Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Anyone Debating To Convert To Sleeve

I am glad you are sharing your experiences, and please do not stop coming to this forum and keep sharing with us. I am not even banded yet, just trying to get all the information about all the WLS available to make the best possible decision I can, and comments like yours are a big help. It makes me think and check out what is really the sleeve is about. I really like the band as it is not permanent, but I like the sleeve as -if everything goes well- there is not hassle with it in the future....So thanks again! And best luck to everybody on this journey!

I wasnt objecting to anything you were saying or suggesing that you were bashing th band, merely pointing out a few exceptions to your "data". I would indeed consider a sleeve myself. No need to be so fricking defensive. Jeez.

No need to be so fricking defensive. Jeez.

Ha ha ha, that is the one bad side effect of the sleeve, the first few month after being sleeved we go through a period of accelerated weight loss. And since estrogen is stored in fat, it get released into our system so quickly that we become a bit more defensive than we typically are. Fortunately that is temporary.

I am new to this forum and I have a question for those of you having a revision. My doctor wants to do a revision on my from my lap band to a possible sleeve, although we haven't decided which procedure we will do. I have had the band in since 3-2010 and the best weight loss I had is 30 lbs. I am almost the same weight I was when I had to band put on, and I throw up at almost every meal. they have taken liquid out of my band but I still vomit or food gets stuck. I have tricare prime, and I was wondering if anyone else has tricare. for the band they approved it within 24 hrs. I still have type 2 diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol,take meds for all those as well as anxiety and to sleep. any suggestions on how to get tricare to approve the revision since it hasn't been at least 2 years since the band placement? Oh and we are suppose to move at the 2 year mark making this even more difficult. I also do not see military doctors. any suggestions or guidance is appreciated

Lisa.

Are you saying that Tricare won't cover revision surgery until you reach your 2-year anniversary?

I have a friend who revised from the band to RNY, not because of problems with the band but because after losing 100 lbs with the band, her weight loss stopped and she still needed to lose 100 lbs. Tricare covered her revision, which was done about 4 years after her band surgery. She wanted to revise to the sleeve, but Tricare wouldn't cover it.

I know lots of people who had to wait a few months between band removal and revision surgery, usually because their stomaches needed that time to heal. I tried to do band removal and sleeve revision in one operation this spring and my surgeon wasn't able to do the sleeve because she found an esophageal stricture we didn't know I had, so I ended up waiting about 3 more months for my sleeve surgery. My surgeon says that any kind of revision surgery is riskier and more difficult than a first surgery. And unless the patient is himself a bariatric surgeon, I doubt he's qualified to decide whether a one-step or two-step revision is safe. Nothing wrong with telling your surgeon that a one-step revision is your preference, but if your surgeon says no, I think you should take his/her advice. If you don't trust your surgeon to make the right decision for you, why are you letting him/her operate on you?

I was banded Sept 2006, my tubing broke mid tube near my xyphoid process and had to be repaired nov 2009. Today i found out my repair is leaking, no restriction. I am BMI of 24-25. I am not trusting my self to live 30+ years without help. I am converting my band to sleeve sept 6 2012, almost 6 yrs to the date. I am paying out of pocket for the sleeve like I did for the band and the repair. The removal or repair would be 5-7K, for an additional 6k I will convert and never deal with this again- - i hope. My port has been uncomfortable from day one, i have done better than alot of band pts and Im NOT going back to fat ! I have changed my lifestyle, my spouse hasnt, I fight the fight every day! Unfortunately eating is a basic requirement for life, unlike smoking or alcohol- - you cant live without food. I will follow those who have converted and hope I have a positive outcome- - Im aware of the risks- - - none are small including the band.

I would do exactlyt the same thing. I know I couldnt keep ALL of my weight off without the band. I think it'd take a while to get back to what I was but at some point, like the first time round, you just give up, dont you? You just think you cant beat it and you just completely let yourself go.

My trouble is, I have a deal with my surgeon, where I am covered for life for all aftercare and any revision surgery. And my clinic does lapbands only. So I'd have the problem of convincing another surgeon to do the surgery, at a BMI of 20 or so, and I'd pay for it. Whereas I'd be getting another band at no cost and no questions asked. Which is probably all it would take to head me down that path again. I've been very happy with it.

But I was so fearful when i had to unfill it! And you live with the fear that somethign could go wrong at any time. At least with a sleeve, once its done, its done. Nobody can take it away, or force you to unfill it when you have some other health problem and they think you're too thin or anythign like that. and it cant break!

My trouble is, I have a deal with my surgeon, where I am covered for life for all aftercare and any revision surgery. And my clinic does lapbands only. So I'd have the problem of convincing another surgeon to do the surgery, at a BMI of 20 or so, and I'd pay for it. Whereas I'd be getting another band at no cost and no questions asked. Which is probably all it would take to head me down that path again.

OMG thats a GREAT deal- - -im converting because Im tired of paying for mechanical failures - - - otherwise i LOVE my band !! I hate losing it and just pray the sleeve is as Great a tool for me as my band!!!! I will miss my band!! Thats my fear there is not tightening of the sleeve.

Jean,

No I am not saying they will not pay for a revision they have a new policy that says you have to have had your WLS AT least 2 years before they would consider you for another surgery. You have to have failed at weight loss of at least 50% of your original weight and/or not reached 10% of your ideal body weight. I am just trying to make sure all my ducks in a row in case they deny me because it has not been 2 years. But we are do to move around the 2 year mark. We could get sent somewhere that can't support wls or do it. . I hope I can convert if not just for the weight loss for the ability to keep my meals down, I vomit at least once a meal. food gets stuck and I am soooo tired of it.

Jean,

No I am not saying they will not pay for a revision they have a new policy that says you have to have had your WLS AT least 2 years before they would consider you for another surgery. You have to have failed at weight loss of at least 50% of your original weight and/or not reached 10% of your ideal body weight. I am just trying to make sure all my ducks in a row in case they deny me because it has not been 2 years. But we are do to move around the 2 year mark. We could get sent somewhere that can't support wls or do it. . I hope I can convert if not just for the weight loss for the ability to keep my meals down, I vomit at least once a meal. food gets stuck and I am soooo tired of it.

What if your surgeon could make a case for having to do a revision due to medical problems resulting from your band? Would that speed up the process? Just a thought...

My band broke(tubing) twiCe. I converted a year ago. Best move ever- see you at sleevetalk..com.

My band broke(tubing) twiCe. I converted a year ago. Best move ever- see you at sleevetalk..com.

Glad You're doing better. And the sleeve is working well for you. I wish you continued success. :)

Your post this morning is such a coincidence!!......I hear so many people debating what surgery to get when I go to some of the seminars my surgical group puts on. ( They really like it when us "alumni" come back as they call me ) They like to show us off I guess....a product of all their hard work! :P

But I really do like going when I can...just to talk with some of the folks who were right where I was 4 years ago, debating should I really do this. After all, they hold the meetings very close to my home, at a convention center with a top notch steakhouse/bar. (wonderful selection of beer/wine and crabcakes after the meeting!!!) But I digress....

My surgical team does bands, sleeves, RNY's and they discuss each at their seminars. Prospective people ask questions about each, as they should from what they've heard/read/seen on TV/heard on the radio/or even what they've read on here.

The reason your post caught my eye was last night at work, I had some free time...ok a lot of free time thankfully. I thought I'd take a look over on sleevetalk....just to see how wonderful it was OR wasn't from people who are sleeved. Funny thing.....there were some very successful and happy folks on there....And some who were miserable, not losing, leakage, obstruction, can't eat, etc, etc. And those are the ones I feel sad for....How can they ADJUST their sleeve? Maybe I'll ask that question at the next seminar I attend, or next time I go to the office.

Whenever I get sleeve envy I do exactly what you have done too, go and visit VST and yes that usually cures me.

...definitely wasn't envious, as I couldn't be happier with my band.....I was just curious. But you are correct Elcee, it would have certainly turned me away. :blink:

If you want to see depressing just search these forums as well. You act as if the lapband doesn't have its fair share of problems theres tons of dissapointed people on here. I was just offering my experience and leaks are VERY rare. People who are curious I was just offering them an option. I am 100% happy and have had 0 complications and so do most of the people who have had the sleeve. There's complications with everything but at least it is life long and not a contious worry if you're leaking or if it's slipped.