyeball the amounts

Don't be embarrassed, it's always good to ask :)

This is one thing I will focus on is to eat no more than a cup, so far only a half three days after this most current fill of 1/4cc doesn't quite put me at 6cc but real close.

weight.png

For the longest time I was always waiting for restriction. I couldn't understand why my p.a. would tell me that it's not about restriction, it's about being "satisfied" on smaller amounts of food. I couldn't wait to be restricted! Well, it happened over a month ago and it was no fun. Had some removed and felt so much better.

So now I have accepted that I may be hungry before 4 hours has passed. I can still pretty much eat anything which is ok by me. I have friends that can't eat a lot of different things that I am able to. But I weigh and measure everything out and really am pretty satisfied at the time of my meal. So, I too can eat more than a cup of food at a time, but I don't. Now if could conquer every battle in the head and not give into snacking, that would be nice!!!!!!

i try to listen to my bodys wants and needs, as what works for one may not work for another. I 'm in the green zone, but finding my band tighter in the am ,so i able to eat less in the morning and more in the late afternoon and evening. if i want a snack 3 hrs after a lite lunch , i have one because my body is telling me to eat something, so i eat some healthy like yogurt, almonds or, today a morning glory muffin. (a bran muffin with chopped apple,banana, and sunflower seeds. ) try to be a little understanding of what your band is telling you, it may be a different than what someone else's band is telling them.

So now I have accepted that I may be hungry before 4 hours has passed. I can still pretty much eat anything which is ok by me. I have friends that can't eat a lot of different things that I am able to. But I weigh and measure everything out and really am pretty satisfied at the time of my meal. So, I too can eat more than a cup of food at a time, but I don't. Now if could conquer every battle in the head and not give into snacking, that would be nice!!!!!!

I absolutely agree Holly. I am only 7 weeks out and I've only had one fill, but I fix my plate (measure everything out) and that is what I eat. Am I still hungry after my food is gone...sometimes yes, but I have had my meal so I don't eat anything else. I try to hold off between meal hunger with water/CL Tea, but when that no longer satisfies that urge to eat, then I will have a small snack. Usually nuts, string cheese, 1/2 a Protein bar (snack/light meal 10g Protein ones). So far I have been successful. I eat less than 1200 calories everyday. I use myfitnesspal to monitor my meals/exercise. I have lost 19 lbs since surgery (6/19) and 32 lbs since January (my heaviest).

You have to do what works for you within the guidelines given to you. After my first fill, the PA told me I am on my own to decide if I need fills or not. There is no schedule. So now I really have to pay attention to my band. So far, I'm OK with where I am. I don't ever want to be too tight. I have only 3cc's in a 10cc band. I'm going to stay here for a while to see how I'm doing.

I remember being at a 3cc fill and as much as I wanted to eat lots of things, I stuck to the foods on my list. But I really didn't start understanding what restriction felt like until about 4cc. Now that I'm at 5.75 cc I realize how important chewing a lot, small bites, and taking my time means. It's crucial and also important that I make every bite count with Protein and veggies. Good luck in journey:)

weight.png